Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cycling Specific Signs - Cheers and Jeers

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cycling Specific Signs - Cheers and Jeers

Old 06-13-19, 05:40 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Old 10-17-19, 10:40 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Two signs close to my house:

I'm happy to see this, but it's kinda disappointing that you need a sign to explain this to people driving

File this under ???? What is "Safe Speeds"? These popped up earlier this year on either side of a new seniors apartment adjacent to a rail-trail. I'm sure the seniors are complaining about those 'fast cyclists', but there are no speed limits on these trails. Additionally, I wonder if these same seniors use 'safe speed' when passing me riding my bike on the road while they are driving their minivan?

Old 10-17-19, 02:14 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Two signs close to my house:

File this under ???? What is "Safe Speeds"? These popped up earlier this year on either side of a new seniors apartment adjacent to a rail-trail. I'm sure the seniors are complaining about those 'fast cyclists', but there are no speed limits on these trails. Additionally, I wonder if these same seniors use 'safe speed' when passing me riding my bike on the road while they are driving their minivan?

They put up a bunch of signs about using appropriate speeds on the Minuteman after a rider got killed in a head on with another cyclist. I think this is pretty innocuous, and actually gives cyclists some credit for using their judgment to determine what speed is safe. I wouldn't complain about them posting this instead of posting an arbitrary speed limit--it's really an acknowledgment that the safe speed is going to vary from section to section.

Yeah, if senior housing really is right next to the path, you really probably should slow down for a small stretch. Big deal. If the sign makes the seniors feel a little bit more secure using the path, what's wrong with that?
Old 10-17-19, 03:10 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by livedarklions
They put up a bunch of signs about using appropriate speeds on the Minuteman after a rider got killed in a head on with another cyclist. I think this is pretty innocuous, and actually gives cyclists some credit for using their judgment to determine what speed is safe. I wouldn't complain about them posting this instead of posting an arbitrary speed limit--it's really an acknowledgment that the safe speed is going to vary from section to section.

Yeah, if senior housing really is right next to the path, you really probably should slow down for a small stretch. Big deal. If the sign makes the seniors feel a little bit more secure using the path, what's wrong with that?
No big deal, it'd be a much bigger issue if somebody tried to force a speed limit on these trails.

Like I said, file under "???" - It's not terribly helpful, except to give the old people the opportunity to shake an angry fist at a person biking 'too fast'. A better sign would alert trail users that there are elderly trail users and use additional caution while passing (and that's what I do).

To the credit of Three Rivers Park District (managing this trail), the backs of the signs remind trail users to stay right and share the trail.

There's another seniors building a few miles east of this new (huge) building, it's had no issues with residence using the trail safely. I frequently pass a vision-impaired elder man, if he's not having issues, I'm sure the new seniors will be just fine.

To be totally honest, the new seniors apartment has caused me and others a lot of heartburn in the short time the building has been there ... these signs just flare up the pain of past issues.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 10-18-19 at 06:45 AM. Reason: typo - of course
Old 10-17-19, 06:11 PM
ab_antiquo
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
I used a short section of a MUP this Summer and it was the most over the top thing that I've ridden. Signed with pavement markings like a road. Solid yellow for no passing, dashed for passing and all kinds of Nervous Nellie signage.

Old 10-18-19, 07:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

No big deal, it'd be a much bigger issue if somebody tried to force a speed limit on these trails.

Like I said, file under "???" - It's not terribly helpful, except to give the old people the opportunity to shake an angry fist at a person biking 'too fast'. A better sign would alert trail users that there are elderly trail users and use additional caution while passing (and that's what I do).

To the credit of Three Rivers Park District (managing this trail), the backs of the signs remind trail users to stay right and share the trail.

There's another seniors building a few miles east of this new (huge) building, it's had no issues with residence using the trail safely. I frequently pass a vision-impaired elder man, if he's not having issues, I'm sure the new seniors will be just fine.

To be totally honest, the new seniors apartment has caused me and others a lot of heartburn in the short time the building has been there ... these signs just flare up the pain of past issues.
In fairness, though, you wouldn't necessarily know who they were trying to reassure with what are essentially "go slow here" signs because they would probably be people who were too nervous to use the path.

I don't get the "heartburn" bit. When I ride a path, I know there are places where I have to slow way down and other places where I can ride fast. That's true of just about any traffic artery.
Old 10-18-19, 07:54 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by livedarklions
In fairness, though, you wouldn't necessarily know who they were trying to reassure with what are essentially "go slow here" signs because they would probably be people who were too nervous to use the path.

I don't get the "heartburn" bit. When I ride a path, I know there are places where I have to slow way down and other places where I can ride fast. That's true of just about any traffic artery.
Like you, I know my routes well and know when I can put down the power and when the route can hide a danger. I have never crashed with another trail user, ever. And to that point, I don't know of any crashes at this location.

These signs have the same purpose as school zone signs on the roads, the signs explain the reason you need to drive with extra cause, not just 'slow down'. Or a curve sign that's warning you to slow because of the road conditions. Simply "slow down" isn't helpful and just a little annoying.

Three Rivers manages over 240 miles of bike trails. I live where 5 of these trails come together, so I ride most of these 240 miles. Oddly, this the only place I've seen these "safe speed" signs, so they stand out as unique. Like I said before, there are many other seniors facilities along these trails. Funny enough, slow down sign near the middle school would be better, dozens of kids spill on to the trail that runs past the school as classes lets out and they are not paying attention to anything ... ever. (I avoid riding this trail in the afternoon hours, distracted drivers are less dangerous )

Rabbit hole, off topic, long story:
The heartburn is related to the builders of this seniors apartment forcing leases to be broken to accelerate the construction of this apartment (all about the $$$). One of the businesses was where I boarded my dogs, small locally owned business that I'd worked with for years. I had a trip planned and dogs booked, when the developers forced the boarding house to close, leaving me to scrambling to find another place for our dogs on Thanksgiving week. It took that boarding house over a year to find a new location and get back in business. That sucks, it's nothing to do with the people that live there, but was the start of the heartburn.

The next heartburn is it's own thread - https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-...rant-hate.html - see the pic in post 5, you can see the apartment in the background.

Lastly, I've been caring for a few elder women in my life during the last few years. To be clear, I am an advocate for the elder (as well as people biking). OTOH I have an issue with the way some are trying to force changes to long existing trails and parks to conform to their wants instead of adapting to the place they picked to live. This article is related, but not directly connected to this issue - Progressive Boomers Are Making It Impossible For Cities To Fix The Housing Crisis

In summation, the signs are just ??? - not a cheer or a jeer, just kinda WTF? and yes, there's a lot of baggage that I bring along this assessment, I'm certain nearly no one else has even noticed the sign.
Old 10-18-19, 08:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Like you, I know my routes well and know when I can put down the power and when the route can hide a danger. I have never crashed with another trail user, ever. And to that point, I don't know of any crashes at this location.

These signs have the same purpose as school zone signs on the roads, the signs explain the reason you need to drive with extra cause, not just 'slow down'. Or a curve sign that's warning you to slow because of the road conditions. Simply "slow down" isn't helpful and just a little annoying.

Three Rivers manages over 240 miles of bike trails. I live where 5 of these trails come together, so I ride most of these 240 miles. Oddly, this the only place I've seen these "safe speed" signs, so they stand out as unique. Like I said before, there are many other seniors facilities along these trails. Funny enough, slow down sign near the middle school would be better, dozens of kids spill on to the trail that runs past the school as classes lets out and they are not paying attention to anything ... ever. (I avoid riding this trail in the afternoon hours, distracted drivers are less dangerous )

Rabbit hole, off topic, long story:
The heartburn is related to the builders of this seniors apartment forcing leases to be broken to accelerate the construction of this apartment (all about the $$$). One of the businesses was where I boarded my dogs, small locally owned business that I'd worked with for years. I had a trip planned and dogs booked, when the developers forced the boarding house to close, leaving me to scrambling to find another place for our dogs on Thanksgiving week. It took that boarding house over a year to find a new location and get back in business. That sucks, it's nothing to do with the people that live there, but was the start of the heartburn.

The next heartburn is it's own thread - https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-...rant-hate.html - see the pic in post 5, you can see the apartment in the background.

Lastly, I've been caring for a few elder women in my life during the last few years. To be clear, I am an advocate for the elder (as well as people biking). OTOH I have an issue with the way some are trying to force changes to long existing trails and parks to conform to their wants instead of adapting to the place they picked to live. This article is related, but not directly connected to this issue - Progressive Boomers Are Making It Impossible For Cities To Fix The Housing Crisis

In summation, the signs are just ??? - not a cheer or a jeer, just kinda WTF? and yes, there's a lot of baggage that I bring along this assessment, I'm certain nearly no one else has even noticed the sign.
Thanks! I was confused by your previous post, and this explains it all very nicely. I have to say, though, that I think this sign isn't much of a head scratcher, and is a better approach than the one taken on the Minuteman. They did a series of cutesy signs in the old Burma Shave road sign style. So you come upon a series of signs like this about 50 feet apart:

Sign 1: Lookin' good
Sign 2: In your jersey and bike pants
Sign 3: Watch your speed
Sign 4: This ain't Tour d'France

A few problems with this--
It's actually distracting, taking your eyes off the path multiple times
The signs are temporary on stakes, so oftentimes one or more out of the series gets knocked down, making the whole thing pretty confusing
The only guidance on them is "watch your speed", so it's not especially helpful.
Personally, I find that "cute" gets annoying with repetition
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-18-19, 10:56 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
So just wondering, on any “sidewalk” anywhere?

You’re lookin’ good
In your wedges and “bike” shorts
But watch your step
This isn’t a fashion course

(p.s. Cary didn’t crash “head on,” they clipped handlebars. There is NO evidence that speed was a factor. Lexington plans to post 15 mph speed limit signs, but Cambridge, Arlington and Bedford...? And Lexington’s “Burma Shave” signs predate the crash.)

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 10-18-19 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-18-19, 01:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mr_bill
So just wondering, on any “sidewalk” anywhere?

You’re lookin’ good
In your wedges and “bike” shorts
But watch your step
This isn’t a fashion course

(p.s. Cary didn’t crash “head on,” they clipped handlebars. There is NO evidence that speed was a factor. Lexington plans to post 15 mph speed limit signs, but Cambridge, Arlington and Bedford...? And Lexington’s “Burma Shave” signs predate the crash.)

-mr. bill

Never actually got the details on the crash and I now see it was coincidence that I first saw the Burma Shave signs right after it, thanks for the info. I'm having a hard time imagining clipping handlebars at a slow speed, AND landing hard enough to be killed under those circumstances. I seem to recall the initial reports were they were going in opposite directions--is that not true?
I can see why Lexington would be more prone to putting the speed limit on--that stretch by the old Lexington train station is a lot of people going in different directions on foot, in cars and on bikes.

I think the pedestrian equivalent might be to tell people to wear sensible heels.
Old 10-19-19, 07:17 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
No pic, but the Stone Mountain Trail (and other metro Atlanta MUPs) all have signs forbidding (by state law#) any motorized vehicles except wheelchairs.... Channel 46, Stone Mountain City employees, and an uncountable slew of contractors (trucks) can't arse themselves to read or givadamn.... Likewise the authorities....
Old 10-20-19, 06:00 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Outrageously helpful and informative sign for cycle commuters trying to reach the employment center of downtown:

Biggest problem with that "bike lane ends" sign... It needs a bigger one, right on top, that says "CYCLIST WILL USE FULL LANE"

Motorists don't see those bike lane signs... and they then wonder "why is this cyclist suddenly in "my" lane?
So "BIKE LANE ENDS" should always have a "CYCLIST WILL USE FULL LANE" with it... just so the drivers get a clue.
Likes For genec:
Old 10-20-19, 06:15 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
UGH! Is there a way to edit the thread title?
Thread titled fixed.
Old 10-20-19, 06:24 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by cb400bill
Thread titled fixed.
Thank you!
Old 10-20-19, 06:25 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 10-20-19, 10:31 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
This time of year I get a blinding reminder that I should avoid looking directly at traffic signs when my helmet light is on. Reflectors send the light directly back to its source, and when the source is a few inches from your eyes you get the full blast.
Old 10-20-19, 12:52 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by gecho
This time of year I get a blinding reminder that I should avoid looking directly at traffic signs when my helmet light is on. Reflectors send the light directly back to its source, and when the source is a few inches from your eyes you get the full blast.
That's what I do to check my light is aimed properly. So when I stare into the driver's window, I know my light would be shining directly into his face making it more difficult for him to drive forward if he can't see what he's driving into. So I hope.
Old 10-20-19, 03:06 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts

Likes For CliffordK:
Old 10-23-19, 07:21 PM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 184 Posts
Mixed messages riding home today:

Old 10-23-19, 07:33 PM
Ikester

Bikes: Trek Marlin 2012, Giant Defy 1, Trek Domane 4.5, Giant Toughroad GX1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Likes For Ikester:
Old 10-24-19, 07:02 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

^^^^^
Old 10-31-19, 08:27 PM
SactoDoug
eMail Sold to Spammers

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Old 11-01-19, 06:42 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

We seem to have a battle of "no bikes on sidewalk" and "bikes use sidewalk"

Risking an A&S side conversation, it's easy to see why people are confused about where 'bikes belong'. Every town treats bike infrastructure differently.

In the Twin Cities, you can ride a contiguous rail-trail from Minneapolis to Chaska (~25 miles). The trail runs through 7 cities (and 4? changes in trail's name), each city treats trail crossings at roads totally different. In Minneapolis, at some of the crossings the bike route has right of way (no stop) and cross traffic on the road has the stop sign; but in neighboring St Louis Park trail crossing is treated like jaywalking - crossing mid-block with no rights and minimal road markings. I will make it a project of getting pictures of each of these diverse crossings and post them here.
Old 11-04-19, 12:49 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
This one always has left me puzzling.

What if I have two or more bikes? (N+1?)
If I walk, can I walk WITH my bike?
Can I *carry* my bike across as I walk?
Or is it just NO BIKE FOR YOU!

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 11-04-19 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-04-19, 03:07 PM
SactoDoug
eMail Sold to Spammers

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
This one always has left me puzzling.

What if I have two or more bikes? (N+1?)
If I walk, can I walk WITH my bike?
Can I *carry* my bike across as I walk?
Or is it just NO BIKE FOR YOU!

-mr. bill
You will have to check your local laws, but here in California a person is considered a pedestrian if they are walking a bicycle. They only become a vehicle if they are riding it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.