Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Nashbar Bike Pump Problem

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-21, 06:37 AM
grall1126

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I have this Nashbar pump and I never had this happen before. I place the chuck on the presta valve and when I lock it and start to pump, the air rushes out of it. Useless, as of right now. Just curious about what this could be and the easiest solution is probably to buy a new connection since the hose is fine.

Any recommendations on a valve connection for this?

Thanks
Old 07-04-21, 07:16 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Are you sure the problem is with the chuck? It could be a stuck check valve in the pump itself.
Old 07-04-21, 07:26 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Usually those chucks can be partially disassembled for cleaning. Whenever my Nashbar Earl Grey double-sided chuck misbehaves it's because there's some debris or goop in the chuck because I use latex sealant in the tubes for my errand bike. Or a bit of cat litter, because I have three cats and they drag that stuff around the house -- I've actually found a bit of gritty kitty in the chuck once, possibly because my pesky tabby swats at the hose if I forget to snap the chuck end back into the holder. I unscrew the locking collar and clean out the bits with a cotton swab. Usually does the trick.
Old 07-04-21, 12:24 PM
grall1126

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks guys for the replies, not sure of how to check for stuck check valve in the pump? I did take apart and just not sure of why air comes out real fast when I am pumping the tire.
Old 07-04-21, 12:50 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
It could be a seal around the valve.

I've had pump heads break for one reason or another, usually frame pumps that get an internal crack in them.

Sometimes some grease or margarine/butter will help.

It should be easy enough to replace a pump head. I just replaced one on a mini-compressor because the pin to depress the Schrader valve was broken. And, unfortunately, it was tough finding a pump head I really liked.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-05-21, 08:20 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 233 Posts
Does it leak around the tube stem and will not sit perfectly square to the stem?

It seem to be loose on the stem? Presta?

Does it do this on all tubes or just some?
Old 07-06-21, 11:49 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 661 Posts
first place to look is the rubber chuck that engages the valve.

Most parts like this are not repairable, and repair parts not available.

maybe time to buy a new pump ? The silca pumps are fully rebuildable, will last a lifetime.
Old 07-06-21, 06:00 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 408 Posts
Went through this with a daughter's Nashbar pump and while a fine pump it is very annoying they do not have seal kit spares as many pump manufacturers do, Blackburn, Topeak, SKS, and others. We were able to get a replacement hose with head for her model, you might try taking it to a bike shop to see if they have a new rebuildable head that would adapt to your hose. Good luck.
Old 07-06-21, 07:27 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
Get a $15 smart head with a hose kit. Super easy and universal. I made a video a while back of the process on a 20-year-old pump I had. Works just like new!