Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Aluminium Frame Cracks?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Aluminium Frame Cracks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-21, 05:54 PM
hihi2u2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Aluminium Frame Cracks?

I think I just bought a frame that is full of cracks (only discovered after I started to strip the bike down to the frame for polishing)? Was going to buy it as a restoration project and learn the ropes of bike maintenance.

Are these cracks, if so I'm guessing I should stop and not waste my time.

Old 08-22-21, 06:34 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Stop wasting your time.
That bike was loved just a little too much.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 08-22-21, 07:23 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,859 Times in 2,307 Posts
I don't know how many of the possible cracks really are but I hope you didn't pay much for this frame. The one that I would be concerned about is the fork's. The snaking shape of the possible crack is not the usual shape of how stress radiates along a tube. But a fork failure that happens quickly is a really bad experience The rest have a lot less safety concerns, IMO. The frame needs a serious and well done paint stripping to truly assess the bad spots. There are dye penetrants that might be used to find out in the bad spots are real cracks. Andy
Old 08-22-21, 07:57 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,757 Posts
Didn't a shop already tell you the frame is cracked? https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ern-parts.html
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-22-21, 08:00 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
Fork one is certainly scary. The others on the frame are very odd, looks more like corrosion to me.
Old 08-23-21, 02:05 AM
hihi2u2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Shops

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Didn't a shop already tell you the frame is cracked? https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ern-parts.html
Yea it was a quick look when I took it in for the seized crank and CLA on the mech. Just hoped to get a second opinion, for the fork I've bought a replacement Bianchi full carbon one. Really like the bike, dam frame. Just have to wait for the PayPal dispute to lapse.
Old 08-23-21, 04:37 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I don't know how many of the possible cracks really are but I hope you didn't pay much for this frame. The one that I would be concerned about is the fork's. The snaking shape of the possible crack is not the usual shape of how stress radiates along a tube. But a fork failure that happens quickly is a really bad experience The rest have a lot less safety concerns, IMO. The frame needs a serious and well done paint stripping to truly assess the bad spots. There are dye penetrants that might be used to find out in the bad spots are real cracks. Andy
This. You gotta determine whether they are cracks or paint damage. It needs stripping and testing. Strip those areas first. So you don't put any extra time in it.
Plenty of these frames about. So is it worth it?

Last edited by blamester; 08-23-21 at 04:59 AM.
Old 08-23-21, 08:12 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Hope your time investment is worth as little as this frame. In my view only the apparent crack in the seat stay above
the brake bridge is likely to be a true crack but considering the paint may be a paint crack only. The bottom bracket
stuff is likely grunge in the welding crevices and bad paint. Only full strip will tell which if done by hand is a PITA to
do in my experience and not inexpensive if supplies are bought retail. You have already dealt with the fork.

Wonder what those two "bubbles" seen on the inside of the bottom bracket shell are?
Old 08-24-21, 01:20 AM
hihi2u2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blamester
This. You gotta determine whether they are cracks or paint damage. It needs stripping and testing. Strip those areas first. So you don't put any extra time in it.
Yea that's the question is it worth it, when you start to strip the paint it's gonna be a repaint if the frame is ok. Paid way too much for the bike, cost me £250 and probably not worth spending more on it. Need PayPal dispute to pull through .... ...
Old 08-24-21, 01:53 AM
hihi2u2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blamester
Yea that's the question is it worth it, when you start to strip the paint it's gonna be a repaint if the frame is ok. Paid way too much for the bike, cost me £250 and probably not worth spending more on it. Need PayPal dispute to pull through .... ...
Old 08-24-21, 11:20 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by hihi2u2
There are so many problems with that frame that you don’t need to strip paint. Welds should not have cracks in the paint that follow the contours of the weld. The fact that the paint cracks follow the weld contours says that the welds are bad…all of them on the frame! The weld is flexing under the paint which shouldn’t happen.

The brake bridge has almost crumbled to dust and is more aluminum oxide than “aluminum”. The red arrows point to pits in the metal which shouldn’t exist. This frame has probably been exposed to lots of salt, either road salt or being stored in an ocean environment.

As others have said, stop wasting your time. The bike is about one ride away from collapsing into a pile of white powder.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-24-21, 10:45 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
You are showing good judgement.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 08-25-21, 08:08 AM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
If you're junking the frame make sure you recycle the aluminum as it can be 100% melted down and re-used.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 08-25-21, 12:07 PM
hihi2u2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
If you're junking the frame make sure you recycle the aluminum as it can be 100% melted down and re-used.
Thanks for the reminder, will do that after the Paypal dispute has lapsed. Expensive lesson learnt :-)
Old 09-04-21, 02:04 PM
hihi2u2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Well, the PayPal dispute has lapsed and I've managed to get a partial refund back. Out of interest, I've cleaned the frame to see what it looks like under the paint. Just for those who might be interested :- D

Old 09-04-21, 08:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,992 Times in 2,664 Posts
Useful tip to anyone if you are not confident in the frame, don't ride it. Unless you have someone knowledgable in frame building or repair looking over it and giving you assurances it is safe and would put it into writing, I wouldn't bother. You already have doubt in your mind that is already a good sign to not continue. If you really loved the frame put it up as a wall hanger or find a way to recycle it or if steel, see if a competent frame builder can restore it if worth it.
Likes For veganbikes: