Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

cassette

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-22, 11:34 AM
Thomas1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cassette

I'm planning on buying second-hand wheels for my old MTB over the internet. I got some pics from the seller, among other things, of the cassette, and there's one thing that seems a little odd about it. So far I've had a freewheel and don't know much about cassettes. Could someone let me know:
1. if the part I marked red, i.e. a piece of metal In between the sprockets, is normal,
2. what the condition of the cassette is just by the attached pics, and
3. if it's possibile to run an 8-speed cassette on a bike with a 7-speed freewheel without additionally buying another shifter/ deraileur/other pieces of equipment. If so, what might be possibile adjustments?

Old 05-24-22, 11:48 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
1. Can't be sure, but that looks like a ramp to help shifting - not seeing it on any other cogs though.
2. Looks "not worn out".
3. Probably not - depending on rear frame spacing, shifters, indexing, and wrap capacity.
Old 05-24-22, 12:12 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3502 Post(s)
Liked 2,922 Times in 1,774 Posts
I think you're seeing the same kind of ramp you can see more clearly on the largest cog in the third picture, at about 2:00 o'clock.
Old 05-24-22, 12:15 PM
Thomas1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
(...)
3. Probably not - depending on rear frame spacing, shifters, indexing, and wrap capacity.
Sorry, I forgot to add that I don't need to use all the 8 speeds. 7 speeds is enough to me, i.e. not using either the largest or the smallest sprocket.
Old 05-24-22, 12:40 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
That is a shifting ramp on a cog, normal. The cassette is obviously used and dirty, but the teeth look to be in good shape. If you are talking about a true freewheel hub, the freewheel screws onto threads on the hub. You cannot mount a cassette on it. The cassette and cassette hub have splines that match up to fit, then a locking ring to hold them all together, no threads.
Old 05-24-22, 12:58 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas1
Sorry, I forgot to add that I don't need to use all the 8 speeds. 7 speeds is enough to me, i.e. not using either the largest or the smallest sprocket.
OK, but nearly all hubs that can take an 8 speed cassette are too wide for bikes that were made for 7 speed freewheels.
So you would have a hub that wouldn't fit in your bike.
And if you have 7-speed indexed shifters they will not work on an 8-speed cassette.

I advise you measure your dropouts - probably 126mm, and then find wheels with 126mm hubs.
If you do have 130mm dropouts, and friction shifters, then those wheels and that cassette would probably be fine.
You could also overhaul your existing hubs and build them up with new rims and spokes for something pretty nice.
Old 05-24-22, 01:10 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas1
I'm planning on buying second-hand wheels for my old MTB over the internet. I got some pics from the seller, among other things, of the cassette, and there's one thing that seems a little odd about it. So far I've had a freewheel and don't know much about cassettes. Could someone let me know:
1. if the part I marked red, i.e. a piece of metal In between the sprockets, is normal,
2. what the condition of the cassette is just by the attached pics, and
3. if it's possibile to run an 8-speed cassette on a bike with a 7-speed freewheel without additionally buying another shifter/ deraileur/other pieces of equipment. If so, what might be possibile adjustments?

The "extra piece of metal" looks like a shifting ramp.
Hard to gauge the extent of wear from a photo, although the smallest sprocket teeth look to have some "shark fin" asymmetry suggesting wear. In any case, you'll just have to see how well the cassette plays with whatever chain you propose to use.
The number of speeds is irrelevant - you can't use a cassette on a freewheel hub
Old 05-24-22, 01:22 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,820 Times in 1,540 Posts
you could also get new something like https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...oducts_id=6377 and https://www.thebikesmiths.com/produc...MaAm0jEALw_wcB