Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Distractions

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Distractions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-21, 04:14 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Bad cycling ideas include, but are not limited to, listening to ear buds and steering with one hand while holding a go cup of coffee in the other, riding on the crowded sidewalk instead of on the road, crossing the travel lanes in any haphazard way, riding two abreast, chatting away while the traffic piles up behind.
Old 08-05-21, 06:14 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
I see lots of people holding a phone up to their ear with one hand while they ride. I used to yell “hangup and ride”. But I don’t bother anymore. Too many electric bikes zooming along the local MUP to worry about that. Isn’t it amazing how all the people who have bought ebikes using the usual excuses about getting old or the wife needs help or whatever are now zooming along at 30 mpg? Makes me sick and scared and angry.
Old 08-05-21, 06:26 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
I see lots of people holding a phone up to their ear with one hand while they ride. I used to yell “hangup and ride”. But I don’t bother anymore. Too many electric bikes zooming along the local MUP to worry about that. Isn’t it amazing how all the people who have bought ebikes using the usual excuses about getting old or the wife needs help or whatever are now zooming along at 30 mpg? Makes me sick and scared and angry.
You meant 30 mph? I hear you. I have no issues with cyclists on e-bikes but too many are piloted by ninnies who lack even the most rudimentary bike handling ability, and thus are too chicken to use bike lanes on roads, but zoom along MUPs and sidewalks without regard for other cyclists or pedestrians.
Old 08-06-21, 07:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
Bad cycling ideas include, but are not limited to, listening to ear buds and steering with one hand while holding a go cup of coffee in the other, riding on the crowded sidewalk instead of on the road, crossing the travel lanes in any haphazard way, riding two abreast, chatting away while the traffic piles up behind.

This is ridiculous. I've ridden quite a bit on very many campuses around the US, including recently quite a bit at UMass Amherst where my son is going. I've literally never seen any of most of the things you describe, and when I do see cyclists riding on "sidewalks" it's because it's a path where there are no parallel roads. I have not seen any situations where the riders aren't watching out for the pedestrians on the crowded path.

Riding two abreast is both reasonable and legal in a lot of situations, btw.

Are you spending a bunch of time at Bedlam State University? This has "kids today" rant written all over it.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-06-21, 07:30 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
I am not impressed. They called things that were "potential" distractions as distractions. If they are going to call those things a "prevalent safety concern" they should go on to identify how, or to delineate consequences of the distractions? Does accident data suggest that distracted riding is a "prevalent safety concern?" Unless you can connect the possible distractions to accidents/consequences, then it's not much of a safety concern to me.

I have found that I have two primary distractions, and they are somewhat connected. I suffer chronic daily headaches. It's not a matter of "if" I will have a headache on any given day, it's a matter of how bad it will be. I don't ride nearly as well when I have a headache. Fatigue is another distracting factor for me. My situational awareness takes a hit when I am physically exhausted.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 08-06-21, 09:44 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by MNebiker
After reading the "useless forum" discussion, may I submit for consideration the following study done in Boston and published by the National Institutes Of Health. Subject is distracted cycling - seems to have merit, since distracted driving is a major issue it seems to follow that the same may be true of cycling.

As a side note - two days ago I almost had a head-on accident with a phone zombie on a bike as he came around a curve on my side of the trail. I hit my brakes and shouted at him, he swerved at the last second and missed me by inches. Actually, this was the second time this has happened to me recently.

Anyway - submitted for you consideration. Have at it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4785823/
I have had the same thing happen to me by racer boyz head down staring at their front wheel. I had to swerve off the bike path.
Old 08-06-21, 11:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I have had the same thing happen to me by racer boyz head down staring at their front wheel. I had to swerve off the bike path.

Clearly, bikes should be ridden without those distracting front wheels.
Old 08-07-21, 11:50 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
I've never seen anyone looking at a cell phone while cycling on a public road. If I did, I'd nominate them for a Darwin award. I see pedestrians looking at phones all the time, and just wonder what's so important that they can't enjoy a walk without it.
Old 08-07-21, 04:03 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Thank you for removing the distraction that was previously in this thread. The Bike League has removed "Enforcement" from its "E's" but we demonstrated that, at times, it is needed.
Old 08-07-21, 05:13 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
Thank you for removing the distraction that was previously in this thread. The Bike League has removed "Enforcement" from its "E's" but we demonstrated that, at times, it is needed.
What is the Bike League and what did it "enforce"? Something about distraction?
Old 09-17-21, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
I counted 76 uses of the word “distracted”, which was itself kind of distracting.

As for assuming earbuds would be distracting without offering a shred of evidence, can’t say I’m impressed. My own evidence, over 20 years riding while listening to music in both city and country without incident, is of course merely anecdotal, but I reckon anyone who’s truly distracted isn’t going to last very long on the road, and will be racking up an impressive number of close calls along the way.