Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Center Pull Brake Straddle Cable?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-22, 07:46 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts

Here is the kind of straddle cable my brakes use. As they are only 3" I would like a longer one. Short of using a knarp is there a way to fabricate one?
Old 06-27-22, 08:21 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
There are a bunch of YouTube videos on how to make your own cables and even fabricate the ends. Doesn't have to be bike specific vid as motorcyclists, aviation, car enthusiasts, etc. use the same methods. Ebay has a bunch listed if you just want to buy one or visit your LBS. straddle cables: Search Result | eBay I like to fabricate things sometimes, but it doesn't make much sense to me to go to all the trouble of making your own unless you have a cable making setup already.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 06-27-22 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-27-22, 08:24 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
Those can be bought at different lengths, porkchop has 105 and 110mm. There may be others available.
Old 06-27-22, 11:31 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 430 Posts
If you change the geometry of the straddle cable angle, you may affect the braking performance. If you haven't seen Sheldon's treatise on cantilevers, look it up. I know it's a different caliper, but I think the theory applies. Sheldon's article on U-brakes also mentions to use the shortest possible straddle cable for best braking, so maybe it does apply.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 06-30-22, 12:06 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Motorcycle shops often have the means to create custom cables for motorcycle throttles and brakes. The cable end piece is cast around the cable, after "blooming" the end of the cable to prevent it from pulling free of the cast end piece.
Likes For JohnDThompson: