Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

50 Years Ago: August 1972 in Bicycling! magazine

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-22, 03:38 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 999 Posts

Articles/columns included are:
Letters
SHOP TALK: Why Bike Shops?
"Andrews' Hub Modification"
QUESTION MAN
"Converting the SunTour Honor Derailleur for Touring"

The following articles from this issue were posted previously:

ROAD TEST: ATALA Professional Record M101 (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...al-record.html)

"Revolutionary New Bike Transmission" (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nsmission.html)
I also posted an article about the Tokheim transmission published in Bicycling, Feb 1974 (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ne-sloane.html)

Articles from this issue to be posted within the next few days are TECHNICAL "Which Length Spokes" and "The R.E.W. Reynolds Frame".

As usual, let me know if you'd like to see something else listed in the ToC and I'll add it in a reply to this post or send you a pdf.
If the latter, just send me a PM that includes your email address.

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 08-06-22, 06:53 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Body Position Screw.... The "B" screw
for all the years in bikes the first time a real definition.
Likes For repechage:
Old 08-06-22, 09:14 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,073 Posts
When I skimmed that Honor derailer article, I was thinking it must have been written before the V-GT came out. But then I read it more carefully and now I see he briefly mentions that it's done this way on "the more expensive Suntour models"! (I assume he means V-GT and V-GT Luxe.)

It's funny to me that someone would think a V-GT was too expensive, and go to all this trouble to make a lowly Honor shift a touring freewheel. How much $ was a V-GT back then? I wanna say about $10? Nowadays I think of even the Luxe (alloy cage) model as one of the cheaper derailers of that era.

Clearly I have lead a charmed life. I thought I was a poor high school student then, but I worked at a bike shop and got employee discount, and my family was doing well enough that I didn't need to hand over my paltry wage from part time wrenching to put food on the table. I never would have stooped to putting an Honor on my beloved '71 Super Course. (Still have it — one owner!)

But as one who's put a large amount of time into overhauling (and slightly modifying) an Allvit, I have no right to question someone hotrodding an Honor.

Let no man disparage the Honor of Chuck Harris!!

Mark B
Old 08-06-22, 09:27 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,690 Times in 2,610 Posts
I thought the Andrews thru-axle mod was pretty darn cool.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 08-06-22, 09:30 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
It's really interesting to see things like this hub and Honor modifications. I thought I was just being eccentric trying to make things work in ways they weren't intended to. Here I was just keeping up an old tradition.
Old 08-06-22, 11:55 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Excellent post. The magazine was almost popular mechanics for a couple articles. Also, I want a bikes don't pollute shirt.
Old 08-07-22, 05:37 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
In August 1972, I had just finished my masters and was heading from Michigan to Ohio to teach in high school. As I was driving i was listening the congressional hearings on Watergate and whether Nixon was guilty or not. In my trunk was the straight stay Hetchins I had gotten on a bicycle trip to England in 1969. That fall I would start a bicycle club for my students. We would go on Sunday bike rides. My parents were on a trip to Italy that August and picked me up a new all Campagnolo Masi for $350.

I would like to see the article on REW Reynolds. I picked up a pair of cycling shoes from him 2 years later. They are still in my closet but I haven't used them in decades. He showed me the lug set he had carved so his builder could make them into a frame. One of my high school students bought a new Reynolds frame. Reynolds didn't build frames on the premises. When I was apprenticing at Ellis Briggs in Shipley West Yorkshire in 1975, I learned his frames were built by Woodrup in nearby Leeds. Ellis Briggs painted them.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 08-07-22, 05:58 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
I enjoy these old magazine posts. Thank you for sharing them.

Old 08-07-22, 07:23 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
It's really interesting to see things like this hub and Honor modifications. I thought I was just being eccentric trying to make things work in ways they weren't intended to. Here I was just keeping up an old tradition.
It would be hard to argue that Chuck Harris wasn't a bit eccentric, at least in terms of recycling materials. The roof rack on his van was said to be made from old rims, where he cut them at the joint and then straightened them in preparation for using them as structural elements of the rack.
Here's a quick shot of his VW van at the Horsey Hundred ride near Lexington, Kentucky in 2003...

He was selling his home-made helmet mirrors, but also brought his bike to do the ride. I had parked my bike next to his once, and grabbed a quick photo. This bike shows his characteristic wide range chainrings (he used to make his own chainrings) as well as the home-made Nivex clone derailleur.

Grant Petersen did an article (written by Sheldon Brown) about Mr. Harris in Rivendell Reader #5. Here's the first page of the article, showing one of Chuck's derailleurs...

And just for the human interest aspect, a quick photo of Chuck adjusting a mirror that he just sold to customer at the bike ride...

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy: