Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Video: cyclist broadsided

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Video: cyclist broadsided

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-22, 02:19 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...is it just this one, or are all the current A+S threads equally strange ?
If people wouldn't feed trolls, the signal to noise ratio would improve dramatically.
Old 08-02-22, 02:37 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Holy crap that is one seriously damn dumb bicycle rider. If the rider is hoping for the driver to be held legally accountable, so too should the bicycle rider. Crossing double yellow, running a red light, failure to yield right of way and for the damages to the motor vehicle. I hope the driver is charged with hit and run.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 08-02-22, 07:40 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Holy crap that is one seriously damn dumb bicycle rider. If the rider is hoping for the driver to be held legally accountable, so too should the bicycle rider. Crossing double yellow, running a red light, failure to yield right of way and for the damages to the motor vehicle. I hope the driver is charged with hit and run.
The cyclist's name is Andrew Black. He has a GoFundMe page to get a new bike. His page assigns all the blame to the city councillor, Amy DeGrise of the hit-and-run when Black ran the red light. But there was no mentioning of him running the red light.

Youtube has a lot of videos about the story all concentrating on the hit-and-run. But nobody highlights the fact of the red-light runner. There's an interview with Black who thinks DeGrise should go through the criminal legal process and that there has to be a lesson learned for safer streets. But the interviewer never challenged Black for running the red light. And if he were in a bike lane, he still would have ran the red.

If Amy DeGrise had stopped, this wouldn't have blown up to what it was. But Brown still would have been hit only because...he ran the red.

There's another video reporting that Brown's statement to the police says he was proceeding with the light. Which is a lie.

If he had waited for the green just like the car to his right waited, none of this would have happened.

0:56 rides past stopped car and enters intersection.

From the other angle showing his red light.

Andy Brown is a hypocrite for not taking responsibility for his own actions.

Last edited by Daniel4; 08-02-22 at 07:47 PM.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 08-02-22, 09:02 PM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
she didn't slow down before entering the intersection like our Canadian friend implies makes her guilty of bad driving.
OMG reading comprehension, dude. I was clearly talking about...
Emergency vehicles around these parts displaying lights and sounding sirens
Likes For tungsten:
Old 08-02-22, 09:29 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Yesterday I watched the lady in yellow, like the crash dummy was wearing. Watch from the start, at 0:50 she is watching her buddy while facing the approaching car.
At 0:55 she raises both arms together twice like the Braves tomahawk chop and then back down. This is as the cyclist starts to swing out to pass the stopped car. Looks like a signal to me.
Right at the collision, she runs away 30 feet and stops. Then comes back to pickup his shoe. She hangs around like they are buddies.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 08-02-22 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-03-22, 03:29 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
At 4:03 it shows the better reverse direction view. Almost looks like a Russian insurance scam unfolding.
Against a red light with two cameras?

Yesterday I watched the lady in yellow, like the crash dummy was wearing. Watch from the start, at 0:50 she is watching her buddy while facing the approaching car.
At 0:55 she raises both arms together twice like the Braves tomahawk chop and then back down. This is as the cyclist starts to swing out to pass the stopped car. Looks like a signal to me.
Right at the collision, she runs away 30 feet and stops. Then comes back to pickup his shoe. She hangs around like they are buddies.
The risk of the cyclist actually being killed was very high. People doing insurance scams don’t put themselves at that sort of risk.

It doesn’t seem she would have been able to see the car and she wouldn’t have been able to estimate the speed anywhere near as precise as such a scheme would require.

She’s waving to the person on the other side of the crosswalk.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-03-22 at 04:20 AM.
Old 08-03-22, 04:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

This is the dumbest thing I've read all week. Why would anyone need the signaller if their plan is to throw themselves in front of a car? And who would be crazy enough to do that and expect to be around to collect? This guy was incredibly lucky.
Old 08-03-22, 05:04 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
If people wouldn't feed trolls, the signal to noise ratio would improve dramatically.
Just put the Kitty Lawyer on Ignore and over 50% of the posts in this thread and others disappear.
Old 08-03-22, 07:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Just put the Kitty Lawyer on Ignore and over 50% of the posts in this thread and others disappear.

Well, 25/134, but we all know math isn't your strong suit.
Old 08-03-22, 07:19 AM
GhostRider62

If a cyclist ran a light and broadsided me in one of those lousy north jersey cities and it was clear the scofflaw was ok, I'd move up a few blocks to render assistance by calling 911 and await the cavalry there. Worst case the victim gets a couple of deserved 500 dollar tickets for running. She was probably scared of being mugged or jacked.
Old 08-03-22, 07:27 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
I don't understand how this became such a controversial topic

I'm no lawyer, so I can't be too precise in placing blame, but to my laymen eyes it seem reasonable to say both are at fault. The cyclist not only ran a red light, but he wasn't paying much attention. The motorist after hitting the cyclists just kept going.

When I first saw the video, I didn't think it would last too long, because it was so black and white, hence my first post: "I'm speechless". I didn't think I'd make another post on this; however, what caught my attention was that the driver is a city councilwoman. Who would of guessed That doesn't change the basic premise of the case here, but it does make it more interesting.

What I find very interesting is that the police may be helping the councilwoman to deceive the public. That's the real story here.

But as for all the bickering and splitting of hairs....I don't get it. The only answer that seems to make sense is that people are arguing with other people that they have a history with from other threads and want to continue attacking....I guess...
Old 08-03-22, 07:33 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by work4bike
I don't understand how this became such a controversial topic

I'm no lawyer, so I can't be too precise in placing blame, but to my laymen eyes it seem reasonable to say both are at fault. The cyclist not only ran a red light, but he wasn't paying much attention. The motorist after hitting the cyclists just kept going.

When I first saw the video, I didn't think it would last too long, because it was so black and white, hence my first post: "I'm speechless". I didn't think I'd make another post on this; however, what caught my attention was that the driver is a city councilwoman. Who would of guessed That doesn't change the basic premise of the case here, but it does make it more interesting.

What I find very interesting is that the police may be helping the councilwoman to deceive the public. That's the real story here.

But as for all the bickering and splitting of hairs....I don't get it. The only answer that seems to make sense is that people are arguing with other people that they have a history with from other threads and want to continue attacking....I guess...
We do not know why she ran. She was wrong. Politicians get special treatment, that is also wrong.

Have you been to lousy cities? I think it is plausible she was scared to stop. We'll never know. Personally, I never ever go to cities like that unless I am forced to. Now, I also understand that others will be outraged of my opinion that north jersey has lousy and dangerous cities that I avoid at all costs.

I do not see all the hair splitting and bickering in this thread? Maybe because the three trolls are on my Iggie.
Old 08-03-22, 07:41 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
We do not know why she ran. She was wrong. Politicians get special treatment, that is also wrong.

Have you been to lousy cities? I think it is plausible she was scared to stop. We'll never know. Personally, I never ever go to cities like that unless I am forced to. Now, I also understand that others will be outraged of my opinion that north jersey has lousy and dangerous cities that I avoid at all costs.

I do not see all the hair splitting and bickering in this thread? Maybe because the three trolls are on my Iggie.
True we don't know why she kept going. I'm from a lousy city (Washington DC), so I get that and it's possible. However, what I find fishy is that she, according to new reports, didn't report the accident until six hours later. And no one is answering the question: Did the police contact her about the accident or did she go in on her own?

I think it's safe to say, she's preparing her defense and she just may make the claim about being afraid to stop, but the delay...that's harder to explain. I think it's safe to say, that if this was some regular joe, he/she would be treated much differently.

Likes For work4bike:
Old 08-03-22, 08:02 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
She was probably scared of being mugged or jacked.
That still doesn't negate her duty to stop and remain at the scene. However, if she were attacked after stopping, that would have created an extenuating circumstance where it would've been acceptable to flee.
Old 08-03-22, 08:05 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2698 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Shocking to see people on a bike forum defending a hit and run. The fact that the cyclist ran a red light doesn't change anything. How would you like it if a car got you when you weren't paying attention and doing something stupid? If a clueless pedestrian walks out in front of you on the MUP are you entitled to hit them?
Old 08-03-22, 08:08 AM
LarrySellerz

If a cyclist ran a light and broadsided me in one of those lousy north jersey cities and it was clear the scofflaw was ok, I'd move up a few blocks to render assistance by calling 911 and await the cavalry there. Worst case the victim gets a couple of deserved 500 dollar tickets for running. She was probably scared of being mugged or jacked.
The guy was lucky, that could have been much worse. She had no way of knowing that she didn't seriously injury or potentially kill someone when she decided to keep on driving. Not stopping because you are afraid of being mugged is laughable and frankly shameful
Old 08-03-22, 08:09 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by work4bike
True we don't know why she kept going. I'm from a lousy city (Washington DC), so I get that and it's possible. However, what I find fishy is that she, according to new reports, didn't report the accident until six hours later. And no one is answering the question: Did the police contact her about the accident or did she go in on her own?

I think it's safe to say, she's preparing her defense and she just may make the claim about being afraid to stop, but the delay...that's harder to explain. I think it's safe to say, that if this was some regular joe, he/she would be treated much differently.

No question there. Look at the husband of a famous politician who ran a stop sign in Napa. Drunk as a skunk with drugs in him. Both cars totaled. The victim seriously injured. Paul had an 1199 card and lots of connections. ANY of us would be fighting a felony charge and jail time on that one. But, that is not how it works. The lady who ran away in this thread probably got legal advice (from the Chief of Police) and came forward to collect her two tickets and one point on here license. I doubt the judge will do anything.

I witnessed an egregious traffic violation by a school bus driver who totalled a kids car and he was hurt. No charges. I went to court three times as a witness, but they kept pushing the case for weird reasons. I lost many, many thousands of dollars in business going to court. Eventually, it was tried. They were going to give her a small ticket and then they say, oh.....is the witness here? I raise my hand and they take me into a back room with the government Prostitutor and the defendant's attorney. She should have had her license taken away and not be allowed to drive kids, but they just upped the fine a bit. I am sure she is still blowing lights, speeding, and crossing the center line. The council lady will get a deal. No question.
Old 08-03-22, 08:13 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
The guy was lucky, that could have been much worse. She had no way of knowing that she didn't seriously injury or potentially kill someone when she decided to keep on driving. Not stopping because you are afraid of being mugged is laughable and frankly shameful
He bounced right up. He wasn't hurt.

The victim 100% absolutely should have stopped and called 911.

So shouldn't the cyclist who blew the light.
Old 08-03-22, 09:10 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26394 Post(s)
Liked 10,367 Times in 7,198 Posts

I witnessed an egregious traffic violation by a school bus driver who totalled a kids car and he was hurt. No charges. I went to court three times as a witness, but they kept pushing the case for weird reasons. I lost many, many thousands of dollars in business going to court. Eventually, it was tried. They were going to give her a small ticket and then they say, oh.....is the witness here? I raise my hand and they take me into a back room with the government Prostitutor and the defendant's attorney. She should have had her license taken away and not be allowed to drive kids, but they just upped the fine a bit. I am sure she is still blowing lights, speeding, and crossing the center line. The council lady will get a deal. No question.
....IKR ? All the school bus drivers here are people of great influence. Here, most of them only work part time. It's a job with huge social standing.
Old 08-03-22, 09:13 AM
LarrySellerz

So shouldn't the cyclist who blew the light.
I "bounced right up" when I broke my neck and had to get myself out of the ocean with waves crashing around me, straight up almost died. The dude sat down and was trying to recuperate after getting hit. He could be seriously hurt but was able to get himself out of the street. That car was being negligent, should have been paying attention. Who cares that the cyclist ran the red, he obviously made a mistake but thats not the point. You have the audacity to cal her the victim? lol.

There could be a whole other thread on how to run red lights and all the ways this guy messed up but it would be besides the point. Thats a textbook hit and run, worse than a car vs car hit and run. Dude could have been killed
Old 08-03-22, 09:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

People should take another look at the NJ law if they think that she didn't need to stop if he wasn't injured. It's also hit and run if any property is damaged, and that bike is clearly totaled.
Old 08-03-22, 09:21 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Stalker alert...

I don't understand how this became such a controversial topic....
....But as for all the bickering and splitting of hairs....I don't get it. The only answer that seems to make sense is that people are arguing with other people that they have a history with from other threads and want to continue attacking....I guess...
...sez the guy who just posted in teh P+R for the first time in over a year.
Old 08-03-22, 09:23 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
There are so many legally prescribed drugs out there that alter your driving abilities along with street drugs. I've seen commercial drivers quit their jobs instead of take a random test so they could protect their license. Not saying it is what happened, but six hours can clean a test up quite a bit.
Old 08-03-22, 09:26 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

So shouldn't the cyclist who blew the light ?
...let me make certain I understand this post, please. You are now calling the driver of the car "the victim" ? Do I have that right ? I had honestly forgotten how strangely some of these A+S topics get twisted into knots.
Old 08-03-22, 09:29 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
You don't know that. I stood right up after that texting cop hit me, but I still needed physical therapy for soft tissue damage. At the time of the collision, the adrenaline greatly dulled the pain, so I had no way of knowing the full extent of my injuries.

Furthermore, NJ's hit-and-run statute merely increases the existing penalties for not stopping when there is physical injury. You're still on the hook if there is only property damage. No reasonable person would think there wasn't property damage after plowing through a bicycle at that speed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.