Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Zwift survey

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Zwift survey

Old 12-30-21, 08:07 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Zwift survey

Zwift is currently conducting a survey (or having a company conduct it for them) via an email link. Supposedly it's to ask questions about equipment used. The email states that the survey should take about 15 minutes.

Okay, being retired, I've got time.

Question 1 - How do you identify (M/F/Other/rather not answer.) I checked, and answered Male.
Question 2 - What is your age? Being honest, I clicked 69.
"Thank you for completing the survey!"

Huh? Evidently, I'm not the only one this has happened to. I guess if you're of a "certain age" (not sure what the cutoff is) your opinion doesn't matter to them. I wonder if my subscription fees matter to them as well?
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 12-30-21, 12:37 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 492 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Zwift is currently conducting a survey (or having a company conduct it for them) via an email link. Supposedly it's to ask questions about equipment used. The email states that the survey should take about 15 minutes.

Okay, being retired, I've got time.

Question 1 - How do you identify (M/F/Other/rather not answer.) I checked, and answered Male.
Question 2 - What is your age? Being honest, I clicked 69.
"Thank you for completing the survey!"

Huh? Evidently, I'm not the only one this has happened to. I guess if you're of a "certain age" (not sure what the cutoff is) your opinion doesn't matter to them. I wonder if my subscription fees matter to them as well?
There is a tendency on all sorts of surveys to disregard information and input from older folks. I called my town about their community survey which said 65 Plus, ignoring transportation, recreation, food and shelter needs of those 75 or 85 In the community, including them in with 65 Plus even though the needs may be quite different. This happens regularly and I refuse to answer surveys that end at 65 Plus

Last edited by gobicycling; 12-30-21 at 12:43 PM.
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 12-30-21, 12:52 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Paul, I guess we are not woke enough to be part of a survey?

I notice when I watch GCN and all the Zwift ads popup, I never see older folks being depicted.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 12-30-21, 04:32 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
Just fib about your age and continue the survey. Problem solved.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 12-30-21, 11:47 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
I guess they don’t want your money. I understand showing younger people in adds. We all want to be younger and the future customers needs to be grown. But cutting off those with more expendable income is short sighted.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 12-31-21, 12:12 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
hmmm, I recall seeing the survey as well and recalling it was very short but can't remember the questions? Has anyone found anything online about it?
Old 12-31-21, 04:05 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 406 Posts
I told them I was a 23 year old female with a trust fund and instantly a bro from customer service called up. go figure. dude's got bad news comin.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 12-31-21, 11:52 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,424 Times in 2,825 Posts
Having written a number of surveys, they are blindly sent to all users but typically are looking for answers from specific groups, whether age groups, ethnicity, political etc. If the respondents are not within the target demographic, they are kindly thanked for their time rather than waste their time on answers which will be thrown out. It’s not personal, its business. But if you rather spend time answering questions which will be ultimately discarded…

Face it, 50+ are a group which will be dying off, whereas 20-30 year olds will be customers for decades.

Who knows, some day they may wake up and realize that seniors are one of the fastest growing segments and keeping them alive and subscribing longer will help fill their coffers.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-01-22, 06:15 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,707 Times in 2,907 Posts
You'll probably have better luck with a Saga survey.
Old 01-02-22, 12:04 PM
Ed Wiser

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
I have seen this several times in surveys.
Funny part is a have the money to buy a smart bike and did.
Many younger people are lucky to pay rent.
Likes For Ed Wiser:
Old 01-02-22, 12:12 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
OK Boomer
Likes For caloso:
Old 01-03-22, 11:55 AM
Ed Wiser

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
OK Boomer
Love this reply ina + 50 forum. Just so funny.
Likes For Ed Wiser:
Old 01-03-22, 02:57 PM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by John E
Just fib about your age and continue the survey. Problem solved.
Once you get booted, you can't get back in. Otherwise I would have and just messed with them.

Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
I told them I was a 23 year old female with a trust fund and instantly a bro from customer service called up. go figure. dude's got bad news comin.
He's calling about your bike and the extended warranty.

Originally Posted by Ed Wiser
I have seen this several times in surveys.
Funny part is a have the money to buy a smart bike and did.
Many younger people are lucky to pay rent.
Exactly, I understand Zwift is coming out with their own brand of direct drive smart trainer. And, I just happen to be looking at upgrading to one. But, it won't be a Zwift!
Old 01-03-22, 09:18 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,170 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Once you get booted, you can't get back in. Otherwise I would have and just messed with them.

He's calling about your bike and the extended warranty.

Exactly, I understand Zwift is coming out with their own brand of direct drive smart trainer. And, I just happen to be looking at upgrading to one. But, it won't be a Zwift!
especially if it is anything like...zwift.
Old 01-04-22, 12:47 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Face it, 50+ are a group which will be dying off, whereas 20-30 year olds will be customers for decades.
Dying off? When is a 50+ expected to expire exactly? 5 years? 10? More? Less?? Yikes, I better start shopping for term life insurance!

Last edited by Leisesturm; 01-04-22 at 10:42 AM.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 01-04-22, 11:20 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 406 Posts
telling my wife that I'm thinking about another bike. no upside in that.
Old 01-04-22, 07:01 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Dying off? When is a 50+ expected to expire exactly? 5 years? 10? More? Less?? Yikes, I better start shopping for term life insurance!
OK you busted me. A 50 year old in good health can easily live another 35+ years. Both my parents are in their 80s. Compare that to a 25 year that can live another 60+ years. If I had a finite budget to spend on targeting a demographic, I would go for those with the longest possible longevity. Of course it can be argued that older people may have more disposable income but the sheer number of potential younger athletes would be a more prudent investment.

Don’t rush out and get your life insurance just yet.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-07-22, 05:43 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 38 Posts
I learned a while back that taking a survey, any survey, puts you on a list for more surveys, more junk in the inbox and further loss of privacy. Unless you're interested in an ongoing dialogue with marketers, I'd politely decline. I know that the horses are out of the barn and privacy is now a quaint concept, but it is still possible to reign in the marketers if even just a bit.
Likes For Champlaincycler:
Old 01-09-22, 03:43 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
Most surveys I see end up with an appeal for monetary donations. They don't give a rodent's posterior about my opinions.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-09-22, 06:53 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 120 Posts
I am I the only person who does not use zwift? I put the bike on the trainer in the basement. It is not riding outside so the miles do not count toward any cycling situation. It it all about working out and what you get accomplished. In my case heart rate has the most important component of the work since I don't have a power meter. I don't need any special set up other than put my cycling shoes on and the Garmin on the bars. It tells my speed, HR, and cadence along with calories which I take with a grain of salt.

The reason to ride inside is to stay somewhat in cycling shape but also the problem of liking beer, donuts, and ice cream. In the middle of January in Illinois what else counts? Zwift sounds ok but I just cannot be bother I keep it simple,.
Old 01-09-22, 09:02 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by deacon mark
I am I the only person who does not use zwift? I put the bike on the trainer in the basement. It is not riding outside so the miles do not count toward any cycling situation. It it all about working out and what you get accomplished. In my case heart rate has the most important component of the work since I don't have a power meter. I don't need any special set up other than put my cycling shoes on and the Garmin on the bars. It tells my speed, HR, and cadence along with calories which I take with a grain of salt.

The reason to ride inside is to stay somewhat in cycling shape but also the problem of liking beer, donuts, and ice cream. In the middle of January in Illinois what else counts? Zwift sounds ok but I just cannot be bother I keep it simple,.
I used to have much the same opinion when I had a basic cell phone and people had these fancy ‘smart’ phones. My phone worked just fine and did what it was supposed to do make calls. Eventually it died and bought a discount smart phone and OMG I could run outdoors listening to music, take pictures, send those pictures track my speed, cadence and heart rate. Just showed I didn’t know what I didn’t know. You may very well know and your trainer is all you need but Zwift opens up a whole new worlds or worlds of involvement and improvement. YMMV

Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-10-22, 07:27 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by deacon mark
I put the bike on the trainer in the basement. It is not riding outside so the miles do not count toward any cycling situation.
That's like saying "I put my car on jack stands, and ran it in gear 50,000 miles without ever changing the oil, because it's not actually moving on the road and the miles don't count."
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 01-10-22, 08:09 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Some of us just prefer to be outdoors. In SoCal, maybe it rains 20 days a year max. I can ride my 29er in the rain no problems.

I tried a liquid trainer and watched training videos for about a year. Could only last 90 minutes max. Just plain boring and I knew I was missing out on the great outdoors.

I never got into gaming or smart phones either. I would rather see and have shared experiences with real people rather than artificial experiences. I have a smart phone but it is a PIA to ride with. I use a compact flip phone for emergencies when I ride.

Same thing with using a treadmill and hiking in the hills. Just not as effective in improving my fitness.

Have fun with Zwift if that is your choice. For me, I cannot beat being outdoors.
Old 01-10-22, 09:45 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Some of us just prefer to be outdoors. In SoCal, maybe it rains 20 days a year max. I can ride my 29er in the rain no problems.

I tried a liquid trainer and watched training videos for about a year. Could only last 90 minutes max. Just plain boring and I knew I was missing out on the great outdoors.

I never got into gaming or smart phones either. I would rather see and have shared experiences with real people rather than artificial experiences. I have a smart phone but it is a PIA to ride with. I use a compact flip phone for emergencies when I ride.

Same thing with using a treadmill and hiking in the hills. Just not as effective in improving my fitness.

Have fun with Zwift if that is your choice. For me, I cannot beat being outdoors.
Well, somehow this thread about older people being excluded from a survey has drifted (surprise!) into an outdoor vs indoor riding debate.

I prefer to ride outdoors as well, however:
COVID has caused many group rides and events to be cancelled.
My wife isn't thrilled about me riding solo out on the roads ever since I was struck by a hit and run driver a few years ago.
My arthritic knee doesn't appreciate me riding in cold temperatures outdoors.

Zwift is a supplement to my riding routine. It makes indoor riding less boring for me. If it's not for you, fine.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 01-10-22, 12:19 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR

I would wager a bet that all of us would prefer to ride outdoors rather than inside. I know I do! You live in an ideal area for cycling, but for many this time of year it’s just not possible, so an alternative is nice. Keep riding an enjoying the outdoors for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.