Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Old 01-09-23, 08:14 AM
Joe F

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX-7 29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 14 Posts
Turned 65 in August. Still tearing it up pretty good out on the trails. My wife thinks I'm going to die out there eventually. I'm good with that. Hoping it's another 20+ years out though!
Likes For Joe F:
Old 01-17-23, 11:37 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
Some winter days locally are so nice, you can see the light and the joy of getting out on a bike. 60* last Saturday. 50* and dry yesterday.

The winter triple means enjoying the hills at a slightly lower exertion level.

But it's damp & wet a lot, so I rotate bikes on the trainer. Views are the same.
One positive thing about indoor riding, you sure can work out the little niggles to find a perfect position. Or (for me), those little tweeks necessitated by an ungracefully aging body.

Reposition the brake levers, saddle tilt and/or height, etc.

Last edited by Wildwood; 01-17-23 at 12:04 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 01-19-23, 08:11 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Technically arrived to this thread in November 2022 after turning 65. But I forgot how the internet works after 65.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 01-20-23, 03:34 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Like a summer day here only colder...
Old 03-03-23, 07:10 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
Just ordered one of these from my LBS. Had been thinking about it for awhile, but now that I've just been diagnosed with a melanoma that went unnoticed for two months, I'm becoming more aware of my longevity. Next week I'm having a PET scan and the following week surgery and lymph node biopsy to see how far along this thing has progressed. I will have to wait six weeks after surgery to ride it, but at least it should be nice and warm by then.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 03-04-23, 06:11 AM
Jtmav

Bikes: Trek Domane al5

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 35 Posts
Sorry to hear of your diagnosis but hopefully they can deal with this. I am at Dana Farber in Boston every week helping out and they are having great success with Melanoma treatment. At 71 myself one can’t help but think about what ever we have left in the tank. Beautiful bike and I’ll pray you get a lot of rides in the future.
Hang in there.
Likes For Jtmav:
Old 03-04-23, 08:34 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by Jtmav
Sorry to hear of your diagnosis but hopefully they can deal with this. I am at Dana Farber in Boston every week helping out and they are having great success with Melanoma treatment. At 71 myself one can’t help but think about what ever we have left in the tank. Beautiful bike and I’ll pray you get a lot of rides in the future.
Hang in there.
Thank you so much.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 03-04-23, 02:47 PM
05 fuji
Cancer survivor (twice)

Bikes: 2020 Trek Verve 2

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 74 Posts
Those PET scans are amazing for locating even the smallest traces. Good luck and keep pedaling. I am recovering from surgery for damage from radiation. Hope to be riding by May. Enjoy that bike!
Likes For 05 fuji:
Old 03-06-23, 12:32 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Well, wadayaknow. The bike shop just called to say that the bike I ordered is not available, and there is no eta. The factory doesn't even have a production date for my size, plus Shimano is way behind in their supply, so the soonest would be this fall, but maybe not until next year if ever. Damned supply chain !

Originally Posted by Dcv

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 03-06-23 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-06-23, 05:05 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

So, I went back to the bike shop and spoke with the head honcho, and after much discussion I have decided to buy this bike instead.

It's the same price and specs as the Cervelo, but a bit lighter. The only thing I don't like about it is that the bar and stem are one piece, so I can't rotate the bar to adjust it's position. Also, both the bar and stem are flat on top, so attaching accessories like a bike computer will be a challenge.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 03-06-23, 07:31 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts
I now qualify:

Likes For flangehead:
Old 03-07-23, 06:17 AM
Jtmav

Bikes: Trek Domane al5

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 35 Posts
[QUOTE=TejanoTrackie;22821330]So, I went back to the bike shop and spoke with the head honcho, and after much discussion I have decided to buy this bike instead.

It's the same price and specs as the Cervelo, but a bit lighter. The only thing I don't like about it is that the bar and stem are one piece, so I can't rotate the bar to adjust it's position. Also, both the bar and stem are flat on top, so attaching accessories like a bike computer will be a challenge.

[/QUOTE
i started riding during the pandemic when gyms closed and I had an old hybrid bike that got me back in the saddle so to speak. Bikes were hard to come by back then but I was able to get a Trek Domane 5 from my LBS. I love the bike and it’s been a pleasure to ride. Now I’m 71 and my typical ride is 25-30 miles a few times a week. One thing I did was have a professional bike fit and found that to be important to the comfort of the bike and rides. I have a computer mounted as well as lights without issues. I hope you enjoy the bike.
Old 03-07-23, 10:28 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
So if you need a shorter or longer stem.....you are out of luck? Or do they stock bar/stem options? Do they also offer options if you need/want a wider or narrower bar? Looks like a very nice bike...but ONLY if it fits.
Likes For smoore:
Old 03-08-23, 10:14 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by smoore
So if you need a shorter or longer stem.....you are out of luck? Or do they stock bar/stem options? Do they also offer options if you need/want a wider or narrower bar? Looks like a very nice bike...but ONLY if it fits.
Yes, the combo bar/stem comes in a variety of stem length / bar widths, and it is sized based on the frame size. So, I'm getting the smallest 47cm frame size (seat tube length), and the bar/stem has a 8cm long stem and a 38cm wide bar, which is exactly what fits me. Also, I chose my frame size based on the top tube length rather than the seat tube length. The largest 62cm frame has a 11cm long stem and a 44cm wide bar. However, if this had not worked for me, then my shop was willing to swap it out with a conventional separate bar and stem setup. This would be the case for anyone with unusual proportions, such as very short legs and very long torso.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 03-08-23, 11:08 AM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
As a guy who rides a 48cm frame, with a 27" inseam and short legs and torso at 5'4"....I'm happy to hear you have options. There are not that many guys who are short these days and our options are slim. Good luck!!!
Old 03-13-23, 04:19 PM
McBTC

Riding duds...
Weather here in SoCal has been good enough such that, a bit laundry was needed...
Old 03-17-23, 05:53 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Picked up my new bike today, and she's a beauty. The weight is 17.2 lbs as shown with two water bottle cages and a Garmin Edge 830 bike computer. I did replace the stock 700x25c tubed tires with 700x28c tubeless tires to improve the ride. The bike computer includes a heart rate monitor, which is very important to me, since I'm prone to bouts of tachycardia. It also can be paired with my bike's wireless electronic shifter system, so I can change the screen on the computer by pressing buttons on the top of the shifter hoods. Also, I have bad arthritic hand pain, such that using mechanical shifters is painful. Will ride it tomorrow to get my saddle position dialed in.

Trek Émonda SLR 7

Originally Posted by Dcv

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 03-28-23 at 07:04 PM.
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 03-18-23, 01:49 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
So, .... Also, both the bar and stem are flat on top, so attaching accessories like a bike computer will be a challenge.

Clear your handlebars and your mind will follow

...at our age one can afford to be free

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-18-23 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-18-23, 04:14 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Out today on an ebike, yesterday was a <~1/2hp motored pedal bike, tomorrow the ski slopes (with son). Life is good.

my question unanswered in 2 consecutive days of cycle deliberations: If those of us with 7 decades (and extra years, too) behind us = Why aren't we octogenarians? Same in years, 72 completed makes me feel 73 the next day.
Who can say? Reject inconvenient convention.

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-18-23 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-27-23, 12:00 PM
letank

Bikes: Specialized Allez (over 15K), Soma Saga (new used addition)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Been out for a few rides... but brrrrr.... layers to start and shedding as the ride progresses... but still experimenting with head cover... never seems to be right, too hot and sweaty or too cold... yes 48F in SF.

I have a shell cover for for the helmet, and some crazy head cover with ears... but probably need a thinner layer

I have this one, good for the first 4k (cannot upload) so here are the keywords: Hikenture skull cap helmet liner with glasses holes.

Michel
Old 03-29-23, 07:14 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Had my post-op visit today for my melanoma surgery and the lymph node biopsies were negative. This combined with a negative PET scan means that I am now cured. The PET scan did detect a nodule on my thyroid gland which needs to be biopsied to be sure it's not cancerous, but most of the time these things are benign and 50% of people over 60 have them. They also removed an annoying surgical drain in my armpit at the site of the lymph node removal and the arm is healing nicely at the melanoma site, so the surgeon said I can resume all normal activities including cycling in just one more week. Can't wait to get in some miles on my new steed !

I also found out that I can view my front and rear gear positions on my Garmin as well as the status of all the Di2 batteries. This new fangled tech stuff is simply insane.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 03-29-23, 10:16 PM
Ken2

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Head cover

Originally Posted by letank
Been out for a few rides... but brrrrr.... layers to start and shedding as the ride progresses... but still experimenting with head cover... never seems to be right, too hot and sweaty or too cold... yes 48F in SF.

I have a shell cover for for the helmet, and some crazy head cover with ears... but probably need a thinner layer

I have this one, good for the first 4k (cannot upload) so here are the keywords: Hikenture skull cap helmet liner with glasses holes.

Michel
Sounds like belt + suspenders. I'm in San Antonio so by no means a cold weather rider, but for 48deg weather I wear an earband with helmet (no helmet cover, no cap). Layers are good for torso, not needed IMO for your head.
Likes For Ken2:
Old 04-03-23, 01:07 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by Ken2
Sounds like belt + suspenders. I'm in San Antonio so by no means a cold weather rider, but for 48deg weather I wear an earband with helmet (no helmet cover, no cap). Layers are good for torso, not needed IMO for your head.
​​​​​​
Got in January and works well for me, e.g. below 60° but still into 50s...
Old 04-03-23, 01:37 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3337 Post(s)
Liked 3,436 Times in 1,737 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken2
I wear this thin merino beanie made by Ibex.

It's very comfortable and light, fits easily under a helmet, and it keeps my head and ears comfortable down into the 40s. It's particularly comfy on long, fast descents.

Old 04-03-23, 04:42 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Glad my name isn't Wildwood Specialized or Wildwood Trek - I would have millions to buy.
Latest - in a nearly perfect fit. Just arrived and I hung a few bits for proportion. 60X57 w/ 19cm HT. Will need a longer stem.

First one I found that fit (smallish @58cm), a number of years ago. Also was a stripped frameset.

These are Holdsworth manufactured framesets, re-branded as Irish Harding bikes. 1972 (top) & 1982.

Last edited by Wildwood; 04-03-23 at 08:14 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.