Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Speedplay slash and burn by Wahoo

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Speedplay slash and burn by Wahoo

Old 11-11-20, 12:31 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
And it does suck when an unpopular product you like goes away; it happens to me too. However, the likely scenario is the sale wiped out the corporate inertia keeping the unpopular lines alive, and they'd be gone before long anyway.
Old 11-11-20, 12:35 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
And it does suck when an unpopular product you like goes away; it happens to me too.
RIP Windows Phone - goon too soon.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-11-20, 12:44 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Being acquired and having some lines cut is not "dying off." With their X-series, in particular, I think that it was past time that it was culled - I think that they kept it around too long to appease customers of legacy pedals. Wahoo has no such qualms or emotional attachment.

Oh, and I see Speedplay pedals every day.

Do you see as many riders with Speedplay pedals as with, say, Shimano? Look?

Not arguing, just curious. But I wonder if there is kind of a cohort effect -- people just tend to buy what their friends are using, and that's why no one in my old group ride had 'em.
Old 11-11-20, 12:49 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
It only took Microsoft a quarter century to admit they sucked at and could not sell phones. They tried and tried to sell buggy products that didn't work and were buggy and sucked.

By the time they finally had something good, the Lumias, it was far too little and about a decade too late.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 11-11-20, 01:11 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote

Not arguing, just curious. But I wonder if there is kind of a cohort effect -- people just tend to buy what their friends are using, and that's why no one in my old group ride had 'em.
I see them more often than I see eg. Canyon or Felt brand bikes.
Old 11-11-20, 01:36 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Koyote

I wasn't contending that they're as popular as Look-type pedals. I was contending the notion that they're dying.
Old 11-11-20, 01:38 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Was thinking about tagging you and calling that one out specifically. Will pour one out (that is, a water bottle) for it after tomorrow's ride.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 11-11-20, 02:48 PM
Hapsmo911

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Speedplay cutting dead weight it seems. Yeah you had your pedals for years and now you cant get cleats. But reality is, they don't sell tons of these models. I would rather them cut and refocus so we get better products. I rode X pedals for years. Then after the walkable cleats came I swapped and just ran them with full float. No problems, and my cleats last 10x longer. Would love to see some power pedals...
Likes For Hapsmo911:
Old 11-11-20, 08:47 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
So you're the other person that loved Windows Phone! My Lumias were my favorite phones ever - if only they had apps.
Old 11-11-20, 09:05 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Weirdly, I just put my old Frogs on my MTB - and opened up my last pair of cleats - and now I see them on sale for crazy prices on Ebay. Wonder if i should just flip them instead.....
Old 11-11-20, 09:28 PM
Bluechip

Bikes: Salsa Fargo Ti, Cannondale CAAD9, Carbonello Fixed Gear, Specialized Epic Disc

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Some years ago I bought a bike that had Speedplay pedals on it.
Now I have them on all of my road bikes.

If Wahoo has to cull some of the less popular pedals to keep the Zeros going I am fine with that. Why have three very similar models?
Old 11-12-20, 03:02 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluechip
Some years ago I bought a bike that had Speedplay pedals on it.
Now I have them on all of my road bikes.

If Wahoo has to cull some of the less popular pedals to keep the Zeros going I am fine with that. Why have three very similar models?
I'm a fan too.

Speedplay are absolutely the best pedal for my knee issues. Bike fit + Speedplay worked for me and so I have Zero's on both road bikes. Never serviced, over 10000 miles so far, no problems.
Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 11-12-20, 06:27 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

I think the disappointment is not so much discontinuing some pedals (though abandoning all of their mtb/gravel models is a bit odd), but rather feeling that they should at least continue to supply the more consumable cleats for a while.
Old 11-12-20, 06:57 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I think the disappointment is not so much discontinuing some pedals (though abandoning all of their mtb/gravel models is a bit odd), but rather feeling that they should at least continue to supply the more consumable cleats for a while.
If you consider the Zero to be the X-Series replacement, and many felt that long before Wahoo made it official, you've had, what - 17, 18 years? I mean, really, this is something that Speedplay should have done long ago.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-12-20, 07:07 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

If you consider the Zero to be the X-Series replacement, and many felt that long before Wahoo made it official, you've had, what - 17, 18 years? I mean, really, this is something that Speedplay should have done long ago.
Agree, they should have started that process years ago. The fact though is that X series pedals were sold as current and new product even less than 1 year ago. So when cleats were gone from shelves (though there have been some infrequent restockings) just a few months later, it struck a sour note. In my case, I actually bought a X-series Rebuild Kit in 2019 to refresh my pedals, so I'm happy I found a couple rare packs of cleats just recently to extend their lifespan.
Old 11-12-20, 07:26 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
This.

I switched to Speedplay probably 10 years ago and went with the Zeros. The X-series seemed outdated by then, and it was hard to tell the difference.

And it's not like this is the first time a company has dropped a pedal line. Look replaced the Delta line with Keo. Granted, you can still get Delta cleats, but they are lot simpler and cheaper to manufacture than Speedplay cleats.

As for popularity, I'd guess that Speedplay has 40% of the road pedal market. Shimano and Look split the other 60%. in fact, based on what I see on other bikes, I'd guess Look and Speedplay via for first/second place for popularity with Shimano a distant third.

Regarding the Wahoo purchase, I'm optimistic that it will result in a Speedplay-based power pedal. Brim Brothers was close to building one - they were even taking orders and cash before declaring bankruptcy and closing.
Old 11-12-20, 07:36 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3252 Post(s)
Liked 2,078 Times in 977 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
It's the result in the very short term. As I said, deep breath. There will be a transition process.
But ITT there are a bunch of Titans of industry who clearly know more than the leadership team at Wahoo
Old 11-12-20, 08:12 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
While discontinuing the pedals may make sense, I'm surprised they don't at least do a restock mfr run on the cleats to keep existing customers happy for the next 3-5 years. I mean how many could they sell? And if it's a lot, then all the more reason to keep selling cleats.
Old 11-12-20, 08:25 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by topflightpro
This.

I switched to Speedplay probably 10 years ago and went with the Zeros. The X-series seemed outdated by then, and it was hard to tell the difference.
This.. The X-series I think is very hard to tell the difference unless you were a rider looking for reduced or no float, hence many folks saw little to no reason to switch to the slightly more expensive Zeros and in turn have to replace cleats on their sometimes multiple pairs of shoes. My suspicion is that the Zero redesign was in part so Speedplay could claim updated patent protection (and we've already seen discussion on how important that was to them). I haven't discovered yet a downside to the 'outdated' nature of the X series -- aesthetically or operationally I'm trying to imagine how I would be more pleased with a set of Zeros. The walkable cleat is nice, but I don't have issue really with a pair of Keep On Kovers installed on my X cleats.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 11-14-20, 02:56 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
^this.

Many companies will do a last run of parts like this (cleats) and put them in inventory to supply customers until the expected lifetime of the main product (in this case, the pedal) is done and sales are zero. They generally have a pretty good idea of how that's going to play out.

What is a little odd about this is the language - "This product is currently not available. At this time, future availability has not been determined." I'm guessing here, but I think they may be trying to sell the product lines and that would be a good thing. If they were not going to do that, they'd just put a "Product Obsolete" heading on the part.

So I think this is likely the result of one or more of a few things -
  1. Wahoo being inexperienced in M&A.
  2. Crappy planning in the M&A activity leading to a discontinuity in customer support.
  3. Wahoo couldn't give a $hit about pedal revenue except as it relates to power meters they are developing and they needed a pedal user base.

Last edited by JohnJ80; 11-14-20 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-15-20, 06:41 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
We sell a lot of Speedplay pedals. Had Frogs sitting on the shelf for 2 years before they were sold to someone specifically looking for Frogs, not a new user. The X pedal had to go away as it made no sense in the line up as things have moved on from that design. Kudos to Wahoo for cleaning up the line and streamlining selection. Makes sense to me as a dealer.

Never heard about the bearing story. Must be the use of the Speedplay name in advertising that they went after. Silly for sure, but the corp lawyers have to justify their price, and the executive branch likely had nothing else to determine during a Monday morning pow-wow.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 11-15-20, 06:51 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

This is another one folks may remember.. eg. the prior mentioned after-market spindle business -- which is understandable when SP brand spindle sets are $130 by themselves.

Toronto Cycles: SpeedPlay Inc. vs. Toronto Cycles Productions Inc.
Old 11-15-20, 12:47 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
This.

And it's not like this is the first time a company has dropped a pedal line. Look replaced the Delta line with Keo. Granted, you can still get Delta cleats, but they are lot simpler and cheaper to manufacture than Speedplay cleats.

As for popularity, I'd guess that Speedplay has 40% of the road pedal market. Shimano and Look split the other 60%. in fact, based on what I see on other bikes, I'd guess Look and Speedplay via for first/second place for popularity with Shimano a distant third.

Regarding the Wahoo purchase, I'm optimistic that it will result in a Speedplay-based power pedal. Brim Brothers was close to building one - they were even taking orders and cash before declaring bankruptcy and closing.

Likes For woodcraft:
Old 11-15-20, 01:12 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
I certainly can see why the X and Frog were discontinued and I agree that made some sense. Sort of traditional product management would dictate obsoleting the product, continuing to supply cleats for a number of years and then obsoleting. That’s not what is happening here.

And I think the Zeros (and derivatives like Pave), Light Action and Syzr are all in a different category. Those are the current product line and were all selling. The Syzr product line (mtb pedal) was terrifically suited to be marketed to the gravel industry because of it’s metal on metal contact and it’s lack of dependency on the condition of the sole of the shoe.

Hopefully, Wahoo is going to sell some of these off to someone who will actually produce them (hence the odd disclaimer on the website). But what I fear is going to happen is that Wahoo is going to make a power meter and not support the bare pedal business much at all. Everything they sell is based in electronics at some level.

What I want them to do (and I realize that they don’t really care what I want) is to continue to produce the Zero/LA road pedals, the Syzr product line and continue to provide cleats for at least a 5 years for the rest of their product line.
Old 11-15-20, 01:40 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Continuing to produce a EOL product for five years is an utter non-starter for almost any situation. That gets away from the goal of making it EOL in the first place.

I do suspect they'll continue to supply dumb pedals - you don't need PM pedals on your KICKR Bike, afterall.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.