Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ping noise from rear wheel when pedaling after coast

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-22, 05:23 PM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts

Hello. I just finished building my Surly Cross Check this year and so everything is new on it. I originally built it up with some entry level wheels and had no noise. I since upgraded to some wheels with Velocity rims and Miche hubs. Since this change I've noticed that randomly I'll hear a ping sound after I coast and start pedaling again. I think it has that spoke echo sound to it so that's one reason I'm pretty sure it's the rear wheel. I probably have almost 200 miles on the wheels so I think all the noises with new wheels should be done. I went on a 40 mile ride last weekend and it never made the noise. This morning I did my 7.6 mile ride and I heard it a couple times. It is always after I coast and right when I start pedaling again. Today I almost thought I felt the ping in the drivetrain while I pedaled, but usually it just seems like a noise. So far it seems like it happens about once every other ride, and I can't seem to do anything to make it happen to help me track it down. I was hoping this would just go away, but now I'm worried it won't. Because I saw it suggested I put some chain oil on the spokes where they cross today. That has worked for me in the past with weird noises. Any ideas what this could be or what else I might do?
Old 08-03-22, 05:54 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by BikingViking793
Hello. I just finished building my Surly Cross Check this year and so everything is new on it. I originally built it up with some entry level wheels and had no noise. I since upgraded to some wheels with Velocity rims and Miche hubs. Since this change I've noticed that randomly I'll hear a ping sound after I coast and start pedaling again. I think it has that spoke echo sound to it so that's one reason I'm pretty sure it's the rear wheel. I probably have almost 200 miles on the wheels so I think all the noises with new wheels should be done. I went on a 40 mile ride last weekend and it never made the noise. This morning I did my 7.6 mile ride and I heard it a couple times. It is always after I coast and right when I start pedaling again. Today I almost thought I felt the ping in the drivetrain while I pedaled, but usually it just seems like a noise. So far it seems like it happens about once every other ride, and I can't seem to do anything to make it happen to help me track it down. I was hoping this would just go away, but now I'm worried it won't. Because I saw it suggested I put some chain oil on the spokes where they cross today. That has worked for me in the past with weird noises. Any ideas what this could be or what else I might do?
Grab spokes by the pair on each side (one side at a time) and squeeze them together. You are looking for spokes that feel significantly looser than other spokes. If you find one (or two or more) you need to bring the tension on those spokes back up to the same tightness as the other spokes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-03-22, 11:40 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Does it only happen on the largest cog? I'm thinking RDER flicking the spokes.
Old 08-04-22, 05:21 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
Its the pawls on the freehub body engaging with the hub. If they just catch the edge of one of the teeth in the hub, it will skip forward as you apply pressure and make that "ping" sound. I have a couple of Novatec hubs that do the same thing.
Old 08-04-22, 07:46 AM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Does it only happen on the largest cog? I'm thinking RDER flicking the spokes.
I do t think I ever use the largest. Usually in the middle somewhere.
Old 08-04-22, 07:51 AM
BikingViking793 

Originally Posted by dsaul
Its the pawls on the freehub body engaging with the hub. If they just catch the edge of one of the teeth in the hub, it will skip forward as you apply pressure and make that "ping" sound. I have a couple of Novatec hubs that do the same thing.
that definitely sounds like what could be happening. Would explain why it has only happened after coasting. I’ve not had this happen with other bikes, is the free hub defective in some way or just something some freehubs do?
Old 08-04-22, 08:18 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
Originally Posted by BikingViking793
that definitely sounds like what could be happening. Would explain why it has only happened after coasting. I’ve not had this happen with other bikes, is the free hub defective in some way or just something some freehubs do?
Its just something that some hubs do. One of my hubs has been doing it since I got it and its been in heavy use for at least 5 years with no ill effects.