Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Keeping feet warm during winter rides - booties?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Keeping feet warm during winter rides - booties?

Old 01-18-22, 08:11 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
I have a multi layer system:

In the 40s- just neoprene booties and regular socks
In the 30s-wool socks and neoprene booties + Gore bootie over that
In the 20s and 10s. Super thin sock with a chemical toe warmer plus smartwool sock over the toe warmer with the booties as above.
Wow! Wrangling up to 5 layers of foot gear sounds like quite the chore! You must have the patience of a saint!
Old 01-18-22, 08:12 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3251 Post(s)
Liked 2,075 Times in 975 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Wow! Wrangling up to 5 layers of foot gear sounds like quite the chore! You must have the patience of a saint!
It takes all of five minutes
Old 01-18-22, 08:27 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
You’re absolutely right that each needs to make their own value assessment with regards to winter shoes, but it’s a lot easier to do when one realizes they don’t need to spend $400 on ‘em.

For example, Pros Closet has Mavic Ksyrium Pro Thermo boots right now for $115. Northwave Celsius variants (meaning road and mtb) can usually be found for $230-$250, but Chain Reaction has them now at $173. One can walk into any REI and score 45 North Ragnarok’s for $195 at regular price.
I'm sure you're right. I have Sidi Megas, though, because I need a wide toe box. I probably could find a winter boot that would be more affordable, but it might take some patience and effort. Meanwhile, booties work so far. I rode for 2hr this weekend in ca. 15°F and was fine with my regular shoes, regular socks and booties. If I were a commuter, or if I rode hundreds of miles per week in the winter, it would make more sense to get winter cycling shoes.
Old 01-18-22, 08:40 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
It takes all of five minutes
That sounds fairly quick for all that stuff; I used to use insulated booties and still use light, Pearl Izumi Pro Barrier shoe covers in the spring, just to cut wind and keep wet road grime off my shoes, so I know the limits of both my clumsy fingers and patience, so kudos to you for mastering the art!
Old 01-18-22, 10:14 AM
lyle.coop

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc, Canyon Spectral

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by silverado8405
If you don’t want to duct tape your shoes, wrap your toes in cling wrap, I use the press and seal stuff, and that makes a nice barrier around your toes as well. Disclaimer, I put the bike on the trainer when its below 40, so I don’t know how it works for colder than that but up to that temp it has worked good for me.
I pulled some plastic wrap around my shoes, then covered it with my lightweight toe covers. Went for a 20 mile ride in 25*F weather. Now it might have helped b//c I didn't conduct a science experiment with and without plastic wrap. All I can say is my toes were frozen. Not literally but you know what I mean.

Got the booties yesterday. Will give them a shot in 34*F (23*F real feel).

Likes For lyle.coop:
Old 01-18-22, 10:28 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,937 Times in 1,382 Posts
25° and you need winter boots. Booties may not do it. My favorite wool cycling socks are Wooly Boolies. Some people think that tall wool socks help in cold dry weather. Hot Hands toe warmers are the real deal for rides of 3 hours or less.
Old 01-18-22, 11:37 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
In my area, rides often start high 30s low 40s & warm to 50s or 60s.

Neoprene booties are a bit warm & sweaty for that, & only get out for wet & sloppy conditions.

the fleece-lined ones are pretty good & easy to get on/off.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 01-18-22, 02:01 PM
lyle.coop

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc, Canyon Spectral

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Did 20 miles at 34F, real feel 23F. Booties combined with a pair of smart wool socks were great.
Likes For lyle.coop: