Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Vintage Trek Road Bike Value Model?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-22, 05:17 PM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
Vintage Trek Road Bike Value Model?

Hello. I found a vintage Trek road bike that interests me, but I'm not an expert on old Treks. The previous owner of the bike is deceased so the seller doesn't know everything about the bike. The frame has no model number listed on it anywhere. It must be a pretty good bike though as the frame is Reynolds 531 and components are Campagnolo Nuovo Record. It is supposed to ride well and looks to be in good condition. So I'm curious if anyone has a decent idea of the value, year, and model? Would this be a top of the line sorta road bike for Trek? How much of the bike looks original?

Also they say it is a 48cm with a 29" standover. My current vintage road bikes are 21" Schwinn with 31" standover. 31" is my max to stand flat and saddle is about down all the way on these bikes, so I've assumed smaller would be ok. I just don't know how much smaller. I'm about 5', 5". Curious of any opinions of fit for me with this size. I would have guessed more like a 50-52 for me. But I really just need to be able to ride it comfortably. I have a few bikes so it's just the idea of owning a nice old made in Wisconsin Trek. Bike is pretty decent drive away. Thanks.
Old 08-11-22, 05:27 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Clearly not all the parts are Campy NR. Those are Shimano bar end shifters for example. An original Campy bike would not come with Shimano shifters. Get the serial number and look it up if you want to know model/year. Vintage Trek site has all the serial numbers listed.

Looks like a parts bin build to me. Black brake calipers would not be on a bike with silver components. Brake levers look like Tetras, but I could be wrong. Trek decal does not look original to bike. Could still be a fine bike.

On size, I have zero to negative standover (very short legs, long torso). Yet my saddles are not slammed. Are you extending your legs in the downstroke while pedaling? I see people who have the saddle too low for riding, but just right for touching the ground. Seat height should be based on feet on pedals, not the ground. I can't reach the ground if I am on the saddle. No problem, I lean the bike over to one side. Problem solved.

Decades of riding motorcycles (where I couldn't reach the ground either) taught me to lean the bike to one side, and only putting one foot down.

Last edited by wrk101; 08-11-22 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-11-22, 05:31 PM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Originally Posted by wrk101
Clearly not all the parts are Campy NR. Those are Shimano bar end shifters for example. An original Campy bike would not come with Shimano shifters. Get the serial number and look it up if you want to know model/year. Vintage Trek site has all the serial numbers listed.
Sorry, I should have said derailleurs. The headset is also Shimano 600.
Old 08-11-22, 05:45 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by BikingViking793
Sorry, I should have said derailleurs. The headset is also Shimano 600.
Pretty much proves its a parts bin bike. How do you know it is Reynolds 531? DT decal does not look right to me.

If I saw a bike like that, unless I could verify it were something special via serial number, I would value it at the RD, FD, and crankset alone.

No model number on the frame often means a repaint, which would explain the decals.

Again, I am not knocking a repaint, or a parts bin bike either. You could argue that almost every one of my bikes are parts bin bikes. Now I do not mix Shimano indexed shifters with Campy friction derailleurs. But that is just me.

I'm going to guess that rear derailleur is ten years older (or more) than that frame.

Last edited by wrk101; 08-11-22 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-11-22, 06:58 PM
BikingViking793 

Originally Posted by wrk101
Pretty much proves its a parts bin bike. How do you know it is Reynolds 531? DT decal does not look right to me.

If I saw a bike like that, unless I could verify it were something special via serial number, I would value it at the RD, FD, and crankset alone.

No model number on the frame often means a repaint, which would explain the decals.

Again, I am not knocking a repaint, or a parts bin bike either. You could argue that almost every one of my bikes are parts bin bikes. Now I do not mix Shimano indexed shifters with Campy friction derailleurs. But that is just me.

I'm going to guess that rear derailleur is ten years older (or more) than that frame.
thanks. Think this one isn’t what I’m looking for.
Old 08-11-22, 08:03 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 330 Posts
I agree this bike has had some work done, but early 80s Treks often did not have model number decals, or had them in inconspicuous locations. My '82 620 has no model number - the way I figured out it was a 620 was because it had all the components listed in the catalog with appropriate date codes. My '83 500 only has a small model number on the drive side chain stay.

That said, I would value this bike purely on how it rides with nothing extra for collectability.