Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Dark amber colored urine after hard ride?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 04-01-13, 10:38 AM
mcafiero
Italian Stallion

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Supersix; Dolan Df3; 1980's GIOS Pista;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Before I go any further, I know what you're going to say: go to a doctor! I know.

I experienced this after a hard ride and sent myself to the ER, who suggested a meeting with a regular doc and I went to that and cleared. Further I have an appointment with a urologist in 2 weeks. So yes I am going to see a dr.

But for the time being I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. For mind sake.

I jumped into a training routine kind of suddenly with guys who have been on a routine for several months already. I found myself pushing hard on a 3 hr ride. Came home and that night saw some very dark urine. After reading about rhabdo I checked in with the ER.

Had a complete blood count and urinalysis. Red blood cells were found but all other tests passed and was concluded that there was no uncle rhabdo. Went in for my follow up a few days later and red blood cells were no longer found.

Sat and sun I went on hard rides again. Both about 2.5 hrs with some sprint work. Immediately following my rides I found more amber colored urine. Went again an hour later and it was crystal clear both days.

Only other symptom was a bad muscle cramp on sat that took a minute to walk off. Sunday I rode pretty good but took it a tad easier on the sprinting.

Muscle soreness is very light.

Again, I DO have another dr appointment. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this sort of thing. I have two weeks to see another dr.
Old 04-01-13, 12:09 PM
NealH

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a kidney stone (still in the kidney) but it could be something else too. Lack of hydration can darken the urine but it should not include blood in it. Dieting often leads to hydration and protein breakdown issues when under physical duress so be sure you are eating and drinking healthily. My guess is that if your eating habits are healthy, then its probably a kidney stone.

Anyway I'm not a doctor so take this with the usual grain of salt. Its only speculation.

Last edited by NealH; 04-01-13 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-01-13, 12:12 PM
mcafiero
Italian Stallion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NealH
Sounds like a kidney stone (still in the kidney) but it could be something else too. Lack of hydration can darken the urine but it should not include blood in it. If you are on some fashion diet then get off it. Dieting often leads to hydration and protein breakdown issues. Riding hard requires normal eating habits. My guess is that if your eating habits and healthy, then its a kidney stone.
I eat really healthy. I had a kidney stone about 7 years ago. One thing I can say is this winter I admit to being really bad about drinking enough water. But as of last few months (since my first hard ride) I have been drinking a lot of water.
Old 04-01-13, 12:17 PM
NealH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got three stones now in my kidneys and have passed about 6, and had one blasted. One of the stones in my right kidney will have to be blasted if it gives much trouble. I get the cola color after some hard rides too, and I'm sure this is the problem. My urologist just wants to monitor it for now. If it doesn't move much, they will leave it alone. If it starts a trek, then it will have to be blasted because its too big to enter the ureter.
Old 04-01-13, 12:42 PM
mcafiero
Italian Stallion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do remember the dr saying I had a few stones in there. One passed and now I suspect the others have gotten bigger. Fun times. I'd rather it be a stone than something that will kill me though.

Also a few days before my first ride a few months ago I had a nauseous spell and immediately I though, "oh man this is how I felt before I had that kidney stone". It went away but I definitely made a mental note about it.
Old 04-01-13, 05:37 PM
NealH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exactly. The nauseous feeling is the tell tale precursor to a moving stone. I'd bet $10 to a donut its a stone.

I guess its better for the calcification to happened there than in the arteries .
Old 04-02-13, 12:51 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
DEHYDRATION!!

You say you've been drinking a lot of water ... what does that mean? Define "a lot". Your urine should be almost clear.

And if you do have kidney stones, you really need to drink a lot ... more than usual.

I've had (or perhaps still have) kidney stones, and had to go for surgery to remove one that was too large to pass. While I was waiting for surgery, I discovered that I suffered (badly) from kidney stone pain when I wasn't drinking water regularly. I ended up in hospital on morphine one day when I dashed off for my 150 km drive to university one morning without a single thing to drink ... that was actually when they discovered the kidney stones.
Old 04-02-13, 05:23 AM
jolly_ross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dehydration seems highly likely. Measure how much you're drinking per hour - double it - see what happens.

(I'm betting - more pee stops - clearer urine)
Old 04-03-13, 09:01 PM
Maxpilot

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
DEHYDRATION!!

You say you've been drinking a lot of water ... what does that mean? Define "a lot". Your urine should be almost clear.

And if you do have kidney stones, you really need to drink a lot ... more than usual.

I've had (or perhaps still have) kidney stones, and had to go for surgery to remove one that was too large to pass. While I was waiting for surgery, I discovered that I suffered (badly) from kidney stone pain when I wasn't drinking water regularly. I ended up in hospital on morphine one day when I dashed off for my 150 km drive to university one morning without a single thing to drink ... that was actually when they discovered the kidney stones.
+1
Old 04-04-13, 12:51 PM
mcafiero
Italian Stallion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maxpilot
+1
I would love for it to be dehydration. The first time this happened, NO DOUBT, I was dehydrated. I got back from a very intense 3 hr ride and as when I got back realized I didn't drink any water. So what did I do? I grabbed a latte instead. Then I went home and watched the Superbowl and drank beer. Then I pissed brown and went to the ER. Smart. But there were red blood cells in my urine and I don't know if that's caused by dehydration. I should have asked. It wasn't Rhabdo so I was relieved.

2nd time this happened I rode for 2.5 hrs pretty high intensity with some sprint intervals. Drank moderately. Not sure if I went through a waterbottle. I forget.

3rd time I made a conscious effort to drink a lot. Went through 2 small water bottles and one large waterbottle that was full of a carb/protein mix.

Anyway, just returned from a CT scan and I'll know if I have stones in 3-5 business days. I kind of hope so because if not, they will want to put me through a cysto, which basically means shoving a camera into your ding dong, which sounds awesome.
Old 04-04-13, 03:01 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

You know how they used to say that we should drink 8 glasses of water a day ... yeah, well ... that's not bad advice. You've mentioned what you drink when you ride (not a lot), but how much do you drink during the day?

Try for 8 glasses of water a day ... and then also, in addition to that, when you ride, aim for one 750 ml bottle every 1 to 1.5 hours.
Likes For Machka:
Old 04-04-13, 03:06 PM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have had issues during training with not drinking enough water. Mine presented with throbbing legs and delayed recovery instead of the urine color.
However, it is a very simple fix and worth a try. One of the cheapest fixes out there.
Old 04-04-13, 03:23 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
"Clear and copious" -- shoot for that.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-11-13, 10:00 AM
mcafiero
Italian Stallion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok here's the update. Had a cat scan and a cysto, which is a procedure where a urologist shoves a camera up your ding dong and through your prostate. Anyone who hasn't done this before, you are missing out on some good times. The cat scan didn't reveal anything too alarming. Just a small lesion in my right kidney that is most likely nothing but will require follow-up scans every 6 months. No kidney stones. The cysto revealed a totally healthy bladder. So no tumors or cancer. So basically I attribute it to over-exertion on my rides. Now I have 24 hours of painful ruination to endure and I'm in the clear. Fun fun.
Old 04-11-13, 08:48 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by mcafiero
So basically I attribute it to over-exertion on my rides.
You mean ... serious dehydration on your rides.

Before your next ride (this weekend?) ...
-- on the day before, make sure you drink at least 8 cups (2 litres) of water, fruit juice, or whatever you prefer (not alcohol). You should be urinating almost clear and fairly decent amounts all day.
-- on the morning of the ride, while you're getting ready to go ... drink a tall glass of water. Just plain ordinary water. You can also have a cup of coffee or glass of orange juice or bottle of Ensure or whatever you normally drink before a ride, but have that tall glass of water too.

Then when you get on the bicycle, right away start drinking one 750 ml bottle every 1 to 1.5 hours ... more frequently if it is hot, windy, or you're exerting yourself a lot. Don't forget to eat something with a bit of salt mid-ride.
Old 07-27-22, 06:21 PM
Qxir_NotJustBik

Bikes: 2011 Giant Rapid 2, Giant TCR, 2010 Fuji Cross Pro and a few others.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree with DataJunkie. I trained poorly for my first gravel ride and also think I may have been dehydrated going into it. Didn't help that it was hot as
heck! Could barely walk the next day and then I noticed the dark urine, which is not the beer I'm used to. Been drinking more water and the legs are feeling better
each day. Lesson learned: don't forget to hydrate and wear sunscreen, even when it's overcast.

PS Good deal you got the all clear from the tests.
Old 07-27-22, 06:45 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by Qxir_NotJustBik
I agree with DataJunkie. I trained poorly for my first gravel ride and also think I may have been dehydrated going into it. Didn't help that it was hot as
heck! Could barely walk the next day and then I noticed the dark urine, which is not the beer I'm used to. Been drinking more water and the legs are feeling better
each day. Lesson learned: don't forget to hydrate and wear sunscreen, even when it's overcast.

PS Good deal you got the all clear from the tests.
Just a quick Heads-up...
Check the date of the post before yours, 2013... you brought it back from the dead.. LOL!
We all do it... I sometimes forget to check the dates, when a thread suddenly appears with lots of posts...
no worries...
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 07-28-22, 02:18 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,596 Times in 5,943 Posts
Dark amber is disturbing, but Cola colored is downright scary! Fortunately, when I had that, it was after a kidney stone episode, so I knew what it was and not to panic. Weird as all hell, though!

Originally Posted by mcafiero
Now I have 24 hours of painful ruination to endure and I'm in the clear. Fun fun.
This is one of the better typos I've seen in a while.

EDIT: Oh, good grief! I helped bring a zombie back to life.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-28-22, 02:58 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I've come in from rides with bright red pee! Fix gear and guilty of not drinking enough and a week's worth of veggies with two bunches of beets instead of one. If I went to the ER, I'd scare the heck out of the department and in turn, they'd do the same to me. So I just shut up and drink until the scale says I'm back to normal. (With some potato chips and sport drink so I don't dilute electrolytes.)
Old 08-16-22, 03:56 AM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 84 Posts
Your kidney was busy processing hemoglobin from your damaged muscles.
Old 08-16-22, 08:41 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
^Yeah, it's called rhabdomyolysis and it's not good.
Old 08-28-22, 08:49 AM
Buddy94

Bikes: 2023 Trek Checkpoint ALR 5 , Firemans 4 BMX Cruiser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry OP. On the topic of stones….,had two in one week years ago and thought something exploded. Like a baseball bat to the back, no nausea. Took me to my knees, fetal position. The morphine couldn’t get injected fast enough. Yes, was massively dehydrated but not due to riding. Mr “Jack Black” the night before. Took me many years before I could even smell the stuff.

I hydrate like crazy on rides but still get cloud’ier urine. It’s hot here in Texas so hard to avoid the heat in the summer. I typically wear a 60 oz Camelbak and take 2 24 oz bottles on rides more than 2hrs. All that weight on my back sucks but no choice as I ride solo. Can’t just run into a store to refill.