Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Rockhopper and larger rear rotor

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-21, 02:31 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts

With the Rockhopper Elite from Specialized it follows the conventional "think" of having a small 160mm rear rotor. I want to put on a 203mm rotor or at a minimum a rear 180mm rotor with the MT200 disc brakes. Has anyone done this with their bike?

Specialized does not bother to answer customer phone calls or emails and the dealers I have contacted have not been able to provide any information so posting this in hope of getting a straight answer.
Old 09-10-21, 09:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
It probably isn't that Specialized doesn't answer calls is it that they are extremely busy these days. Everyone wants a bike and parts and to know when their bike will arrive so like most shops they are probably seeing record call numbers and cannot just set up huge call centers just to answer these types of questions.

If you are having braking issues first things first figure out what you are running at the front and if that is not sufficient try the larger rotor there and get the proper adapter for said rotor. Or maybe consider upgrading your brakes either with better pads, better rotors and maybe find stiffer hoses or just outright get new brakes like 4 piston stuff. If you are still finding things to be extra weak you probably could get away with a 180 rotor at the rear but probably not a 203mm. However keep in mind the front brake will have most of your stopping power. I find with my more ample derrière my XT 4 pistons and 160mm rotors do pretty well on my hard tail. I mean I could go larger and may do that one day but so far 160 and 4 pistons do me pretty well.

I haven't put a larger rotor on a Rockhopper as nobody yet has asked but unless listed on their website I cannot imagine with the proper adaptors a 180 wouldn't work unless you have a smaller bike
Old 09-10-21, 10:03 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
It's obviously native 160 and would need a great big adapter to 203. Adapter will probably fit in the space, it goes forward. It's about the price of a chicken dinner with a cocktail to try it. Other things to try are pad material change or caliper change.

Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-11-21, 12:55 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I suspect that if most riders check out the rotors on their bikes that the 160mm rear rotor shows a lot more wear and overheating damage than the 180mm one in the front. On a long steep downgrade I will feather the rear brake and not rely on the front one which I need for steering.

After I got a note from Mike's Bikes, a long time Specialized dealer with 12 stores in northern California, stating that they had sold their company to one based in Holland, Specialized was dropping them as a dealer, cancelling all the orders for their customers, and would not be honoring the warranties on the thousands of Specialized bikes they had sold to customers. So customer care is not a priority or even a part of the business model for Specialized. I have bought a Scott 965 to replace the Specialized Rockhopper. Still with the 160mm rear disc so will need to see how much clearance is available with the Scott 29 frame.
Old 09-11-21, 07:26 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
After I got a note from Mike's Bikes, a long time Specialized dealer with 12 stores in northern California, stating that they had sold their company to one based in Holland, Specialized was dropping them as a dealer, cancelling all the orders for their customers, and would not be honoring the warranties on the thousands of Specialized bikes they had sold to customers. So customer care is not a priority or even a part of the business model for Specialized. I have bought a Scott 965 to replace the Specialized Rockhopper. Still with the 160mm rear disc so will need to see how much clearance is available with the Scott 29 frame.
That is really interesting that Specialized will drop honoring warranties since a lbs is sold? Their web site warranty page essentially write out that any Specialized shop in NA will handle warranty claims.

But if you think that is bad, you may want to check out Scott's warranties: https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/support/warranty

5 yr frame warranty, ONLY if you take the lbs for annual adjustments at cost of consumer. If you don't, it's a 3 yr frame warranty.

You maintain your own bike and there is a problem, or as the last paragraphs states in the above link, poor/incorrect maintance, warranty is void.

Problem with the bike, you as the consumer have to pay for the inspection, Scott will not cover this fee, if the lbs' charge.

Yea, if you bought the Scott bike mainly for warranty reasons, not sure you are better off.

I have looked at my son's Scott Scale 970 and my Aspect rear brakes. Not sure if these bikes can be upgraded to 180mm, would be interested to see otherwise though.
Old 09-11-21, 08:30 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
The rear brake is less than 10% of your braking strength. Why would you waste money and effort trying to make something fit that wont help any.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 09-11-21, 09:55 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
He said why. He wants to ride the brake and he's worried about it overheating.

Why he cast himself as an iconoclast for this, I dunno.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 09-12-21, 08:27 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
The rear brake is less than 10% of your braking strength. Why would you waste money and effort trying to make something fit that wont help any.
^This^ Get a good 160mm rotor and pads. Don't ride the rear brake. Use your front brake properly. The larger rotor isn't going to be any better, it'll just lock up easier and it'll still get cooked.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-13-21, 08:32 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 770 Posts
I suspect that if most riders check out the rotors on their bikes that the 160mm rear rotor shows a lot more wear and overheating damage than the 180mm one in the front. On a long steep downgrade I will feather the rear brake and not rely on the front one which I need for steering.

Yeah. I call BS. You don't have to bring it to "Mikes Bikes" for the warranty to be honored. Any Specialized shop will cover warranty work.
Old 09-13-21, 08:36 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
^This^ Get a good 160mm rotor and pads. Don't ride the rear brake. Use your front brake properly. The larger rotor isn't going to be any better, it'll just lock up easier and it'll still get cooked.
Larger rotors also warp more easily.
Old 09-30-21, 12:20 PM
Brian Marshall

Bikes: 2014 Trek X Caliber 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I would consider upgrading the front to a larger size if possible and not more than a 180 on the back. If that is not enough, you probably need to consider upgrading to 4 piston brakes. I am 6'1'' and weigh 210 and ride Shimano 2 piston brakes with 180 in the front and 160 in the rear with no problem. Also, check out Mountain Bike braking the right way | New 2 Mt Biking. Best of luck
Old 10-01-21, 11:46 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
With the Rockhopper Elite from Specialized it follows the conventional "think" of having a small 160mm rear rotor. I want to put on a 203mm rotor or at a minimum a rear 180mm rotor with the MT200 disc brakes. Has anyone done this with their bike?

Specialized does not bother to answer customer phone calls or emails and the dealers I have contacted have not been able to provide any information so posting this in hope of getting a straight answer.
IF the rotor and repositioned caliper fit, I would not see a problem in doing it.
Old 10-02-21, 03:59 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
IF the rotor and repositioned caliper fit, I would not see a problem in doing it.
So no problem in making the brake more powerful even though it has plenty of power to lock the wheel now? Just make it harder to modulate?
Old 10-02-21, 04:25 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
So no problem in making the brake more powerful even though it has plenty of power to lock the wheel now? Just make it harder to modulate?
Tons of people run rotors larger than 160 on the rear. And plenty of MTBs come stock that way. Common as dirt. Some folks want the extra leverage for easier braking and the larger rotor for better heat management.

Assuming one or both of those is what the OP is after… nope, no problem.