Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Some cyclists and arrogance

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-20, 10:07 AM
eaglesandcycling

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts

I'm of course not speaking about ALL by any means but what is it about cyclists (especially roadies) who have this certain arrogance/elitist attitude about them? Guess cuz it can be quite a pricey sport maybe?
Old 05-17-20, 10:40 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
Road Nazis. SMH.
Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 05-17-20, 10:45 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
I don't think the percentage of cyclists who are arrogant/elitist is any different from other sports. I think it's related to the competitive nature of sports.
Old 05-17-20, 10:46 AM
eaglesandcycling

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I don't think the percentage of cyclists who are arrogant/elitist is any different from other sports. I think it's related to the competitive nature of sports.
I see your point but it just seems a bit more in this sport..maybe im totally wrong tho
Likes For eaglesandcycling:
Old 05-17-20, 10:53 AM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
Let’s say I’m on a 67 mile, 6,000’ ride like yesterday. I love riding and it puts me in a great mood. I pass some of these folks going the other way and say How ya doin? I get nothing from some, just serious faces. I feel sorry for them because there does not seem to be any enjoyment there. So pity is my feeling!
Old 05-17-20, 10:54 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Well, here's the other side of the coin. I was living in Portland OR, and had recently become unemployed, but still had a nice Italian Bottecchia Professional that I bought during better days when I had money, or thought I did. It was my 30th birthday, I hadn't gotten any in a long long time, and I had been feeling a little down, so I polished up my bike, put on my best jersey, and went for a ride to cheer myself up.

I rode 10 or 15 miles, felt first endorphins kick in, and started to feel OK. As I approached a bike shop, a woman and her bf were walking toward the front door of the place, and I could hear the woman talking, she said something like," ...but I just don't want to end up looking like a bike snob." As I ride past she turns, points at me, and exclaims, "LIKE THAT GUY!" I was completely deflated.
Old 05-17-20, 10:58 AM
eaglesandcycling

Originally Posted by waters60
Let’s say I’m on a 67 mile, 6,000’ ride like yesterday. I love riding and it puts me in a great mood. I pass some of these folks going the other way and say How ya doin? I get nothing from some, just serious faces. I feel sorry for them because there does not seem to be any enjoyment there. So pity is my feeling!
exactly! had the same thing happen today on my ride. sooooo serious! jeeeez. lighten up. enjoy where you're at!!
Old 05-17-20, 11:00 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Well, here's the other side of the coin. I was living in Portland OR, and had recently become unemployed, but still had a nice Italian Bottecchia Professional that I bought during better days when I had money, or thought I did. It was my 30th birthday, I hadn't gotten any in a long long time, and I had been feeling a little down, so I polished up my bike, put on my best jersey, and went for a ride to cheer myself up.

I rode 10 or 15 miles, felt first endorphins kick in, and started to feel OK. As I approached a bike shop, a woman and her bf were walking toward the front door of the place, and I could hear the woman talking, she said something like," ...but I just don't want to end up looking like a bike snob." As I ride past she turns, points at me, and exclaims, "LIKE THAT GUY!" I was completely deflated.
I hear you. FWIW, I don't get the whole reverse snobbery of some folks who think just because you look the part that you must be some sort of db, or worse, a poseur. For the most part, I find cyclists to be friendly and greet each other with a friendly wave. And, I don't take it personally when someone doesn't wave.
What I would hope someone would say is, I hope to end up looking like THAT guy someday.
Old 05-17-20, 11:06 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
Ya know , I ride the same (pretty much) routes every week and see many of the same cyclists and most of the time get a friendly wave or sometimes a "hello" from people going the opposite direction. There is this one guy , and I wave every week at him, that never waves or even a head nod. He is about my age (mid sixties) and I still wave every week on my Sunday ride and .......nothing. At this point it is my personal challenge, I will continue to wave and maybe someday he will wave back. I don't understand but that's OK he is just one guy who is either VERY serious about his riding(not that fast either) or just not a "people person" . I am and refuse to change, I have met some great folks while out riding or stopping for my water break or to fix a flat. My experience of over 40 years has taught me that cyclists are pretty cool folks. Of course there are always exceptions as with any other sport. Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress, see my bikes and rides!
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 05-17-20, 11:11 AM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Show us on the doll where the mean arrogant cyclist touched you
Old 05-17-20, 11:16 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by carminepraha
I'm of course not speaking about ALL by any means but what is it about cyclists (especially roadies) who have this certain arrogance/elitist attitude about them? Guess cuz it can be quite a pricey sport maybe?
Cyclists are a sub-set of people and so have the same range of personalities as people in general. If we all accept (or so I hope, anyway) that things like skin color, religion, nationality, etc dont particularly change the essential nature of human beings, do you really think that the type of bicycle one rides makes for a valid stereotype?

What happened that bruised your feelings so much and led to this outburst - did someone not wave?

Last edited by guadzilla; 05-17-20 at 11:22 AM.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 05-17-20, 11:19 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
I can't say that I recall ever meeting an arrogant roadie in real life - everyone that I'm met and talked to has been pretty chill. Then again, I don't see a lack of acknowledgement as a sign arrogance: a) there's no obligation in the first place and b) I know that sometimes you're just in a different headspace when you're on a ride. If you're going to assume that someone is a arrogant because they didn't give you a reciprocal wave, I think that type of projection says more about you than it does the non-waver. It's like those cringey guys that tell women to smile.
Old 05-17-20, 11:25 AM
eaglesandcycling

Originally Posted by guadzilla
Cyclists are a sub-set of people and so have the same range of personalities as people in general. If we all accept (or so I hope, anyway) that things like skin color, religion, nationality, etc dont particularly change the essential nature of human beings, do you really think that the type of bicycle one rides makes for a valid stereotype?

What happened that bruised your feelings so much and led to this outburst - did someone not wave?
outburst?? lol. hardly.. nothing happened. every ride i go on, i cross paths with some dude or 2 with this elitist attitude. again, most are not this way
Likes For eaglesandcycling:
Old 05-17-20, 11:30 AM
WhyFi

every ride i go on, i cross paths with some dude or 2 with this elitist attitude.
You've interacted with them? What do they do that's "elitist"?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-17-20, 11:52 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
outburst?? lol. hardly.. nothing happened. every ride i go on, i cross paths with some dude or 2 with this elitist attitude. again, most are not this way
How to they express their elitism ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 05-17-20, 11:58 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,285 Times in 2,942 Posts
Must be an eastern European thing...
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-17-20, 12:02 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I think such attitudes are a sign of a narcissistic personality which is a close cousin of sociopathy. Sociopaths do not see themselves as a part of society. They see themselves as apart and above. The condition is more common than people think. There are plenty of You Tube videos by shrinks about this and it is worth knowing about. A milder form is the cyber bully. Once this is understood, these personality disorders can be dealt with with equanimity. Don't let someone else's mental disorder ruin your day.
Likes For berner:
Old 05-17-20, 12:03 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I am curious as well, as to what the elitist attitude is....
Old 05-17-20, 12:04 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Same old, same old. Their bike cost more, they must be an ass. I've learned that what we in the US call "reverse snobbery" is called "inverse snobbery" in the UK. Still pondering which term is most descriptive.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-17-20, 12:10 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
a) there's no obligation in the first place and
Snob.

You can't beat a friendly wave from a fellow cyclist.
Old 05-17-20, 12:13 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Some maybe, but reading these threads and general comments it strikes me there is a lot of projections going on. It's usual same old "I stopped at a light all full of wonderful feelings, and this guy on his fancy bike didn't say hi back!" or "that one cyclist didn't wave back!" Clearly he/she is elitist blah, blah, blah. Maybe they just didn't see your wave, or by the time it registered you already passed, or maybe they are just not very social and it's stressful for them to engage in small talk, etc.
Likes For UmneyDurak:
Old 05-17-20, 12:15 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Snob.
I'm not a snob - I'm just an ahole.
Old 05-17-20, 01:15 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
maybe they are a lot better than you.

Just kidding.
Old 05-17-20, 01:28 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I'm not a snob - I'm just an ahole.
Not possible in the land of Minnesota Nice
Old 05-17-20, 01:34 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Not possible in the land of Minnesota Nice
Incorrect.

It's more "Minnesota 'Nice'," than "Minnesota Nice." It's a passive-aggressive thing. You're forgiven though, as many Minnesotans don't understand it, even though they've got the act down pat.
Likes For WhyFi:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.