Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mech disc brake with single piston = scam?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Mech disc brake with single piston = scam?

Old 08-11-22, 06:03 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 262 Posts
[QUOTE][Then tell us how you 'blew the pistons out twice'./QUOTE]

My terminology may be incorrect. The front caliper didn't hold the fluid in it going down a steep grade . I contacted TRP and they sent a new one along with a return box for the broken one. Although it took longer.It happened one more time and they replaced it again. I don't trust them.
Old 08-11-22, 08:25 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
I've had a quite a few bikes over the years of various rim, mechanical, and hydraulic disc brakes. I have over 20 years' experience as a mechanic (I know that doesn't mean I was competent). I had a new 2016 bicycle with a famous maker's (starts with an "A") single piston caliper. The pad friction was not too bad, but obviously less than ideal. There was a lot of cable compression that wasn't all that apparent on casual riding around.
I was not exactly tailgating (maybe 60 feet behind) the Jeep Grand Cherokee on the 8% downhill, but when they stood on the brakes I could not match their deceleration from highway speeds. It felt like I nearly ended it all right there, I ended up rolling by them at 25-30 mph.
MY POINT: When it comes time to stop at maximum theoretical braking, absolutely off the back of the saddle...that my Fredley friends, is a very special time for those little molecules dissipating all that energy. Everything has to be... Just So.