Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Safety advice for new riders?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Safety advice for new riders?

Old 03-09-22, 01:12 PM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by rossiny
hard to watch. Maybe they will start just sending you a video in your mail and verify you speeding with plates and a ticket. Distracted driving lately is scarey . I saw a lady other day pass me with her phone in hand and looking at it.
You're not even safe on the sidewalk... Woman Hit by Car While Walking on Sidewalk
Old 03-25-22, 04:20 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Best place to start is by downloading the John Forester guides, like the one Effective Cycling. He rightly advocated that people on bikes need to conduct themselves like anyone else using a vehicle on the road. It is when cyclists go through stop signs or ride along close to the curb and encounter a parked car and then suddenly go out into the traffic lane and surprise motorists or when going against traffic that a collision is more likely to occur.

Drivers open doors in front of cyclists and make turns in front of cyclists (and sometimes over cyclists) and so I avoid streets with high levels of traffic and bike lanes in particular. One advantage of an e-bike is that one can go faster and stay up with the flow of traffic.

Important to be visible and that means avoiding dark clothing or at least having a bright yellow or dayglow green jacket or vest and don't cover it with a backpack.

A bright flashing tail light is something that can help and they are not expensive. The Garmin Bike radar Varia RTL515 is a rear light and a radar the alerts the rider when a car is approaching and can provide warning at distances of 140 yards. It provides an audible warning and also can be used with the Garmin display or with a Garmin Edge or the Wahoo bike computers to show a visible tracking as a vehicle comes closer.

I would also look into the Lumos bike helmets with integrated lights if you plan to ride at night.
Old 03-26-22, 07:22 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by gpburdell
You're not even safe on the sidewalk... Woman Hit by Car While Walking on Sidewalk
You're not even safe from cars inside a building...
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3564461
Old 03-26-22, 09:25 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
You're not even safe from cars inside a building...
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3564461
Thanks. Got it. Car Are the Evil. Car are Bad to the Bone.

Any other bicycle safety advice?
Old 03-26-22, 11:21 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
When I was a kid my father put it clearly - "Just 'cuz they're supposed to doesn't mean they will"...
Teaching my son to drive and telling him to look both ways at an intersection. "But I have the green light!" "It's not a force field."
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 03-30-22, 09:32 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
terrible

Originally Posted by work4bike
Especially nowadays when people are seemingly looking at their phones more than the road. This has become such a problem in today's world, not as uncommon as some would think...

https://youtu.be/2QNjlfq3nXs
man cars have become a nightmare. The cost is mind boggling. why not just send the ticket in the mail.? With the tech today is very easy..
The driver pulled over could have lost his life , and others on the highway.
Old 03-30-22, 10:45 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3742 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 765 Posts
When I see videos like below it makes me want to see higher gas prices. People can't see, yet they're riding around like they can. Just the other day, I had someone tailgating me, then swerved around me at a very high rate of speed just to fill the gap between me and the driver in front of me -- I was slowing down for a red light -- the idiot got nowhere.

Obviously the high gas prices are not hurting enough with the volume seeming the same, but more importantly, the drivers are still driving around like speed demons. I'm ready
see $10 gas...

Likes For work4bike:
Old 04-01-22, 07:06 AM
Daniel4

Nobody is safe from bad drivers.
A driver ran his SUV through a red light smashing into a flatbed truck and killing pedestrians. The article doesn't say it but traffic cones smashed through a barbershop where shards of glass cut customers.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...rash-1.6404574
Old 04-01-22, 07:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Nobody is safe from bad drivers.
A driver ran his SUV through a red light smashing into a flatbed truck and killing pedestrians. The article doesn't say it but traffic cones smashed through a barbershop where shards of glass cut customers.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...rash-1.6404574
How is that safety advice to new riders?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-01-22, 07:34 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by livedarklions
How is that safety advice to new riders?
The same way YouTube videos of crashes on Interstate highways are bicycling safety advice to new riders.
Old 04-01-22, 07:45 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
The same way YouTube videos of crashes on Interstate highways are bicycling safety advice to new riders.

New riders: Don't go to the barber shop!
Old 04-01-22, 08:42 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by livedarklions
New riders: Don't go to the barber shop!
Or at the very least leave your helmet on and keep your video camera running.
Old 04-01-22, 10:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Or at the very least leave your helmet on and keep your video camera running.

"Bike Helmets: The New Haircut Bowls"
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-15-22, 02:07 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 381 Posts
If it hasn't been mentioned, don't listen to music while riding. Your ears can tell you a lot about what is going on behind you. They can tell you a vehicle is approaching, the can tell you how fast it is approaching, and they can even tell you when the car is too close to the shoulder (there is more gravel/debris on the shoulder, vehicle tires sound different when they move off the clean road surface and onto the less clean shoulder).

Next, assume drivers can't see you (many don't), and ride accordingly. If you see a car waiting to pull onto the street in front of you, assume that it won't see you as it pulls out, so be ready to slow down or evade the car. The same applies to a car turning left at an intersection, or entering a parking lot. Motorcyclists are especially careful when they see turn signals on cars coming the opposite way.

Avoid roads where you have less room to maneuver, or where there are lots of large trucks, or in neighborhoods where many people probably don't have licenses or insurance to drive. Even when a traffic light is green, look both ways as you cross and intersection, people are so busy playing with their phones that there has been a large increase in the number of people running through red lights.

When turning or waiting for a light, don't wait behind another car, wait on one side or the other, you don't want to be the filling in a vehicle sandwich. Likewise, don't wait in the center of the lane.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 04-15-22, 06:05 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
If it hasn't been mentioned, don't listen to music while riding. Your ears can tell you a lot about what is going on behind you. They can tell you a vehicle is approaching, the can tell you how fast it is approaching, and they can even tell you when the car is too close to the shoulder (there is more gravel/debris on the shoulder, vehicle tires sound different when they move off the clean road surface and onto the less clean shoulder).

I would offer that if you do listen to music, make sure that it doesn't drown out road noises. While not absolutely necessary to ride safely, being able to hear can certainly add a layer of safety.

Next, assume drivers can't see you (many don't), and ride accordingly. If you see a car waiting to pull onto the street in front of you, assume that it won't see you as it pulls out, so be ready to slow down or evade the car. The same applies to a car turning left at an intersection, or entering a parking lot. Motorcyclists are especially careful when they see turn signals on cars coming the opposite way.

This is very good advice. Plan escape routes, evasive maneuvers.

Avoid roads where you have less room to maneuver, or where there are lots of large trucks, or in neighborhoods where many people probably don't have licenses or insurance to drive. Even when a traffic light is green, look both ways as you cross and intersection, people are so busy playing with their phones that there has been a large increase in the number of people running through red lights.

Road selection is indeed a critical safety factor. Sometimes we arrive at the best roads by trial and error, but route planning using street view can be useful.

When turning or waiting for a light, don't wait behind another car, wait on one side or the other, you don't want to be the filling in a vehicle sandwich. Likewise, don't wait in the center of the lane.

This depends. Based on my reading, being rear ended while stopped at an intersection is rare for bicyclists. I often arrive at an intersection traveling in heavier traffic with vehicles both in front of me and behind me. We all slow together.

When the one behind you slows, you have largely eliminated the rear end threat. By moving over, some motorists will take that as an invitation to slide in beside you. At that point, with you being shuffled out of the line, it can be difficult to reenter the flow.

We all have different strategies that work for us. I didn't respond to tell you that you are wrong or to argue, but rather to give readers something else to think about.
Old 04-15-22, 06:07 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
Never assume what others are going to do. Stay alert and aware of all that is going on around you. Keep all your bikes and gear is good operating condition. Be visible, bright clothing and lights. The best advocate for ones safety is one's self.
Old 04-15-22, 06:07 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I highly disagree with this. making eye contact with drivers is huge. So many times drivers “see” us but don’t really see us. Making eye contact forces them to recognize we are people just like them and to deal with us accordingly.

admittedly, it’s not fool proof but making eye contact dramatically improves your chances.

10 wheels was correct. Don't rely on eye contact. Been in too many mishsps at intersections at stop signs where there was mutual eye contact and the driver didn't really see me ended up on the pavement. Now I always wait for them to cross the intersection before I go.
Old 04-15-22, 08:52 PM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by frogman
10 wheels was correct. Don't rely on eye contact. Been in too many mishsps at intersections at stop signs where there was mutual eye contact and the driver didn't really see me ended up on the pavement. Now I always wait for them to cross the intersection before I go.
Get a car horn. When on doubt honk at them. The ringy-dingy of bike bells are too feeble to get a distracted or zombie driver's attention.
Old 04-17-22, 11:51 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Get a car horn. When on doubt honk at them. The ringy-dingy of bike bells are too feeble to get a distracted or zombie driver's attention.
Here's something:
https://loudbicycle.com/horn

But I still like AirZound... which is "rechargeable" by simply using a bike tire pump to pressurize the tank... the sound itself is quite loud. The downside... it takes up a water bottle cage.

Old 04-17-22, 11:53 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
Agreed... "eye contact" doesn't really mean they have seen you... people have an odd way of looking right through cyclists. You need more than eyeballs to verify contact... a nod, a wave, something beyond just starring cold eyes.
Likes For genec:
Old 04-17-22, 05:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by genec
Agreed... "eye contact" doesn't really mean they have seen you... people have an odd way of looking right through cyclists. You need more than eyeballs to verify contact... a nod, a wave, something beyond just starring cold eyes.
We're really very bad at figuring out where somebody's eyes are looking. That's why the Mona Lisa seems to be staring at you no matter what angle you're looking at her. Put a windshield between you and it becomes even worse.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-17-22, 07:11 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
The majority of cars around here have dark enough tint on the windows that eye contact isn't really possible.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 04-18-22, 05:03 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3742 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 765 Posts
My sunglasses prevent any eye-to-eye contact. I need those glasses to check out all the scantily clad babes without looking like a dirty old man
Old 04-26-22, 11:55 PM
ErinKeegan

Bikes: Triban RC120 Disc

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckles1
Avoid high traffic roads, busy intersections, etc. until your basic riding skills are solid. Bike paths, side roads until you are expert at cornering, braking, standing up to peddle, dismounting, starting from stop etc.

Practice "ditching" so when a threat arises, your instinct is to immediately get out of the way. City vs country riding have different perils, but every year I find a few situations that require quick decision/response. On rural roads, that often means braking while leaving pavement for soft shoulder, knowing it will be a challenge to stay upright, which you must to avoid falling into path of motor vehicle. Beats being clipped by a distracted driver and a ton or more of speeding steel. Ditching requires getting your feet out to sides to prevent falling as you decellerate.

Learn to anticipate dangerous situations and slow down. Realize that you have to sometimes avoid critters or children or potholes or sewer grates by swerving at speed, so practice that. On rural roads, consider ditching when you hear a big diesel coming up behind you, particularly if approaching a hilltop or oncoming traffic.

Install functional mirrors and use them to be aware of motor vehicles behind you at all times. Practice getting in and out of clip in pedals if you have them. Consider MTB shoes and pedals with toe clips, riding with straps loose so you can pull your left foot out instantly in emergency situations.

Be cautious until you are confident, and never let confidence morph into cockiness. Keep both hands on bars in most situations. If you have drop bars, get your hands to the drops, poised on brake levers whenever you sense danger, and for all high speed riding. Practice getting your weight low and back for hard braking, as in butt behind and below seat.
Thank you for the advice, very helpful
Old 06-25-22, 03:37 PM
Roll123

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Have solid insurance plans to protect the cyclist.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.