Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

OLLLLD Soma for sale in Houston....

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-20, 08:00 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts

This one looks like decent early to mid seventies quality Japanese construction. Someone go rescue it, it's too small for me, and I have less faith in Facebook members when it comes to buying and selling with each passing day. Every time I am selling something it's the same story, can you hold it, and then do the old no respond thing when it comes to the day they're supposed to cough up the cash. If you're buying something,,, yeah come right over, and you see that it is sold halfway through the trip to go pick it up. If this fit me I would probably go make a try for it.,,,,BD

Facebook marketplace in Houston..... For anyone interested. Titled "Racing Bike" and the price is 80 bucks....

Old 01-18-20, 07:27 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 1,264 Times in 603 Posts
Looks like a mid 70's "Sport" by the graphics, crank and front derailleur, probably built by Kuwahara. The "Sport" pictured in the '78 brochure I have has different font on the "SOMA" graphic but it has the same drivetrain . It's green but Flamboyant Red was one of 3 available colors and has chrome front and rear "socks"and as we all know brochures aren't always representative of what actually hit the sales floor. The fork may be a replacement or maybe it's the original with the paint stripped off. It's one step below the Prestige that I picked up last Fall. It would make someone a nice rider and you'd probably have the only one on your block, it deserves to be saved. When I start to thin the herd........ AGAIN.... this year my Soma will be one of the keepers.

Old 01-18-20, 08:22 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
While I agree that it is a Sport, the logo graphics are actually post 1978, as opposed to pre-1978. I'd place this circa 1980-1981.The serial number (likely on lower non-drive side of seat tube) will confirm the year. The chrome fork could be a replacement or maybe the owner just stripped the paint. If the finish on the upper section of the blades is rougher and shows more fine scratches, then it was likely stripped. Painted stays are OEM spec, as opposed to the chrome on the early version.

Outside of the forks, replacement pedals and missing brake lever hoods, it looks OEM. As noted, most were manufactured by Kuwahara and are well built. They were decent, upper entry level models for the era. Claimed weight 26.5 lbs for 23" frame..
Likes For T-Mar: