Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Brakes for vintage 1970s Peugeot bike - only MAFAC brakes fit frame?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-21, 04:30 AM
littlebyname

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys

I have recently bought a bike frame off a friend of mine that he tells me is a 1970s Peugeot frame. I have come up with a problem that is the brake calipers that I have bought for it do not fit. For the front wheel, the hole for the bolt that would connect the caliper to the frame is too small to allow the nut to sit inside the frame and the bolt itself is too short to allow a nut to secure the caliper on the outside of the frame. For the back wheel, the hole in the frame where the caliper attaches is angled vertically not horizontally and so the calipers I bought sit at an angle that would not allow them to actually act as a brake. Save for drilling or filing the front hole larger (which I do not really want to do), I have gathered that the best option is to buy some old MAFAC brakes that were originally sold with these types of bikes. I am wondering if anyone else has come up with this issue and what they did to rectify it or whether it was simply to buy the MAFAC brakes. Are there any modern brakes that fit these frames ?

Cheers

Rob
Old 07-26-21, 04:32 AM
littlebyname

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cannot post photos yet as I have less than 10 posts - happy to email or DM photos to anyone who can help!
Old 07-26-21, 05:57 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 783 Posts
You have two slightly different problems, both solvable.

The rear bridge needs a special part to mount a brake; discussed here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...pter-bolt.html.

This part is meant for Racer/Raid brakes and may not work with others; how ever if you get the short attachment bolt with it any Racer or Raid centre-pull will work; you just replace the bolt they have with this gadget.

The front brake is of a later era than your frame; you can use a nut inside the fork to attach it; A special kind of nut called a coupling nut is best, because you can then put a screw in from the rear side once you have the coupling nut tight. It's possible you could find a matching longer bolt, especially if both versions of whatever brake it is were made. Drilling the fork's rear hole is also done by some.

However, a set of Racers/Raids with the special bit are your simplest and possibly likeliest solution.
Old 07-26-21, 06:11 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Good thing you posted in C&V! We understand the time line of components and compatabillties.
Old 07-26-21, 12:37 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
If your fork looks like this - small brake bolt hole in the front, larger brake bolt hole in the rear of the fork.

Then you need a brake with a bolt like this.

There are ways to adapt however.