Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Centurion Le Mans 12 Bike – What should be my maximum bid?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Centurion Le Mans 12 Bike – What should be my maximum bid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-21, 12:56 AM
Eyes Roll

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 49 Posts
Centurion Le Mans 12 Bike – What amount ($50, $75, $100?) should be my maximum bid?

Hello Bike Experts/Brothers/Folks:

I found this bike online at Goodwill. It is available for local pickup.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/126425648

Please take a look at the above listing and let me know what amount ($50, $75, $100?) should be my maximum bid for this Centurion Le Mans 12 bike. Please take a look at the pictures and let me know if I need to take it to a bike shop for a tune-up and spend additional money ($$$), before I start using it.

Should I buy the bike or not? Should I wait for a better deal, i.e., a bike that is ready to use right away without a need to take it to a bike shop for a tune-up? I would greatly appreciate any advice in this regard. Thank you in advance for your insight and advice.

P.S. I admit I am new to this forum and only made a few posts, and I am seeking your help. Nevertheless, thanks again.

Last edited by Eyes Roll; 07-23-21 at 01:20 AM. Reason: typo & addition of pictures
Old 07-23-21, 05:00 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
Similar bike to the Nishiki you posted. Tires and chain look newer and brake cables were replaced at some point. This one may be more ride ready but you really don’t know until you try it. Up to $150 on the gamble it’s ready to ride. $75 if you want to leave room to replace wear items.
Likes For plonz:
Old 07-23-21, 07:14 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
This looks like a 1983, as shown here. What plonz said above about price - does it fit you? Is it your size? One of the nice things about this bike is it looks like a prime candidate to learn to do your own maintenance on, should you wish to. Any decent bike repair manual c.1971-90 would give you all the info you need to adjust everything, and just a few special tools, really. If you have access to a bike coop or kitchen, or know someone who's into bikes who would be willing to help you do the work, you could dial it in and get many years out of this bike.

FWIW, I just bought perhaps the gnarliest, rustiest, most scratched-up, beat-up, mismatched parts 1988 Centurion LeMans in the Southeast to build up and ride in the Clunker Challenge. I rode my 100 kms ... and kept going. It's not a high-zoot bike with social pretension claims, but people who really know bikes will understand the Centurions had great quality and maximum bang for the buck. Mine is a battered middle-of-the-line bike built to hit a price point, but it rides so well I find I enjoy it just as much as my most expensive custom bikes.

EDIT: I just went and looked at the Nishiki you are also considering. This, to me, is a superior machine.
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 07-23-21, 01:01 PM
Eyes Roll

Originally Posted by plonz
Similar bike to the Nishiki you posted. Tires and chain look newer and brake cables were replaced at some point. This one may be more ride ready but you really don’t know until you try it. Up to $150 on the gamble it’s ready to ride. $75 if you want to leave room to replace wear items.

Originally Posted by rustystrings61
This looks like a 1983, as shown here. What plonz said above about price - does it fit you? Is it your size? One of the nice things about this bike is it looks like a prime candidate to learn to do your own maintenance on, should you wish to. Any decent bike repair manual c.1971-90 would give you all the info you need to adjust everything, and just a few special tools, really. If you have access to a bike coop or kitchen, or know someone who's into bikes who would be willing to help you do the work, you could dial it in and get many years out of this bike.

FWIW, I just bought perhaps the gnarliest, rustiest, most scratched-up, beat-up, mismatched parts 1988 Centurion LeMans in the Southeast to build up and ride in the Clunker Challenge. I rode my 100 kms ... and kept going. It's not a high-zoot bike with social pretension claims, but people who really know bikes will understand the Centurions had great quality and maximum bang for the buck. Mine is a battered middle-of-the-line bike built to hit a price point, but it rides so well I find I enjoy it just as much as my most expensive custom bikes.

EDIT: I just went and looked at the Nishiki you are also considering. This, to me, is a superior machine.
Thank you for your replies and insights. Even before I started threads here, based on my research from the prior posts on this forum and on the internet, I thought Centurion Le Mans is a better bike than Nishiki Sport.

Goodwill lists the bike frame size as 40, which I think is incorrect. You know how the Goodwills are run and you can't expect them to provide precise information. I tried to pull up Centurion's frame size chart on the internet, but I was unsuccessful. Do you think the frame size fits someone who is 5' 9"/5' 10"?
Old 07-23-21, 01:06 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

I think this one is a 21-in frame, which will be on the small side for you. I'm 5'9" and usually ride 23-in, or 58-60 cm frames, depending on angles and design. Then again, I like the old French fit/ride the biggest bike you can in an effort to get the handlebars high enough for comfort.
Old 07-23-21, 01:13 PM
Eyes Roll

I think this one is a 21-in frame, which will be on the small side for you. I'm 5'9" and usually ride 23-in, or 58-60 cm frames, depending on angles and design. Then again, I like the old French fit/ride the biggest bike you can in an effort to get the handlebars high enough for comfort.
You can say I am about your height. Would you pass up this deal, solely based on the fact that this bike is short/small for a man of your height? From the frame size, is this bike meant for boys/teenagers?
Old 07-23-21, 01:27 PM
rustystrings61 

I would say it's for someone more like 5'6" or so, depending on leg length, etc. This MODEL would be great, but you'll probably want a 23-in or so.

You might want to take a roll through this subforum and get a better sense of what will fit you. Have you measured your PBH (pubic bone height) yet? Overall height is a rough, rough indicator, as some people have relatively shorter or longer torsos or limbs. I once sold a bike to a friend with short legs, long torso and arms, which meant a 21-in frame with a looooong stem extension and lots of saddle setback.

Fortunately, there are a LOT of bikes out there in the size range you'll probably want.

My soapbox - there are really only two things that matter when selecting a bike. Does it Work, and Does it Fit? Number of gears, how they shift (unless you're riding a fixed or single-speed), even frame material - bah. Does it WORK? And right up there is, does it FIT, as in, fit YOUR body first, then fit how you want to ride your bike. I know I could walk into a fancy bike shop and have somebody with a fit kit set me up - and it would likely be a disaster, because I'm almost 60 with assorted old injuries and ailments, and the fit position of a 25-year-old, or even an exercise junkie 45-year-old, won't work for me.

Good luck!
Old 07-23-21, 01:31 PM
Eyes Roll

I would say it's for someone more like 5'6" or so, depending on leg length, etc. This MODEL would be great, but you'll probably want a 23-in or so.

You might want to take a roll through this subforum and get a better sense of what will fit you. Have you measured your PBH (pubic bone height) yet? Overall height is a rough, rough indicator, as some people have relatively shorter or longer torsos or limbs. I once sold a bike to a friend with short legs, long torso and arms, which meant a 21-in frame with a looooong stem extension and lots of saddle setback.

Fortunately, there are a LOT of bikes out there in the size range you'll probably want.

My soapbox - there are really only two things that matter when selecting a bike. Does it Work, and Does it Fit? Number of gears, how they shift (unless you're riding a fixed or single-speed), even frame material - bah. Does it WORK? And right up there is, does it FIT, as in, fit YOUR body first, then fit how you want to ride your bike. I know I could walk into a fancy bike shop and have somebody with a fit kit set me up - and it would likely be a disaster, because I'm almost 60 with assorted old injuries and ailments, and the fit position of a 25-year-old, or even an exercise junkie 45-year-old, won't work for me.

Good luck!
Thank you!
Old 07-23-21, 02:11 PM
Eyes Roll

I'm really leaning towards this Centurion, but the frame size puts me in a limbo. The sad thing with online bidding is that you are buying at your own risk before going for a test ride.

By the way, in most makes and models of bikes, 55cm frame would be a good fit or perfect fit for a 5'9", a person as tall as yourself. You definitely like to ride bigger bikes, as per your own admission.

P.S. wanted to add that to the discussion.

Last edited by Eyes Roll; 07-23-21 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-23-21, 04:20 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
The bike is too small if you are in the 5' 10" range.
Old 07-23-21, 04:27 PM
Eyes Roll

Originally Posted by TugaDude
The bike is too small if you are in the 5' 10" range.
Would it be a good fit for a 5'8" or 5'8-1/2" tall person? What do you think?

I will pass up, personally, but may bid for it for someone else, if it is a good size for 5' 8".

P.S. I am new to biking, but it is amazing how you guys come up with the exact frame sizes of the bike and whether the bike will fit a person of certain height, just by looking at the pictures of the bike. I am in awe.

Last edited by Eyes Roll; 07-23-21 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-23-21, 05:39 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by Eyes Roll
Would it be a good fit for a 5'8" or 5'8-1/2" tall person? What do you think?
Determining size from a photo not optimal but I lean toward it being around 21” or maybe 54cm. 5’8” might fit depending on inseam and with the stem and pillar extended like the pic. Probably a better fit for someone 5’6” to 5’7”.
Old 07-23-21, 06:07 PM
Eyes Roll

Originally Posted by plonz
Determining size from a photo not optimal but I lean toward it being around 21” or maybe 54cm. 5’8” might fit depending on inseam and with the stem and pillar extended like the pic. Probably a better fit for someone 5’6” to 5’7”.
Inseam is 30", for the 5'8" tall person, if you are talking about inseam for the pants he wear daily.
Old 08-01-21, 12:11 PM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Eyes Roll
Thank you for your replies and insights. Even before I started threads here, based on my research from the prior posts on this forum and on the internet, I thought Centurion Le Mans is a better bike than Nishiki Sport.

Goodwill lists the bike frame size as 40, which I think is incorrect. You know how the Goodwills are run and you can't expect them to provide precise information. I tried to pull up Centurion's frame size chart on the internet, but I was unsuccessful. Do you think the frame size fits someone who is 5' 9"/5' 10"?
I didn't read anyone mention it, but something also to think about is that Cernturian isn't a bicycle company. An Importer with models to fit into niche markets. The reason they look and perform like other bikes is on purpose to sell them new as a second tier quality import.
That said, there are several for sale locally and it doesn't look like anyone wants them. They have been for sale for quite a while and the price has gone down on a few to standard Asian road bike values. I'd say $125-175 for one in fine shape.
Old 08-01-21, 12:33 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,255 Times in 1,311 Posts
You're a bit taller than I am and I'd say this is too small. Pass. I know when you're looking hard for a bike it can be tempting to buy something in your price range that doesn't fit, but you'll regret it in the long term.

What area of the country are you in? Maybe we could check Craigslist / Facebook Marketplace for you.

Last edited by Clang; 08-01-21 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-02-21, 04:01 PM
rustystrings61 

Originally Posted by macstuff
I didn't read anyone mention it, but something also to think about is that Cernturian isn't a bicycle company. An Importer with models to fit into niche markets. The reason they look and perform like other bikes is on purpose to sell them new as a second tier quality import.
That said, there are several for sale locally and it doesn't look like anyone wants them. They have been for sale for quite a while and the price has gone down on a few to standard Asian road bike values. I'd say $125-175 for one in fine shape.
Centurion (and Diamond Back) was a brand imported by Western States Industries until they sold out in the early 90s. To dismiss them as an "importer" in a time when practically the entire industry is subcontracted out to Chinese firms gives me cognitive dissonance. What Centurion had going for it was a good designer Junya "Cozy" Yamakoshi, really thoughtful parts spec, and subcontractors who built some very nice bikes. The Centurions with a cult following are the Dave Scott Ironman models, but the cognoscenti know several of their other models were exceptional values based on nicely-constructed frames.

My personal experience - this year I bought possibly the rattiest '88 Centurion LeMans on the planet for $35 as an entry for the Clunker Challenge. As I refurbished it I came to understand - Tange no. 2 tubing with Tange Mangaloy 2001 tubing makes for a surprisingly nice ride. Mine is a keeper, and rides better than more than one of my Reynolds 531-tubed bikes.
Old 08-02-21, 04:29 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
I would also note the OEM tires are flat and likely flat spotted from sitting nearly 40years so figure on a set off tires tubes and all new consumables and full service.
Old 08-03-21, 11:44 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
That thing is long gone. Went for $70.

There's another nice large Centurion Le Mans on Goodwill in Arizona. Somebody should hit that.
edit: link
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/127113628

Last edited by FBOATSB; 08-03-21 at 12:00 PM.