Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

chain question, probably dumb

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-22, 11:51 AM
jdogg111

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 31 Posts

ok. here goes. don't be too tough on me. currently have a 1 x front setup. 7 speed rear cassette. if i were to just take this wheel off and put a 9 speed wheel i have sitting around, do i have to also change the chain, i'm running a friction shifter for this bike, any help is appreciated.
Old 05-09-22, 12:06 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
Yes, the 7 speed chain is too wide to work with a 9 speed cassette. You'll want a 9 speed chain.
Old 05-09-22, 12:10 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
1. The biggest factor is the size of the largest cog on your cassettes - if they're both the same, chances are very good the chain will be fine.
2. The second biggest factor is the width of the chain - 7 speed chains are wider than 9-speed teeth... but you might have a 9-speed chain already.
3. Far down the list... the chain and current cassette might be worn in to each other, and won't like changes.
4. And of course, your old chain may just be worn out anyway and you need to change it.
Likes For DiabloScott: