Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

happy 7-11 day!!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

happy 7-11 day!!

Old 07-12-21, 02:56 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Also, shameless self-promotion, but you'll like it and I put a lot of work into it a long time ago: History of Team 7-Eleven Bikes.
That's some good stuff right there. Thanks for doing it!

I put this as a comment on the blog, but figured I'd add it to this thread as well, because your blog mentioned an OG 7-11 rider who's been mostly lost to history... Danny Van Haute.

Danny Van Haute was the club coach when I raced Juniors on the Mt. Helix club in San Diego in the late 1980s, as well as one of the coaches for the AAF track program at the Balboa Park velodrome. I will always remember him sitting on the front, pulling a dozen Juniors like a freight train full of pain across the Anza-Borrego desert for like 35 miles into a howling headwind. The outbound leg took us around an hour and a half... and it took us like four hours to get back. I think only three of us finished the ride, and Danny stayed with us all the way. Dude was a monster... and a heckuva guy. Nobody remembers him. Nice to see him getting some love.

--Shannon

ETA: Danny is still around, he now lives in Canada.

Last edited by ShannonM; 07-12-21 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-12-21, 07:06 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I never understood that - I can't believe anyone ever saw a Murray bike in a race and then ran to K-mart to buy one. What did Murray get out of that sponsorship?

Also, shameless self-promotion, but you'll like it and I put a lot of work into it a long time ago: History of Team 7-Eleven Bikes

I also worked for a 7-Eleven one summer between semesters... graveyard shift, quite an experience.
I don't know... I mighta been that bicycle ignorant at one time. That time being before college, in my small town, where everything came from the Sears catalog. BTW, I ran acrossed your site, somehow, when looking at the 7-11 sponsor/Serotta connection. Awesome info, thanks for the share and all the investigation work that went into it.
Old 07-12-21, 09:00 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by uncle uncle
Awesome info, thanks for the share and all the investigation work that went into it.
The 7-Eleven bikes post, the Klein history post, and the Breaking Away tribute post get the most visitors. I get a big kick out people from all over the world finding my blog and contacting me.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 01-08-22, 08:27 PM
mjcambron

Bikes: Too many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Hi Steve, I came across your post and it motivated me to join bikeforums this evening. I'm also from Peoria. I worked at Competition Cycles on Main Street during my Bergan HS years in the mid 1970's. I started racing as an intermediate and first met Michael Fatka at a race in Davenport (or one of the quad cities), in the early days of Skunk River Cyclist. It was because of Michael I decided to attend Iowa State to study engineering, rather than U of I. I worked at Michael's from 1978 - 1981. Michael wanted me to continue racing but my parents were very clear that I was in Ames to get an education, not race bicycles. I have intense respect for Michael. He was very supportive of me on many levels. He helped me secure my first order of 531 tubing when I took up frame building and he was equally supportive when both my parents died (father in '79, mom in '82). Seeing that old Michaels Cyclery sweatshirt really brings back some great memories. Thanks for posting.
Old 01-09-22, 12:04 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,330 Times in 1,564 Posts
Originally Posted by mjcambron
Hi Steve, I came across your post and it motivated me to join bikeforums this evening. I'm also from Peoria. I worked at Competition Cycles on Main Street during my Bergan HS years in the mid 1970's. I started racing as an intermediate and first met Michael Fatka at a race in Davenport (or one of the quad cities), in the early days of Skunk River Cyclist. It was because of Michael I decided to attend Iowa State to study engineering, rather than U of I. I worked at Michael's from 1978 - 1981. Michael wanted me to continue racing but my parents were very clear that I was in Ames to get an education, not race bicycles. I have intense respect for Michael. He was very supportive of me on many levels. He helped me secure my first order of 531 tubing when I took up frame building and he was equally supportive when both my parents died (father in '79, mom in '82). Seeing that old Michaels Cyclery sweatshirt really brings back some great memories. Thanks for posting.
good to hear from you, and glad to hear about your time with Mike Fatka and his shop! I grew up a bit north of the Quad Cities, but didn't really appreciate what was going on in the race world.
I think Mike gave you good advice in regards to ISU being preferable to U of I as far as engineering. His shop was something of a mecca for cyclists, and I wish someone had taken a bunch of photos of it. I just recall the huge photo of Jeff Bradley on the wall when I came into the store. I don't think the shop really let people know just how impressive the SRC racing team was. I didn't figure it out until seeing the Iron Horse Classic race... but I didn't follow the bike racing magazines either.

Raleigh and Micheal's Cyclery have left their marks on me, which is probably why I still have that sweatshirt. In fact, around that time, a friend made a small stained glass item for me that was modeled on the Raleigh logo on the sweatshirt.
This is the sweatshirt:

I've been improving a backlight for the stained glass (which I made about 10 years ago), so it currently looks like this:

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 01-09-22, 05:27 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,299 Times in 3,633 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
good to hear from you, and glad to hear about your time with Mike Fatka and his shop! I grew up a bit north of the Quad Cities, but didn't really appreciate what was going on in the race world.
I think Mike gave you good advice in regards to ISU being preferable to U of I as far as engineering. His shop was something of a mecca for cyclists, and I wish someone had taken a bunch of photos of it. I just recall the huge photo of Jeff Bradley on the wall when I came into the store. I don't think the shop really let people know just how impressive the SRC racing team was. I didn't figure it out until seeing the Iron Horse Classic race... but I didn't follow the bike racing magazines either.

Raleigh and Micheal's Cyclery have left their marks on me, which is probably why I still have that sweatshirt. In fact, around that time, a friend made a small stained glass item for me that was modeled on the Raleigh logo on the sweatshirt.
This is the sweatshirt:

I've been improving a backlight for the stained glass (which I made about 10 years ago), so it currently looks like this:

Steve in Peoria
H**Y CRAP!!!

That is so cool, one of a kind handmade by a friend and inspired by Micheal's.

So much history and such a great legacy as well as a PDX connection too.

Michael Bornstein built frames there after learning from Cecil Behringer and then teaching Jeffery Bock how to build frames.

Bornstein took a sabbatical to go to Strawberry and work with Andy but didn't stay long.

He did however build this while he was here.

Then he took it back with him and it supposedly was Greg Meeker's training bike, then it came back to PDX with the guy I bought it from who raced it some.

And here's a Behringer that I have for good measure.

Check out the RD hanger.
Likes For merziac:
Old 01-09-22, 07:20 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,330 Times in 1,564 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
H**Y CRAP!!!

That is so cool, one of a kind handmade by a friend and inspired by Micheal's.
thanks! It really is nice, and I've been feeling guilty about not doing more to get the bugs out of the backlight and get it up on the wall.

Originally Posted by merziac
So much history and such a great legacy as well as a PDX connection too.

Michael Bornstein built frames there after learning from Cecil Behringer and then teaching Jeffery Bock how to build frames.

Bornstein took a sabbatical to go to Strawberry and work with Andy but didn't stay long.

He did however build this while he was here.

Then he took it back with him and it supposedly was Greg Meeker's training bike, then it came back to PDX with the guy I bought it from who raced it some.

And here's a Behringer that I have for good measure.

Check out the RD hanger.
The connection to Cecil Behringer is pretty cool! He's definitely old school.
The Jeff Bock connection is fun too. He is a pretty low profile builder, but has an amazing history in Iowa.
How long did Bornstein build frames? Judging by the paint scheme on your bike, I'm guessing late 80's or so?

One nice thing about the vintage bike hobby is how it is a relatively small community, and thereby how many unseen details link so many of us together!

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 01-09-22, 07:59 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,299 Times in 3,633 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
thanks! It really is nice, and I've been feeling guilty about not doing more to get the bugs out of the backlight and get it up on the wall.

The connection to Cecil Behringer is pretty cool! He's definitely old school.
The Jeff Bock connection is fun too. He is a pretty low profile builder, but has an amazing history in Iowa.
How long did Bornstein build frames? Judging by the paint scheme on your bike, I'm guessing late 80's or so?

One nice thing about the vintage bike hobby is how it is a relatively small community, and thereby how many unseen details link so many of us together!

Steve in Peoria
Yep, so right about the intertwined history's, ins and outs, plenty of stories and tales as well as not so well known asides and less favorable events and situations.

So not sure how long Bornstein built, long enough to get Bock started and I think he was only here for a year or two at the most. We could reach out to Bock, I'm sure he would know.

The purple "accents" and splash tape were added by the guy I got it from, found that out when I asked "who did that?" in a disparaging tone.

Bock is good friends with Andy and gets some supplies from him, he was here at the last Oregon Handmade bike show and the last Velo-Cult show which actually was the last de facto handmade show.

He had his fantastic Blue rando and a couple of others at the Oregon show, they had moved the venue and it was somewhat poorly attended so the very last one was scrapped until Velo-Cult stepped up before they threw in the towel as well, it was more of a gathering than anything else.

Not many bikes but I brought the Bornstein and a small later Strawberry frame that I got that has a fork with separating blades.

Andy was pretty excited with the Bornstein, had me take off the front wheel so he could show it to a couple other builders that were there. It was after that Dave Levy was able to help me to get Andy to build me a Strawberry but later bowed out and I got Dave to build it as they are very good friends.

Last edited by merziac; 01-09-22 at 08:03 PM.
Likes For merziac: