Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

6ft rider 54.5 warbird 650b

Old 10-15-20, 01:39 PM
valve_timing

Bikes: 2018 Breezer Doppler Pro , 1989 Centurion Ironman Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
6ft rider 54.5 warbird 650b

does anyone fit into this category ? i have an insane option to get a 2019 warbird 54.5 with 12 axs etap and a eagle cassette i ride a road bike with 55cm top top and a 110 stem with no issue . just double checking as im pretty sure i can make this bike fit but wanted to see if there are others who are similar height to me and riding this size warbird.
Old 10-15-20, 06:30 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by valve_timing
does anyone fit into this category ? i have an insane option to get a 2019 warbird 54.5 with 12 axs etap and a eagle cassette i ride a road bike with 55cm top top and a 110 stem with no issue . just double checking as im pretty sure i can make this bike fit but wanted to see if there are others who are similar height to me and riding this size warbird.
I’m a touch over 6’ and my Warbird is two sizes up (size 57.5). I feel like I bought the right size, but could probably go +/- 1 without too much trouble. It would be interesting to sit on a 54.5, but I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t like it. To get stack/reach where I wanted, I’d need some long angled stem and probably would show a lot of seatpost (I’m relatively long legged too)
Old 10-15-20, 08:30 PM
valve_timing

Originally Posted by wheelsmcgee
I’m a touch over 6’ and my Warbird is two sizes up (size 57.5). I feel like I bought the right size, but could probably go +/- 1 without too much trouble. It would be interesting to sit on a 54.5, but I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t like it. To get stack/reach where I wanted, I’d need some long angled stem and probably would show a lot of seatpost (I’m relatively long legged too)
I am right at 6ft I have two road bikes a lemond with 56.5tt and 90mm stem then a bike with 55 tt and 110 stem I have short trex arms
Likes For valve_timing:
Old 10-15-20, 08:44 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
No. (unless you have the legs of a 5' 7" person and your hands end where your wrists normally would be!)
Old 10-15-20, 09:07 PM
force10

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
I am right at 6ft I have two road bikes a lemond with 56.5tt and 90mm stem then a bike with 55 tt and 110 stem I have short trex arms
I’m a touch under 6’ and have the same size lemond as you with 100mm stem (90mm would work too probably). I don’t have a warbird but I do also ride a salsa Vaya size 55 and am pretty sure that the 56 warbird would be the right size for me. Seems like the 56 and 57.5 are closer than the 56 and the 54.5 - seat tube being the big difference.

How good a deal is it?
Old 10-15-20, 09:43 PM
valve_timing

Originally Posted by force10
I’m a touch under 6’ and have the same size lemond as you with 100mm stem (90mm would work too probably). I don’t have a warbird but I do also ride a salsa Vaya size 55 and am pretty sure that the 56 warbird would be the right size for me. Seems like the 56 and 57.5 are closer than the 56 and the 54.5 - seat tube being the big difference.

How good a deal is it?
let’s just say I’m getting it for the cost of shipping plus another hundred or so bits coming for a close friend so more like a gift you could say axs etap eagle cassette prime kanza 650b carbon wheels
Likes For valve_timing:
Old 10-15-20, 09:46 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I guess for that it's worth trying.
Old 10-15-20, 09:56 PM
valve_timing

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I guess for that it's worth trying.
my mind set is I can make it longer/ bigger via stem and setback seatpost
Old 10-15-20, 10:06 PM
valve_timing

Originally Posted by wheelsmcgee
I have 32 inseam so not crazy long legs for my height
Likes For valve_timing:
Old 10-15-20, 10:15 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
If it winds up being too small, it sounds like you could sell it at a profit, so why not try to make it work. You could always put bigger wheels on it, or fatter tires (which is the main point of putting 650b on a gravel bike).
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 10-15-20, 10:27 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
The prior owner could flip it. This seems like a friend deal. If it doesn’t fit will he want it back? If you flipped it, would he feel betrayed?

I’d prob say no if it did not fit. If I were to take it, then if it does not fit, shop for a nice frame that does. That seems within the spirit of the gift.

My wife has a Rivendell that she never rides, a sweet deal from one of my coworkers. It’s a size too big. We have a handshake with him he’ll buy it back at the same price, but so far she has not been willing to let it go.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 10-15-20 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-16-20, 08:08 AM
valve_timing

nah i told him id take it and if i couldnt get it to fit that i would flip the frame for the next size up hes moving to a seven cycles evergreen so he could careless about the warbird at this point.
Old 10-16-20, 08:10 AM
valve_timing

Originally Posted by wgscott
If it winds up being too small, it sounds like you could sell it at a profit, so why not try to make it work. You could always put bigger wheels on it, or fatter tires (which is the main point of putting 650b on a gravel bike).

Already 650b
Old 10-16-20, 08:34 AM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
I am 5' 11" and I had a 2017 Warbird in a 55cm and sold it because it felt too small.
Old 10-16-20, 08:42 AM
force10

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
nah i told him id take it and if i couldnt get it to fit that i would flip the frame for the next size up hes moving to a seven cycles evergreen so he could careless about the warbird at this point.
Does your friend need more friends?
Likes For force10:
Old 10-16-20, 09:05 AM
valve_timing

Originally Posted by force10
Does your friend need more friends?
lol idk im pretty blown away by this to be honest cause im married and 5 kids i couldnt afford to ever build a bike of this caliber. the nicest bike ill ever own thats for sure currently my nice bike is a 2002 torelli stilleto aluminum with carbon fork and seat stays full campy centaur and campy wheels but that will be for sale soon
Likes For valve_timing:
Old 10-16-20, 12:14 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
That is a cool friend, sounds like it will work out well for ya. Putting a longer stem on it shouldn't kill it. I test road that bike, and it fits me like a glove, but I'm about 3 inches shorter than you. Its a great machine though, I'm jealous. If for some reason it doesn't' work out for ya, I would be happy to reimburse you all your expenses and take it off your hands in person. Bike looks gorgeous! Does it come with the helmet - 'cause you certainly need a matching helmet with that rid.
Old 10-16-20, 02:44 PM
valve_timing

it doesnt come with a helmet ill have to buy one . and yeah i compared the geo to my 56cm breezer doppler and the doppler was long for 56cm frameset reach is 20mm short on the warbird and stack is 4.5mm taller seat tube angle is same ht angle is 70.75* on warbird and 70 on the breezer.so when i look at the numbers its very close all things considered.
Old 10-16-20, 02:45 PM
valve_timing

Originally Posted by chas58
That is a cool friend, sounds like it will work out well for ya. Putting a longer stem on it shouldn't kill it. I test road that bike, and it fits me like a glove, but I'm about 3 inches shorter than you. Its a great machine though, I'm jealous. If for some reason it doesn't' work out for ya, I would be happy to reimburse you all your expenses and take it off your hands in person. Bike looks gorgeous! Does it come with the helmet - 'cause you certainly need a matching helmet with that rid.
yeah if for someone reason it doesnt fit ill be looking to sell or trade the frameset for next one up or something similar inregards to market value and frame material
Old 10-16-20, 02:48 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Lucky duck. Will be an awesome ride whether you keep this frame or get the next size up.
Old 10-16-20, 02:59 PM
valve_timing

Originally Posted by tdilf
Lucky duck. Will be an awesome ride whether you keep this frame or get the next size up.
im certainly hoping so.
Old 10-18-20, 08:13 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
I have the exact same Bird (model and size) and I'm almost the exact same height and inseam as you. My Warbird is setup almost exactly the same as your friend's in the pic. I have a 100mm stem, and 20mm setback post. I came from a SuperX with a 55cm ETT, that also fit perfectly with its steeper angles. I ride a 56cm SuperSix (road fit is longer and lower than gravel fit).

All this to say I'm a weird fit when it comes to bikes. Literally no one I know rides bikes set up the way I ride them (slightly small). But my issue is that I have shortish arms, shortish femurs, and poor midback flexibility. So I need a bike with a steep STA (not found on current gravel bikes), a shortish TT (found on the 54.5 warbird by sizing down), and a high-ish stack (kinda found on the bird). It's so hard to say whether it'll fit you well but be prepared for a relatively aggressive setup. One thing I tried with great success was Specialized's Hoverbars. The 15mm rise really helped with stack. I eventually got my flexibility to a point where I could go to a normal bar. Hopefully all these data points help more than confuse. If you have any more specific questions I'm likely the best person you'll ever "meet" for this lol.

P.S. - I just read your previous posts a little better. You should be able to make this bike fit, even if you get something like the Hoverbars. You'll never get a better deal so there's no reason to not try. The Warbird is such a great bike. I freaking love it.

Last edited by shoota; 10-18-20 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-19-20, 12:54 PM
valve_timing

Originally Posted by shoota
I have the exact same Bird (model and size) and I'm almost the exact same height and inseam as you. My Warbird is setup almost exactly the same as your friend's in the pic. I have a 100mm stem, and 20mm setback post. I came from a SuperX with a 55cm ETT, that also fit perfectly with its steeper angles. I ride a 56cm SuperSix (road fit is longer and lower than gravel fit).

All this to say I'm a weird fit when it comes to bikes. Literally no one I know rides bikes set up the way I ride them (slightly small). But my issue is that I have shortish arms, shortish femurs, and poor midback flexibility. So I need a bike with a steep STA (not found on current gravel bikes), a shortish TT (found on the 54.5 warbird by sizing down), and a high-ish stack (kinda found on the bird). It's so hard to say whether it'll fit you well but be prepared for a relatively aggressive setup. One thing I tried with great success was Specialized's Hoverbars. The 15mm rise really helped with stack. I eventually got my flexibility to a point where I could go to a normal bar. Hopefully all these data points help more than confuse. If you have any more specific questions I'm likely the best person you'll ever "meet" for this lol.

P.S. - I just read your previous posts a little better. You should be able to make this bike fit, even if you get something like the Hoverbars. You'll never get a better deal so there's no reason to not try. The Warbird is such a great bike. I freaking love it.
i knew there was someone just like me out there man and yeah i was thinking 100mm stem and 20-25mm setback gets me in a similar position as i have on my horizontal TT road bikes. and yeah with the high stack i can slam the stem if i want and not be super hunched over. im really excited for this bike i do have to wait a couple months as my buddy aquires parts for his new build but its going to be worth the wait . im going to pm you thanks bro !
Likes For valve_timing:
Old 10-19-20, 09:09 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
also check the front center measurement to make sure there is no toe overlap
Old 10-20-20, 07:17 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z
also check the front center measurement to make sure there is no toe overlap
It's very minimal for me. It's not something I even think about.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.