Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Road safety in Washington DC

Search
Notices
Mid-Atlantic Pennsylvania | Maryland | DC | Delaware | West Virginia | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-22, 10:41 PM
rybin

Bikes: GT Talera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts

Hey y'all, I'm new to biking and I live in DC. I can't afford a car, so I have to get everywhere on my bike in a city notorious for crazy and dangerous drivers. For those of y'all who live (or lived) in DC, are there any spots/routes you'd say are the most dangerous? The most safe? In between?

I have some in mind personally. M St through Georgetown sounds like it would be awful, same with the stretch of Florida Ave that passes through that gnarly intersection with the Wendy's in the middle. Both sound dangerous as hell, and I haven't tried it out because of it.
Old 02-25-22, 11:05 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,174 Times in 1,465 Posts
I commuted in DC for 20 years with few problems. Definitely Florida Ave is an area to avoid because traffic is trying to get clear of that intersection and cars go fast and run lights. Georgetown is also bad because of drivers watching people and things happening on the sidewalks. But you should be fine just staying observant, figuring all cats are going to do something unsafe, and keep yourself visible.
Old 02-25-22, 11:17 PM
rybin

Bikes: GT Talera

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
How long's it been since you actively commuted here? I'm interested because I speak from experience when I say things have gotten substantially worse in the last two years with drivers in the area. Before I had a bike I mostly walked places or to/between bus stops so I experienced it then, too, and everyone I've talked to agrees a lot more of the city is dangerous for walking/biking than pre-pandemic.

Thank you for your perspective! I've already learned to be observant of the cats!
Old 06-19-22, 03:52 PM
rbrech58

Bikes: Nishiki Comp II ('79), BMC UC01 ('12), LeMond Prolog ('21)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
14th Street through Columbia Heights

14th Street passing through Columbia Heights has been crazy for years - but has gotten far worse if you stay in the designated bike lanes. I don't know a better solution - but moving the bike lane between the bus stops and the sidewalk is beyond absurd. No one ever looks when stepping into the bike lane. Buses, cars, delivery vans etc all double park up the designated lanes where its physically possible. I've never made it through without 2-3 close calls.
Old 07-19-22, 09:47 PM
jaybike

Bikes: A Bianchi, Fuji Royale, Trek 715, and Benotto

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
18th Street going around Adams Morgan also seems crazy. The bike lanes are nice, but it's definitely stressful to be a cyclist in the city.
Old 07-21-22, 05:06 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
One thing I have noticed is if you are a pedestrian and not familiar with a bike lane you could almost get run over. As a cyclist I try to chill a bit, and where I live most sidewalks are ramped, and I just bike on the sidewalk.

DC has to be a disaster.
Old 10-03-22, 06:20 AM
Buzzard II
Old Geezer

Bikes: Fuji police bike, Priority Coast, Giant Simple 7

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't have a dog in this fight because I live an hour west of DC. But I don't even drive my truck in the war zone.