Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Got another Garmin 800!

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Got another Garmin 800!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-22, 04:52 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Got another Garmin 800!

So for our up coming tour in Europe I decided that I would like a Gatmin on my bike also. My wife is the navigator and does great! But I will keep mine set to watch the turn by turn.
We have had our 800 since 2013 and it has petformed flawlessly. So not wanting to invest a lot of $ I searched and found a gently used one on ebay. Coupled with getying maps via BBBike I have done some test maps and rides and it works great. So the other day I "extracted" the Europe map I needed. Had to do this twice as I did not notice you need to download/claim it within a set time period.
So for $70 I'm set!
Old 08-06-22, 12:37 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
Had to do this twice as I did not notice you need to download/claim it within a set time period.
You can copy the map from one unit to another.

It’s easier if your computer has two USB ports but you can use one (and copy the file to your computer as an intermediate step).

I don’t know what you did with the zip file you downloaded the first time. If you deleted it, it might have been possible to have restored it from the recycle bin.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-06-22 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-06-22, 05:59 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

I neglected to down load the file after I requested it. Apparently you only have a set amount of time before it "expires". So I just re-requesyed it and then as soon as I got the email I downloaded it onto our desktop. Then to a micro Sd card and popped it into the Garmin.
Old 08-07-22, 03:54 PM
njkayaker

I neglected to down load the file after I requested it. Apparently you only have a set amount of time before it "expires". So I just re-requesyed it and then as soon as I got the email I downloaded it onto our desktop. Then to a micro Sd card and popped it into the Garmin.
Ahh.

The requests eat up disk space. They can’t be kept “forever” (there is no reason people can’t download them promptly).
Old 08-07-22, 07:22 PM
Tandem Tom

Going to be returning the 800. It will not recognize the SD with a map on it. A bit frustrating
Old 08-08-22, 07:12 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Going to be returning the 800. It will not recognize the SD with a map on it. A bit frustrating
You did follow all the steps carefully, like (IIRC) unzipping the map files, copying them into the SD card in the New Files subdirectory, and waiting a good while for the files to be unpacked and moved into their correct and final location -- right?

That said, buying 8 year old electronics is buying a pig in a poke.
Old 08-08-22, 09:06 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by pdlamb;22602739[b
][/b]...., copying them into the SD card in the New Files subdirectory, ....
Just copy the img files to \Garmin.