Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Could I make it work?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Could I make it work?

Old 01-25-21, 11:56 AM
Cassopher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Could I make it work?

I am 5’9” on a good day with a 30” inseam and ride a 54 Venge with a 90 mm stem. Anything longer than that (100-110+) and my elbows are locked and I’m stretched out. I’m considering going down a size to a 52 with a longer stem. How well would this work out? Is a 52 too small for a 5’9” rider?
Old 01-25-21, 12:15 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Is 52 too small. Might be.

Specialized sizing on a new Venge says either 54 cm or 56 for your size. But certainly you can probably fit others too.

It's a slightly more aggressive fit than my Tarmac. Are you certain a Venge is what you want? How many spacers do you have under the stem?
Old 01-25-21, 12:20 PM
Cassopher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Is 52 too small. Might be.

How many spacers do you have under the stem?

One spacer
Old 01-25-21, 12:33 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
If you still had a full stack of spacers under the stem then I'd say the Venge probably wasn't the bike for you. But if you went from what ever it came with when new to just one 5 or 10 mm spacer, then maybe it is a bike for you.

If you haven't tried a shorter stem, then that might help. You haven't pushed your seat back all the way have you?
Old 01-27-21, 08:14 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
plug in the geo and your stem dimensions for each of those sizes at Stack and reach calculator play around with spacers and stem angles until you get something that is close enough. the results are theoretical, so don't expect this to be 100% accurate, but it should give you a good idea of whether it will work or not.

without knowing the specific model and year of your Venge, I can't be certain. in general, when comparing two bikes of the same model:
  • a smaller frame will have move exposed seatpost, which can be a good thing because the seatpost will flex and give more with the terrain
  • the smaller frame will take a little more spacers/ stem height to get the handlebar high enough due to the typical shorter head tube (shorter frame stack). it sounds like you have the stem pretty low already, so getting a smaller frame probably wont' require and excessive spacer stack or taller stem
  • you'll have a little more standover height. not a big deal.
  • the smaller frame might fit with a more average stem.
I went through this recently when I bought my current drop-bar bike. I like a fairly compact fit, so I bought a 53cm Twin Six Standard Rando. I have been experimenting with 80 and 90 mm stems on it. 100mm is just a bit to stretched out on this bike. for my height—5,9", same as you—I could have fit on a 55cm frame as well, but with my tight hamstrings, it would have required a stem that is shorter than what I think is appropriate to optimize handling on such a bike. my bike has little in common with your Venge other than the drop handlebar, but I use this example of how two sizes could fit the same rider depending on the type of fit you want.

stem length is a contentious topic and I don't have the answers. some people say you can put as short or long a stem as you want on any bike so long as it makes the bike fit you. sticking with conventional wisdom, I think that the stem should be proportional to the rider and for an average height person like you and me, 90–110mm is a good range. if you need something much shorter or longer than that, barring a physical deformity or other limiting factor in your body, the frame is likely the wrong size.

Last edited by mack_turtle; 01-27-21 at 08:29 AM.