Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bryton Rider 750 - Use it or sell it?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-21-22, 03:37 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts

Won in a contest:

https://us.eshop.brytonsport.com/pro...RoCYZoQAvD_BwE

YouTube reviews and write-ups are actually better than I expected. I've been using a Garmin 520+ for the past few years (from many years with an Edge 500). It does what I need it to, but I did plan on exploring other possibilities with the next upgrade. Bryton was not on the list however. I'm pretty invested in the Garmin universe with sensors, Varia, watch, and using Connect. The Bryton would work with all except connect and probably the watch. Strava and Kickr present no issues.

I'd like to try it out but obviously the sell value is better unopened. Then I could buy more shoes I don't need or something.
Old 03-21-22, 05:57 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,346 Times in 934 Posts
Sell it to this guy.

https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...ocomputer.html
Old 03-22-22, 05:34 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Originally Posted by njkayaker
Thank you for trying to hook it up with a new home. Sounds like a good candidate for a used Garmin 520+ too. Still so conflicted.
Old 03-22-22, 06:26 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
I have the 420 and it works. Really no complaints the 750 looks like a upgrade.
Likes For sloppy12:
Old 03-22-22, 11:18 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 438 Posts
Beat it.
Old 03-24-22, 04:45 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
I also have the Ryder 420 and like it a ton. Very accurate recording, decent smartphone app that goes with it. Good long life. But then again, this is a 420.
Old 03-24-22, 05:11 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts
I'd love it if you would use it. I was looking at them since my Roam was giving me problems. I fixed it but now I'm curious.
Old 03-25-22, 07:04 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Originally Posted by ls01
I'd love it if you would use it. I was looking at them since my Roam was giving me problems. I fixed it but now I'm curious.
I'm really close to trying it out. I'm brand loyal, sometimes to a fault. The battery life of the Garmin 520+ is getting worse after a few years of use, and it was replaced under warranty after a year of owning it. Since adding the Varia, it barely makes it 7 hours, and that's without running navigation.
Old 03-25-22, 05:42 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts
That Bryton unit is supposed to have a 35 hour battery life. (Nudge, nudge... lol)
Old 03-25-22, 07:32 PM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by friday1970
I also have the Ryder 420 and like it a ton. Very accurate recording, decent smartphone app that goes with it. Good long life. But then again, this is a 420.
Same here, like my 420 a lot, I'd use the 750.
Old 03-26-22, 01:16 PM
blkwrxwag

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had the 750 and now have a 530. I sold the 750 for a few reasons :

1. Downloading a gpx route was fine, but then you have to do an extra step to get turn by turn directions which can sometimes change the route! Annoying.
2. No ClimbPro.
3. No Strava segments.

Other than that, I really liked it.
Old 03-26-22, 03:24 PM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Originally Posted by blkwrxwag
I had the 750 and now have a 530. I sold the 750 for a few reasons :

1. Downloading a gpx route was fine, but then you have to do an extra step to get turn by turn directions which can sometimes change the route! Annoying.
2. No ClimbPro.
3. No Strava segments.

Other than that, I really liked it.
Thank you for the information. #1 could be an issue, while that is maybe 10% of my usage of a device, it would be fairly important when I did want to create and download a route. I'll admit I don't know what ClimbPro is and I'll have to Google it. Strava segments on the other hand is something I tried with the 520+ and ended up removing all the segments from the list as it became a bit annoying.

Edit: ClimbPro sounds fantastic, and absolutely something I'd use with nearly every ride being 1k/10m in this area. Wish it was available on the 520+ though!

Last edited by str8jakett; 03-26-22 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-26-22, 06:05 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by str8jakett
I'm really close to trying it out. I'm brand loyal, sometimes to a fault. The battery life of the Garmin 520+ is getting worse after a few years of use, and it was replaced under warranty after a year of owning it. Since adding the Varia, it barely makes it 7 hours, and that's without running navigation.
Any battery will deteriorate with use. That isn't a Garmin problem, it's just the way the technology works. Also, using the Varia radar takes more battery, so does using navigation. ☹️

My advice is to think about how important it is to you to have an your data in Garmin Connect. If that's a big deal, a non Garmin computer will probably bother you.
Old 04-25-22, 06:32 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Any battery will deteriorate with use. That isn't a Garmin problem, it's just the way the technology works. Also, using the Varia radar takes more battery, so does using navigation. ☹️

My advice is to think about how important it is to you to have an your data in Garmin Connect. If that's a big deal, a non Garmin computer will probably bother you.
I fought this last part for quite a while before I realized that ultimately, Garmin Connect is not what is important, it's Strava. Everything just funnels through Connect. While a few of my health programs at work sync with Garmin, the Strava option has opened up now.

So with that, and a few more weeks of reading reviews and watching videos, I decided to open it up and give it a try. I'm not going to post a full rundown, Bryton-sent-me-this-for-free-but-my-review-is-unbiased YouTube style impression, but I will say a few things.

First off, I like it. I like having the touchscreen more than I thought I would. Swiping between screens while riding is easy and efficient and Bryton must have improved this over time through updates because I did not experience lag like was reported after the initial release. The screen isn't bright enough, and there is a little glare, but not to the point of being unusable in bright sunlight. I like being able to set up everything through the app, but I've only done screens for one bike profile and I'm still working out what I like here. There are many options, and I especially like the colored graphs. I did not try out the navigation yet but the maps are a little bland (No worse than the Garmin 520+) and the street name layouts look like they could be difficult if you aren't already familiar with where you are riding. All my sensors synced easily and I like the little car icons on the right side of the screen for the radar. Hardware-wise, I tried the computer in three different Garmin mounts and it was solid in all three, but with no click-in-place feedback. I trust that it would stay put though and the lanyard would ensure it if I took the time to use it. I did however swap the Bryton metal mount onto my main bike, which was nearly identical to the K Edge it replaced. The screen size is a big step up for the small Garmins I've always used, and probably won't be able to go back to now. I can't comment to battery life yet because I charged it, then spent hours playing with it before the three hour ride. Overall, I'll probably keep it and save the Garmin as a backup. I even brought it to work today to play with the screens.

​​​​​​
Edited to add a few pictures. I've ordered a screen protector to see if that cuts down on glare without compromising touch.
Old 05-18-22, 04:06 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Just in case anyone has followed this or maybe it'll be useful in future searches, I'm ditching the Bryton 750 for one deal-breaking reason.

First off, I love this cycling computer. I've used it for ten rides, changed the screens a few times to adjust to my needs, and swapped it between several bikes and sensors without issue. The battery life has continued to impress even with running power, heart rate, and radar/taillight and some backup speed/cadence sensors. I've not had much issue with the screen sensitivity or glare. I'm not overly impressed with the map, although it runs fine and is correct geographically, the road name layout is difficult to read and you must zoom in very close to see non-major road names. I never created a route or used the navigation features.

The deal breaker for me, is the live tracking feature has failed every single ride. A feature that probably doesn't matter to most, but is near the top of my list of requirements for the solo riding in rural areas that I do. I've set it up correctly, according to Bryton, and it sends an email to contacts that you choose with a link. For the first few rides, it never sent the emails. Bryton pushed out an app update on 5/6/22 that may or may not have helped that problem. I began sending the manual tracking link as a text by that time, but the emails have started to come through. However the tracking usually fails within the first few minutes of the ride or never shows a location on the map at all. The first few rides showed my start location and 3 to 5 minutes of riding before it would just quit. Yesterday I pulled up the link myself about 25 minutes into the ride, it showed I was still riding but the map overview was a super zoomed out view of the Asian continents, centered on Taiwan. I couldn't scroll and zoom fast enough to my location on the east coast USA before it would refresh back to the default location over Taiwan.

Immersed myself back into reviews and videos. Really wanted the Hammerhead Karoo 2 but battery life and SIM card only tracking killed that. Back to the Garmin universe with the 1030 Plus.