Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

onflicting measurements for frame size

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 05-20-22, 10:53 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts

My adult son is buying a new Trek Checkpoint. According to the Trek sizing guide his height suggests a 56cm frame but his inseam suggests a 54. Which is the most important measurement? Would either frame size work?
Old 05-20-22, 11:59 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Either size might work. Even sizes outside the suggested range might work.

I'd probably go toward the smaller frame size. But a lot will depend on whether your son will like the slightly more saddle to handle bar drop that the smaller size will have.

Though the Checkpoint doesn't look very aggressive in fit. So it may be better all around to go smaller. But you never know for certain until the bike is ridden long enough to find out. Before that, everything is a guess. Some educated guesses, some not.

If you son doesn't ride much yet then if you aren't already, you might consider getting one of the lower tier models of the Checkpoint that are less expensive. Then if the size, geometry, fit and other things aren't quite right getting a more correct bike will be easier on the wallet.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-20-22 at 12:05 PM.