Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is the most underrated bicycle accessory?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What is the most underrated bicycle accessory?

Old 10-04-16, 12:32 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Underwear that's fun to wear.

Old 10-04-16, 03:23 AM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
You're joking right, John? Even with a heavy investment of time and materials, there is no way to produce a mudguard with complete coverage like SKS Longboards for $50. The engineering would take hours, scrounding for materials, days. Developing a fastener for the metal stays...why even think it?
Fabrication is one of the most noble pursuits of man.
Old 10-04-16, 04:08 AM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Not underrated IMO, I wear two, but certainly controversial, not unlike helmets.
Why the mirror controversy?
Old 10-04-16, 09:20 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I'm not sure a list of standard commuter equipment is "underrated" except by those who spurn it as nerdy... and that would make it a different topic.

I think Cat Ears are intriguing and when I'm back in the saddle I'm going to try some.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-04-16, 09:41 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 153 Posts
A pro-fit.
I felt like an utter tool walking out of Nate Loyal's fitting studio, $180 poorer with only a little business card with my measurements scribbled to show for it. The end result of nearly 3 hours?: my cleats were shifted a few mm and my saddle up and back a little. And he gave me some advice about how to sit on the saddle and work on my core & back muscles.

But then my chronic knee pain magically vanished. I cancelled the appointment with the knee-surgeon (which could easily have cost 20 or 30 times what the pro-fit cost), and was able to ride longer and faster than before--even faster than when I was in my twenties when I was dumb enough to instead spend that money on sew-ups and the latest Oakley sunglasses.
Old 10-04-16, 11:55 AM
Pops1959

Bikes: Specialized Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
A kickstand.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 10-04-16, 11:57 AM
ckarr
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think this soap from Grant Petersen's bicycle website is worth it: Pine Tar Soap Grandpa's brand

It is definitely underrated.

Last edited by ckarr; 10-04-16 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-04-16, 12:07 PM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
A kickstand.
I agree. I went back and forth about having one. The extra weight, stability, not being cool (kidding), blah, blah, blah but in the end it's just too useful IMO especially for my situation. I installed a BV adjustable double kickstand and am loving it.

I'd also agree with a mirror and I'd add Bike Brite as my suggestion to the mix. Hose off your bike, let it sit a few minutes, then hose it back off. I've been using it on motorcycles for years with very good success.

Last edited by MrWasabi; 10-04-16 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-04-16, 02:36 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I didn't care if a kickstand was "cool" or not, I wanted one for my bike. I got tired of always trying to find something to lean it up against, and was irritated to notice some scuffed paint from when my bike was leaning against something and fell. I searched Amazon and found a few which might have worked OK, but ended up going to a LBS and getting a high quality one which is quite sturdy and is a lot more solidly mounted than the ones I found online. It's mounted on the left seat stay & chain stay, so it's far enough back that I can stand the bike up and run the chain backwards when cleaning & lubing it.
Old 10-04-16, 02:50 PM
Pauley L
Banned.

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I didn't care if a kickstand was "cool" or not, I wanted one for my bike. I got tired of always trying to find something to lean it up against, and was irritated to notice some scuffed paint from when my bike was leaning against something and fell. I searched Amazon and found a few which might have worked OK, but ended up going to a LBS and getting a high quality one which is quite sturdy and is a lot more solidly mounted than the ones I found online. It's mounted on the left seat stay & chain stay, so it's far enough back that I can stand the bike up and run the chain backwards when cleaning & lubing it.
When there isn't something to lean my bikes against I can always find this common thing known as "the ground." Scuffs have never bothered me.

In my world, the most underrated accessory would be an adjustable/dropper seatpost. Game changer when I first used one 11 years ago.
Old 10-04-16, 09:34 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts

Which one did you get? Have a link?
Old 10-05-16, 12:54 AM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
My mirror. Im a really jumpy person so its definitely a huge help for me. I have to know whats around me at all times.
Im kinda interested in trying the full coverage Cat Ears this winter though...But Im back n forth on those. I kinda love my $2 fleece headband/ear warmers and I have doubts the Cat Ears will fit as good.
Old 10-05-16, 02:15 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Pauley L
When there isn't something to lean my bikes against I can always find this common thing known as "the ground."
Often there are people walking by and they don't appreciate your bike blocking their walking path.
Old 10-05-16, 02:46 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Baseball cards in the spokes of my Colnago.
Old 10-05-16, 06:11 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
In the winter the most useful bike accessory is a place to carry weather shell and layers.
Old 10-05-16, 02:03 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by one4smoke

Which one did you get? Have a link?
I'll have to take a picture of it and post it later. I don't even remember the name of it.

*edit* I found a link to it online, it's a Greenfield stabilizer.

I like that it clamps on to both the chain stay and the seat stay, and it flips back and stays out of your way. You won't hit it with your pedal or foot like kickstands mounted close to the BB. It's not height-adjustable but it's just the right height for my bike.

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 10-05-16 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 10-05-16, 02:10 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Body Glide.
Old 10-05-16, 02:31 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Mine is the frame pump. Never use it except when I have a flat on the road, then I want to get up to 100 psi is a reasonable amount of time.
Old 10-06-16, 02:31 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I'll have to take a picture of it and post it later. I don't even remember the name of it.

*edit* I found a link to it online, it's a Greenfield stabilizer.

I like that it clamps on to both the chain stay and the seat stay, and it flips back and stays out of your way. You won't hit it with your pedal or foot like kickstands mounted close to the BB. It's not height-adjustable but it's just the right height for my bike.
My new-to-me 1992 Univega came fitted with one of those, or a very similar kickstand that clamps around both the chainstay and seatstay. First kickstand I've had that I wasn't tempted to remove immediately. And as you described, there's plenty of clearance for the pedals to spin backward -- handy for quick chain cleaning with one of those solvent filled reservoir brush doodads.
Old 10-06-16, 07:16 AM
MuddyBikeRider

Bikes: Haibike FS RS

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Hopey steering damper.
Old 10-06-16, 11:05 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by canklecat
My new-to-me 1992 Univega came fitted with one of those, or a very similar kickstand that clamps around both the chainstay and seatstay. First kickstand I've had that I wasn't tempted to remove immediately. And as you described, there's plenty of clearance for the pedals to spin backward -- handy for quick chain cleaning with one of those solvent filled reservoir brush doodads.
Yeah, I think it's a quality product. I may have overpaid for it a bit, but the shipping probably would have made up for it and I got to support my local bike shop, even if it was a minor purchase. The ones I found on Amazon didn't look very promising, only clamping to the chain stay and the reviews said that if you overtighten the set screws it will strip the threads on the aluminum housing. The one I bought came with a couple of thick, split plastic tubes to put around the seat stay and chain stay so the part which clamps to them doesn't scratch the paint. And being a non-adustable height kickstand it seems like it would be a bit more sturdy than those which are adjustable.

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 10-06-16 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-06-16, 03:46 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Blinkies during the daytime.

Everyone knows lights are important at night, but those little guys can save your butt during the day...
Old 10-09-16, 11:38 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
the rider

You're the engine, not an accessory
Old 10-09-16, 11:39 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Originally Posted by rmfnla
Blinkies during the daytime.

Everyone knows lights are important at night, but those little guys can save your butt during the day...

There's nobody out there at night though.
Old 10-09-16, 11:44 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

I agree completely, so I got a cruiser. I have one of those twin/forked stands on my heavy Rollfast. I've still got plenty of scrapes on any of my three, they just happen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.