Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Your "go-to" ride

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-21, 07:26 PM
stephr1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Imagine some dude in Florida wanted to go to Pittsburg to buy some steel, but was really bad with maps and ended up at your house instead. So he murdered your dad and brother who were visiting, and moved in to your house. First he let you and your kids live in the garage, until he decided he wanted the garage so he let you live in your minibarn. Then his son ***** your daughter, and when you attacked his son he murdered you. Then he decided the minibarn was useful so he got the police to come and relocate your two remaining kids to a homeless camp across town.

A couple generations later, when his grandkids are still living on the property formerly yours, and your grandkids have moved back to the area, imagine what they think when they realize his grandkids built a gazebo in the old backyard, and call it "Trek 520" because you had a Trek 520 hanging in your garage back in the day. The gazebo builders think it's a quaint name, and it honors the people who lived there before.

Does anybody alive at the end of the story feel offended?

It's a weird story, but truth is stranger than fiction.
Or maybe born-again Chistians for taking the Lord's name in vain. Who knows what goes thru the minds of people.

Your story....abt recent squatters in FL homes...or a bit further back in history. Or maybe it was abt the Black family whose ancestors owned, what is now, prime Venice (iirc) Beach property that was taken away from their ancestors because of racial misappropriation. In that case, the city has decided to give it (or, at least, some major potion of it) back to the family.
Old 10-25-21, 08:06 PM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 159 Posts

This is my go to after work road ride

And this is the local mountain bike trail I take my kinda cyclocross bike on
Old 10-25-21, 09:38 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
my go to is a 21 mile figure 8 through the presidio, across the golden gate, and the southern end of the marin headlands. about 1,600’ of climbing. weather conditions vary greatly day to day and within the route but it’s always pretty epic with some amazing roads through the headlands.

Likes For mschwett:
Old 10-26-21, 09:50 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,635 Times in 946 Posts
I've got two. The first is the Westside Canal Loop to the west.
https://www.strava.com/activities/6162740064

The second is the Sky Harbor Loop in the other direction.
https://www.strava.com/activities/6129567584

There are other loops. But these require almost no planning.
Likes For locolobo13:
Old 10-26-21, 10:17 AM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 72 Posts
Got a beautiful figure eight I like to do right out of my front door. Takes me through grassy fields, Redwood groves, orchards, vineyards, farms, oak forests and amazing hilltop vistas. Not uncommon for the fog from the coast to be hugging that route, so I'll be dipping in and out of fog cover. On the hilltops I will often get a beautiful view of the fog rolling over the hills. 25 miles with about 1,800 feet of climb. All hills all the time.

Likes For Pantah:
Old 10-29-21, 07:22 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
my go to is a 21 mile figure 8 through the presidio, across the golden gate, and the southern end of the marin headlands. about 1,600’ of climbing. weather conditions vary greatly day to day and within the route but it’s always pretty epic with some amazing roads through the headlands
oh interesting those hills are quite something. our family visited the area when our kids weren't even teens. rented bikes at the wharf, road across the bridge, got lost but found a tunnel & a bus stop. kids were not happy & the hills were terrifying for Daddy to watch the kids but they made me proud. made it to Sausalito where we rewarded them w/ food, adults w/ beer & all of us w/ ice cream. narrow roads tho & those tour busses! eek! took the tiny ferry back! & met this guy in Sausalito at the ferry launch. wonder if he is still there
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 10-29-21, 08:02 AM
sbrudno

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 29 Posts
I live in Northern Virginia (Great Falls) with Difficult Run (a stream tributary dumping into the Potomac River) in our back yard. On the other side of the stream is the Fairfax County Trail. The trail is over 40 miles long from the Potomac to the Occoquan River. Most of the trail is packed dirt but mostly smooth. Not perfect for fancy road bikes but good for my hybrid Motobecan. I just have to ride through the back of a neighbor's yard and onto the trail for access across the stream. It goes through residential areas and under multiple bridges, some historic sites. Since it is so close, this is my go-to bike ride.
I have not posted 10 times yet so cannot post the URL but you can look up "Fairfax County Trail".
Likes For sbrudno:
Old 10-29-21, 02:46 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
oh interesting those hills are quite something. our family visited the area when our kids weren't even teens. rented bikes at the wharf, road across the bridge, got lost but found a tunnel & a bus stop. kids were not happy & the hills were terrifying for Daddy to watch the kids but they made me proud. made it to Sausalito where we rewarded them w/ food, adults w/ beer & all of us w/ ice cream. narrow roads tho & those tour busses! eek! took the tiny ferry back! & met this guy in Sausalito at the ferry launch. wonder if he is still there
nice! 99% of the people who rent bikes and ride across the bridge don’t go up into the headlands. the main climb up conzelman road is really not that bad, it’s pretty gradual, something like 600’ from the bridge and half of it is at 4-5 percent. the rest 5-10. totally doable on a daily basis, and the scenery never gets old.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 11-01-21, 02:26 PM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
nice! 99% of the people who rent bikes and ride across the bridge don’t go up into the headlands. the main climb up conzelman road is really not that bad, it’s pretty gradual, something like 600’ from the bridge and half of it is at 4-5 percent. the rest 5-10. totally doable on a daily basis, and the scenery never gets old.
Haven't actually taken any of my bikes down to the headlands before but I've done some running down there and I agree, scenery is fantastic. Some of the dirt trails can get seriously steep though. Doable on a run but I'd hesitate to take any bike on a few of them.
Old 11-01-21, 03:00 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by Pantah
Haven't actually taken any of my bikes down to the headlands before but I've done some running down there and I agree, scenery is fantastic. Some of the dirt trails can get seriously steep though. Doable on a run but I'd hesitate to take any bike on a few of them.
no doubt. If you stick to the ones listed for bikes on the maps, there aren’t toooooo many hike-a-bike sections. But definitely bring MTB gearing, most mortals can’t ride up a 20% dirt slope with little tiny cogs in back!
Old 11-01-21, 05:00 PM
BkSaGo

Bikes: CAAD9 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
When I needed an after work up to about 10 mile ride, my Go To was a local residential street with a bike lane and not too many traffic lights (Anza for anyone familiar with the area). Could add some extra loops branching off into neighborhoods to get to ~10 miles.

For more than 10 miles, down to the beach around Redondo Beach Pier then up and down the coast (mix of streets and MUP) as far as I want.
Likes For BkSaGo:
Old 11-01-21, 05:29 PM
Joearch

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 32 Posts
My go to is a 25 mi or so along the Pacific. Really sweet early in the mornings.

Likes For Joearch:
Old 11-02-21, 08:42 AM
tornado60

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Around my hometown. It's a nice place to ride. I am very lucky that way.
Likes For tornado60: