Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

2 bicycles collide, caught on Google Maps

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

2 bicycles collide, caught on Google Maps

Old 03-11-22, 01:39 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Yes, I'm aware of peripheral vision, and no I don't believe you're capable of perceiving the things you're claiming you can from those pictures. Does your peripheral vision selectively blur faces and detect and predict movement from a series of still images? This literally has absolutely nothing to do with how peripheral vision cues work--peripheral vision is good at detecting movement, but not details. You are literally trying to infer movement from details in still pictures here without actually seeing the movements between those pictures, completely different process.

You're wrong, there's distortion introduced by the whole lens arrangement and peculiar perspective, and it's made worse when you "zoom in" by magnifying areas. Do you have any more stupid, uninformed insulting questions you want to hurl at me or can we call it a day?
You can also have basic details on peripheral vision but obviously not the finer details but it's enough to extrapolate useful info. Extrapolation comes with experience and possibly triggered by more stressful situations like driving in rush hour traffic everyday for example.

There's enough details to be had on those blurred faces in google streetview. The nose, ears, and eyes can be made out and the direction where the head is turned.

You must be color blind if you can't see it.

Take this test. (except for the personality and lantern test, the lantern test is unavailable). I had perfect score on all these tests.

https://www.colorblindnesstest.org/
Old 03-11-22, 01:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by qwaalodge
You can also have basic details on peripheral vision but obviously not the finer details but it's enough to extrapolate useful info. Extrapolation comes with experience and possibly triggered by more stressful situations like driving in rush hour traffic everyday for example.

There's enough details to be had on those blurred faces in google streetview. The nose, ears, and eyes can be made out and the direction where the head is turned.

You must be color blind if you can't see it.

Take this test. (except for the personality and lantern test, the lantern test is unavailable). I had perfect score on all these tests.

https://www.colorblindnesstest.org/
Done with your rabbit hole, bye. That information just isn't on the face blurs, I get that you can't understand that you're just filling it in.
Old 03-11-22, 08:04 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Done with your rabbit hole, bye. That information just isn't on the face blurs, I get that you can't understand that you're just filling it in.
You're right, it isn't just the face. You also have to look at other factors, multiple viewpoints, speed, angles, vehicular traffic, etc. You could still be color blind. A lot of men don't realize their color blindness until they took the tests.

All information shown so far shows:
-both riders are moving slowly, under 10 mph
-the rider in white shirt saw the other rider well in advance
-he didn't hit the suspected pothole at least not until after the collision
-he did have plenty of room to stop if he had working brakes or the ability to operate the brakes
-vehicular traffic follows the standard "keep right" rule for two way traffic
-The plastic bag on the handlebar and not wearing helmets is not the cause of the accident

Perhaps what you may not understand in most countries around the world, cyclist are free to do anything on the road and no cop will pull them over for breaking road laws like running a red light, overspeeding, and riding on the wrong side of the road.

However, in light of safety, it would serve you best if you follow the basic laws for vehicular traffic like stopping on red light, and avoid riding on the opposite side of the road. Chance of accidents increase if you behave on the road contrary to what the majority is doing because you'll be much more unpredictable and in many circumstances, road users won't expect your presence in some situations so would not be looking your way.