Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need help finding new jockey wheels for derailleur

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-21, 06:10 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts

Shimano 600 6207 6spd friction rear derailleur.

having a hard time finding parts that I’m comfortable taking a chance of getting.

10 teeth per wheel I believe.

Who can point me towards reliable correct parts?
Old 07-04-21, 06:38 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,136 Posts
Sci guy,
You are looking for 10 tooth pulleys with a 6mm inner spacing for the fixing bolt. They range in cost from $2 to $50. If you can find old school sealed pulleys they are the ones at $50. You can use the ones I use from Chaser tech that are about $15 per set. Sealed and hard anodized in colors. If you want some used ones, I have them here that are BullsEye models. I can get new bearings for them locally and they would be reasonable in the price of about $35 for a reconditioned set. HTH, MH
Old 07-04-21, 06:49 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Geeezzzz... Chaser Tech is a good supplier and 2 to 50 USD is a good price. But how did we let bicycle parts get so expensive. I am gonna have to replace the pulleys on an old Campy Touring derailuer and I am gritting my teeth on what I am going to have to pay. Thinking about stamping a pair out of brass.

I just can't remember when I became such a Cheap Base Turd...
Old 07-04-21, 07:02 PM
Mad Honk 

zandoval,
The BullsEye vintage sets are at $50 last time I looked. I have been using the CT for my Campy rebuilds as they offer 5mm bolt adaptors for the Campy repairs. The BullsEyes were a 6mm bearing that needed centering for Campy derailleurs. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 07-04-21, 07:37 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Sci guy,
You are looking for 10 tooth pulleys with a 6mm inner spacing for the fixing bolt. They range in cost from $2 to $50. If you can find old school sealed pulleys they are the ones at $50. You can use the ones I use from Chaser tech that are about $15 per set. Sealed and hard anodized in colors. If you want some used ones, I have them here that are BullsEye models. I can get new bearings for them locally and they would be reasonable in the price of about $35 for a reconditioned set. HTH, MH
Checking out the ones from Chaser Tech now. Does Shimano even make them anymore? Only ones I could find was these Shimano Derailleur Pulley Set, 1 Pair, fits 6, 7, 8 sp https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00367370Y...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-04-21, 08:07 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Those Shimano ones are all you need, anything more expensive is just a waste of $.
Old 07-04-21, 08:32 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
Only ones I could find was these Shimano Derailleur Pulley Set, 1 Pair, fits 6, 7, 8 sp https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00367370Y...ing=UTF8&psc=1
In last 3 months I bought these for a 1991 Exage 6 speed and a 1992 Deore XT 7 speed, both indexed. No “Centeron TM” guide pulley but shifting improved over worn-out pulleys. Shouldn’t be an issue with friction shift.
Old 07-04-21, 08:41 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
A couple of years ago I switched most of my older rear derailleurs to Tacx brand sealed bearing delrin pulleys, which cost only about $10-$15 at the time. They run more smoothly even than Shimano Centeron. I'm not sure whether those are still available but I see several on Amazon that appear very similar.

And I have an older set of red anodized Bullseye pulleys, although I replaced those with Tacx because the aluminum Bullseye pulleys were a bit noisy.

The Tacx delrin pulley teeth were a bit thinner than Shimano and Suntour but they shift and run just as well or better. Far better than the original Suntour sintered bearings which were really draggy. I tried running the old sintered bearing pulleys dry as recommended, with oils, grease, wax, etc., but they were still draggy. Switching to inexpensive sealed bearing pulleys saved me several watts -- I'd guesstimate 5-10 watts. It really was noticeable, both with the bike on the workstand and while riding.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-04-21, 08:48 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
It doesn’t impact the OP, but those Shimano jockey wheels will not work on 90’s 8 speed rear derailleurs. The early Shimano 8 speed RD’s used “Narrow” 10t jockey wheels.

John
Old 07-04-21, 09:24 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Just came across these as well: https://velo-orange.com/collections/...heels-10-tooth

Think those would work?
Old 07-04-21, 09:41 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
Just came across these as well: https://velo-orange.com/collections/...heels-10-tooth

Think those would work?
I used them on an old Colnago Super I refurbished. They come with a variety of center pieces to fit various applications. The bike was working beautifully once I got it all back together. The red may not be everyone's cup of tea.

During the rebuilding of the RD. The original pulleys had the most play I've ever seen.

From the top.

All finished up and working beautifully.
Old 07-04-21, 10:00 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
If you search on alibaba, you can often find them cheap.

With the ones shown below you can buy ten for $13.50 plus shipping, that's $1.35 each. With shipping, it might be under $2.50 each, check for yourself. These are 11T. I have a modern reproduction of a derailleur similar to yours, with 10T jockey wheels. With my derailleur, I believe I can run 11T, but no larger. Have a good look at your derailleur, and see if 11T will work.

There are also 10T jockey wheels on alibaba, but they are less common. Search for yourself.

You can also buy new derailleurs.

Where I am I can buy derailleurs real cheap from the local shops. But I have thought about, after I return to Australia, maybe buy 50 jockey wheels. That would be more than you are likely to use in your lifetime. You should be able to get 50 for less than $50. You could then give some away to your cycling friends, or people you meet with very worn jockey wheels, as they cost next to nothing.

Chinese can scam you, but for a purchase of $25, I would not be overly concerned.

Likes For alo:
Old 07-05-21, 01:30 AM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
One thing to think about...

If you're friction shifting, non-floating pulleys, like the anodized aluminum ones, will give better, more positive shifting than the floating SIS Shimano ones. When I was a shop monkey, if I had a customer with a friction-shift bike with a newer Shimano rear derailleur who was having shifting problems, like the bike jumping up a gear under load, I'd switch the upper and lower pulleys, and that almost always fixed the problem. (The lower pulley doesn't float.) A floating upper pulley on a friction shifting drivetrain will not make any noise when it's slightly misaligned, but as soon as you put the beans to it, the chain will go where it wants to be, and you can get ghost shifts.

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 07-05-21, 04:37 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 1,386 Times in 758 Posts
Back in the pre-Internet days when I still messed around with old Porsches (and VW Bugs were still in production and plentiful in bone yards and the JC Whitney catalog), there was a pretty comprehensive list of parts interchangeability between Bugs and 356s. As a grad student, I drove a ratty '55 Speedster well before they ascended into the stratosphere of collectability. That list was handy.

It seems to me we could use something similar, a sticky thread which contains reasonable quality options for many consumable parts, from pedestrian (Shimano 10T pulley wheels) to blingy but moderately priced (Chaser Tech) to blingy and hoard-worthy (Bullseye). That could extend to non-consumable stuff (e.g. workable and/or period correct lever/caliper combinations - recent thread on CR regarding better levers for Universal calipers).

Last edited by smontanaro; 07-05-21 at 04:42 AM.
Likes For smontanaro:
Old 07-05-21, 04:42 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
About 8 years ago I bought some aluminum pulleys and bolt-on wheel skewers from an e-bay seller from Canada. I had to drill out one of the bushings to fit my Suntour derailleur's shafts, which wasn't an easy task.

Seller doesn't exist any longer, but I'm sure there are others. When the seller sent me two rear skewers, he very quickly sent me a front. It's a shame he's gone.
Old 07-05-21, 05:04 PM
smontanaro 

DiegoFrogs There is this seller:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sim...-/391182774274
Old 07-05-21, 05:35 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,455 Times in 3,192 Posts
Unless they're different than Suntour and Campy, search eBay for "ty05."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27470754742...IAAOSwnnlbdr9~
Old 07-05-21, 08:02 PM
Mad Honk 

Originally Posted by zandoval
Geeezzzz... Chaser Tech is a good supplier and 2 to 50 USD is a good price. But how did we let bicycle parts get so expensive. I am gonna have to replace the pulleys on an old Campy Touring derailuer and I am gritting my teeth on what I am going to have to pay. Thinking about stamping a pair out of brass.

I just can't remember when I became such a Cheap Base Turd...
zandoval,
I don't get it. The Chaser tech are $16 per set and work quite nicely. I use them on every Campy rear derailleur that I work on. Sealed bearings, and the right size, with the correct inner bearing spacers, What is not to like. The worst part may be that the spacers are too thick and need a few cuts with a file to get a good fit in the chain cage. Do I need to post a picture to show the way it works. Please don't tell me I need to do it for the current generation who doesn't read well. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 07-05-21, 11:03 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
One thing to think about...

If you're friction shifting, non-floating pulleys, like the anodized aluminum ones, will give better, more positive shifting than the floating SIS Shimano ones. When I was a shop monkey, if I had a customer with a friction-shift bike with a newer Shimano rear derailleur who was having shifting problems, like the bike jumping up a gear under load, I'd switch the upper and lower pulleys, and that almost always fixed the problem. (The lower pulley doesn't float.) A floating upper pulley on a friction shifting drivetrain will not make any noise when it's slightly misaligned, but as soon as you put the beans to it, the chain will go where it wants to be, and you can get ghost shifts.

--Shannon
I've had this experience as well with floating pulleys that work so nicely with index shifting, but not so hot with friction. Ditto, using my preferred SunRace freewheels for friction shifting. The nicely shaped beveled teeth that make index shifting so crisp seems to thwart friction shifting. The chain jingles around and sounds like it's hunting. When I switched to Suntour Alpha freewheels with plainer teeth, friction shifting worked better.
Old 07-06-21, 06:35 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
A couple of years ago I switched most of my older rear derailleurs to Tacx brand sealed bearing delrin pulleys, which cost only about $10-$15 at the time. They run more smoothly even than Shimano Centeron. I'm not sure whether those are still available but I see several on Amazon that appear very similar.

And I have an older set of red anodized Bullseye pulleys, although I replaced those with Tacx because the aluminum Bullseye pulleys were a bit noisy.

The Tacx delrin pulley teeth were a bit thinner than Shimano and Suntour but they shift and run just as well or better. Far better than the original Suntour sintered bearings which were really draggy. I tried running the old sintered bearing pulleys dry as recommended, with oils, grease, wax, etc., but they were still draggy. Switching to inexpensive sealed bearing pulleys saved me several watts -- I'd guesstimate 5-10 watts. It really was noticeable, both with the bike on the workstand and while riding.
+1 on Tacx.
Old 07-07-21, 07:11 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Sci guy,
Just ordered some purple 10t ones from Chaser Tech. I think they'll look good with the powder blue frame color.

Do they ship from the US or will I be waiting 5 weeks from China?
Old 07-07-21, 07:19 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I've had this experience as well with floating pulleys that work so nicely with index shifting, but not so hot with friction. Ditto, using my preferred SunRace freewheels for friction shifting. The nicely shaped beveled teeth that make index shifting so crisp seems to thwart friction shifting. The chain jingles around and sounds like it's hunting. When I switched to Suntour Alpha freewheels with plainer teeth, friction shifting worked better.
I've had good luck with Bullseyes on the 6 speed Accushift stuff I'm riding. I think Accushift wants things to be "precise" without the Centeron slop.

FWIW- I'm also using Bullseyes on a 7 speed setup fine.

Also FWIW- as you mentioned- Bullseyes can be a bit noisier. But I like the "bling."

1985 Trek 620 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

1990 Miyata 1000LT- Rear Derailleur by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 07-07-21, 07:36 PM
Mad Honk 

Just ordered some purple 10t ones from Chaser Tech. I think they'll look good with the powder blue frame color.

Do they ship from the US or will I be waiting 5 weeks from China?
Sciguy,
If you specified the 6mm fixing bolt size they would provide the needed spacers for the bearings. The spacers are sometimes a bit thick for the cage you have so cutting a bit of the spacer down from the inner section of the spacer. Otherwise all should go well. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 07-08-21, 06:46 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Now I just need to figure out how to take that part of the derailleur apart!
Old 07-08-21, 08:30 AM
smontanaro 

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Unless they're different than Suntour and Campy, search eBay for "ty05."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27470754742...IAAOSwnnlbdr9~
Don't SunTour and Campy have different diameter pulley bolts (6mm v 5mm)?

BITD I used Bullseye pulleys on Campy derailleurs. They were always a bit loose.

As a quick check, I compared TY05, Bullseye, Campy and SunTour jockey wheels I pulled from my parts bin. An M6 bolt passed through the Bullseye and SunTour parts, but neither the Shimano nor Campy parts. I think that's why Love City Cycles makes these Simplex/SunTour pulleys. It seems they just replace the inner bushings on TY05 pulleys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.