Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

3D print your own spring mandrel

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-22, 05:42 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,390 Times in 759 Posts

This might come in handy on occasion for the C&V bike restorer/mechanic:

https://hackaday.com/2022/01/28/3d-printed-jig-makes-custom-springs-a-snap/

The article also references an older, more involved, Arduino-based project which also looks interesting:

https://hackaday.com/2019/09/28/arduino-wire-bender-probably-wont-kill-all-humans/
Old 01-29-22, 08:23 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Or you can just wrap the wire around a bolt with the appropriate thread size. That allows you to vary the diameter and pitch of the coil, something a dedicated tool like this doesn't permit.
Old 01-29-22, 08:48 AM
fliplap

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
This might come in handy on occasion for the C&V bike restorer/mechanic:

https://hackaday.com/2022/01/28/3d-p...prings-a-snap/

The article also references an older, more involved, Arduino-based project which also looks interesting:

https://hackaday.com/2019/09/28/ardu...ll-all-humans/
Ohhh very nice. I’ve been pondering making something like this for some time. Now I don’t have to.

For the “maker” inclined, 3D printers are fantastic. A fairly reliable one can be purchased for $200 these days. I’ve made light mounts, bag clips, headset press adapters, star nut setters and all sorts of other few-time-use tools. I made this quill stem cutting guide just the other day

Likes For fliplap:
Old 01-29-22, 10:59 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,390 Times in 759 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Or you can just wrap the wire around a bolt with the appropriate thread size. That allows you to vary the diameter and pitch of the coil, something a dedicated tool like this doesn't permit.
I suspect it's only a matter of time before someone develops a parameterized model (or model generator?) which allows you to vary length, width, and pitch of the mandrel, perhaps even allowing variable pitch within the mandrel.
Old 01-29-22, 12:38 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,793 Times in 2,280 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
I suspect it's only a matter of time before someone develops a parameterized model (or model generator?) which allows you to vary length, width, and pitch of the mandrel, perhaps even allowing variable pitch within the mandrel.
35 years ago in college I did something similar - a parameterized geneva mechanism. It's common in my industry to do that during the developent stage when several iterations are expected. It's more (CAD) work up front.