Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Giant GSR Team

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Giant GSR Team

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-23, 12:59 PM
LucasHartong

Bikes: '83 Viner Special Professional, '91 Pinarello Asolo 'spumoni', '93 Trek 930, '94 Giant Cadex CFR3, '97 Giant Atlanta MTB, '99 B1 Weblite Cross , '16 Cube Peloton Race.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 97 Posts
Giant GSR Team

Working on a Giant GSR Team. It's got a basic Shimano Tourney SIS 'top-swing' group, but I like it.
Does anyone have more info on this specific bike, as there is little around on the net? Years built? Thanks!

Old 06-01-23, 01:39 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
What exactly are you looking to know? It is a Wallymart quality bike from a larger brand in this case Giant. It is in really rough shape and I would put much time and especially money towards it, it is nothing rare or valuable or from any team. If you are worried about year it is probably from late 90s early 2000s but I would just pass on it you can buy a new wallymart bike with the nearly the same set up and it will be at least brand new.
Old 06-02-23, 01:26 AM
LucasHartong

Bikes: '83 Viner Special Professional, '91 Pinarello Asolo 'spumoni', '93 Trek 930, '94 Giant Cadex CFR3, '97 Giant Atlanta MTB, '99 B1 Weblite Cross , '16 Cube Peloton Race.

Well, that's a way of looking at it. I like to restore vintage bikes! I'll post the pics when the MTB is ready. Today I'm going to refurbish the shocks. Nothing out of the ordinary, but I prefer re-using vintage above buying new. In the meantime I found out that the bike is from 2002 (date codes Shimano parts), so 21 years old and still running, while having been used quite heavily by the former owner... Makes me smile.
Old 06-02-23, 10:42 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by LucasHartong
Well, that's a way of looking at it. I like to restore vintage bikes! I'll post the pics when the MTB is ready. Today I'm going to refurbish the shocks. Nothing out of the ordinary, but I prefer re-using vintage above buying new. In the meantime I found out that the bike is from 2002 (date codes Shimano parts), so 21 years old and still running, while having been used quite heavily by the former owner... Makes me smile.
There is something to vintage bikes of quality, this is truly a wallymart bike from Giant, it could say Huffy or Magna or something and it would make more sense. You do you but I wouldn't spend a lot of time on it and zero money. It could have had some riding by the former owner but it looks like it was just left somewhere to rust at least from the pictures probably not a lot of riding.

There are tons of neat decent vintage bikes some are even actual mountain bikes that would be cool restorations and worth some time on them.
Old 06-02-23, 11:37 AM
LucasHartong

I also ride a Giant Team World Cup 'Atlanta'. Last summer crisscrossed The Netherlands, fully laden with paniers, tent etc. Never missed a beat!

Old 06-03-23, 09:58 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Can’t believe Giant put this one out under their own brand — wow

OP - the second bike You posted, the World Cup thing. That is a nice bike for sure. If I had that in the garage I would not waste my time with that weird low budget full suspension thing
Old 06-05-23, 03:19 AM
LucasHartong

Originally Posted by DMC707
Can’t believe Giant put this one out under their own brand — wow

OP - the second bike You posted, the World Cup thing. That is a nice bike for sure. If I had that in the garage I would not waste my time with that weird low budget full suspension thing
Haha, lol and thanks! I intend to use that 'weird low budget full suspension thing' as a fun project. In the meantime I enjoy my 'World Cup thing' as well.
Old 06-07-23, 08:11 AM
LucasHartong

Took apart and cleaned the rear derailleur. You wouldn't believe what came out... amazing what gets stuck in these things. The left grip/handle for the front derailleur turned out to be broken, so I changed the whole steering combination with a better one and at the same time better setup. Still makes me smile.
Old 06-08-23, 05:46 AM
LucasHartong

Well then. First ride and everything works perfectly. It's not high end, nothing worldcup ready but I really like it. This afternoon I'm going out for a spin along the Dutch coast. Sun, sea, bike. No complaints.

Old 06-10-23, 08:36 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by LucasHartong
Haha, lol and thanks! I intend to use that 'weird low budget full suspension thing' as a fun project. In the meantime I enjoy my 'World Cup thing' as well.

my diction flies out the window when I’m using talk to text! 😂😂

Thanks for the update on your initial ride and sun, sea and bikes sounds delightful! Especially to a guy land locked in Oklahoma. Glad the bike is working great
Likes For DMC707: