Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I rode somewhere on my bike!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-23, 03:45 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts

This may not seem too remarkable, but I've been riding a bit more than five years, and every ride before today has ended at the same place it started. I'm riding for exercise, and never have used the bike for transportation. Today I rode over to the house of one of my sons who lives a few miles away. (I've always driven there in the past because I go with my wife, but today it was just me.) I actually used the bike to take me somewhere!

How many of you other old timers just ride for exercise, like I do? How many of you actually use your bike(s) for transportation?

In my younger days I only used a bike for transportation. The last time I did so was when I was 27 and used a 10 speed to commute to work. But then I moved within walking distance of my work and didn't ride a bike again for 40 years, when I started riding for exercise. Until today, for the last five years the bike has just taken me back to where I started.
Likes For Random11:
Old 01-28-23, 04:59 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,463 Times in 1,130 Posts
This one is used almost exclusively for shopping and to the post office. I live in a rural area where we pick up our mail at the post office, so it is ridden frequently.

I also ride it to the local trailheads when I feel more like hiking than riding.
Brent

Likes For obrentharris:
Old 01-28-23, 05:25 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10151 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Nice PX10!

Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 01-28-23, 06:28 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Does riding a bike to the brewery count as using it for exercise?

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 01-28-23, 07:41 PM
Random11

Originally Posted by Chuck M
Does riding a bike to the brewery count as using it for exercise?
You're using it to actually go somewhere. I should do that more than once every five years... and you've given me a good idea about where I should go!
Old 01-28-23, 07:54 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Random11 It IS remarkable. The further north of 50 you go, the more remarkable each adventure or accomplishment is.

You said that you started riding again 5 years ago for fitness after a 40 year break. How many people fail to stick with their fitness plan for even a month?

And now you expanded beyond your routine and rode for transportation, and I assume also for the joy of riding.

We can't know everyone's circumstances,but if it was remarkable for you, that's good enough for me!

So well, done! Don't let anyone steal your bliss. Ride your ride and enjoy it!

I for one look forward to reading about your further adventures.

go, Go, GO!
Old 01-28-23, 08:26 PM
Random11

Originally Posted by BobbyG
You said that you started riding again 5 years ago for fitness after a 40 year break. How many people fail to stick with their fitness plan for even a month?
Thanks for the comments, Bobby. While I took a 40 year break from cycling, I was a runner for more than half a century, until knee problems forced me to quit. So I had a regular fitness routine the whole time. I bought a bike when I had to give up running. I'm enjoying the cycling, but do miss being a runner.

In my youth, while I enjoyed riding, I never just got on a bike for enjoyment. It was always to get somewhere. Now, I never (except today) ride a bike to get somewhere. I enjoy riding, but my motivation for getting on the bike is fitness. It's replaced my running.

As for sticking with it, I'm pretty sure that if I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't do it. I've heard people say (mostly about running) that they don't enjoy it, but are doing it because they think it's good for them. I don't think I have that kind of motivation.
Likes For Random11:
Old 01-29-23, 07:40 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts

Just returned with groceries.
Old 01-29-23, 08:10 AM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
This may not seem too remarkable, but I've been riding a bit more than five years, and every ride before today has ended at the same place it started. I'm riding for exercise, and never have used the bike for transportation. Today I rode over to the house of one of my sons who lives a few miles away. (I've always driven there in the past because I go with my wife, but today it was just me.) I actually used the bike to take me somewhere!

How many of you other old timers just ride for exercise, like I do? How many of you actually use your bike(s) for transportation?

In my younger days I only used a bike for transportation. The last time I did so was when I was 27 and used a 10 speed to commute to work. But then I moved within walking distance of my work and didn't ride a bike again for 40 years, when I started riding for exercise. Until today, for the last five years the bike has just taken me back to where I started.
For me, using a bike for transportation is what I prefer. It could be to run errands or just explore. Either way, it focused the effort more on going somewhere than just exercise. Exercise becomes a fringe benefit. Carry on!!
Likes For Chuck Naill:
Old 01-29-23, 08:14 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Most of my riding now is for exercise. When I was younger (as in back in the 70s younger) I rode my bike back and forth to work - as an auto technician - during the days of the gas crisis. 8 miles each way, and my boss made sure I had a secure place to store my bike during the day. I ended up fixing up some old bikes for some of the other techs who lived less that 2 miles away, and soon half the shop was commuting by bicycle to work on people's cars. The owner took a picture of the shop crew and our bicycles, and ran an ad in the newspaper that read something like "Our technicians know there's only one way to get better mileage than a tune up at XYZ"
Old 01-29-23, 10:15 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 851 Times in 445 Posts
(58 years old) ...Occasionally I'll ride to the PO on Saturdays. And I ride to a campground a couple times a year. I really should do more errands on my bike.
Old 01-29-23, 10:27 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
It's exercise whether you intend it to be or not. When I started cycling to work, I had lost 10 lbs in a year.

Nowadays I take my bike to the gym, hardware store, groceries or for an 38km ride roundtrip downtown to have a coffee.

And then on my non-gym (rest) days, I ride around anywhere for the hell of it.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 01-29-23, 03:02 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
I ride for fun. I just came back from a 45 minute off road ride. Glad to be alive but I sure would like to feel 20 yrs younger. At 67 I’m starting to feel like a character actor in a western. Thinking of getting a step through frame.
Old 01-29-23, 03:49 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3414 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,783 Posts
Try what I call “UPS touring”:

You fill a box with a change of clothing and toiletries, UPS ship to a hotel, bike to the hotel, spend the night (or multiple nights), UPS ship the box home, ride home.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 01-29-23, 04:34 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
These days I do mtb rides from home and back most often. Sometimes I use the bike to go mushroom hunting. I used to go on tours more often. I have done quite a few longish self supported tours. Most of them have been one way. A couple have been coast to coast. In the process of a tour there are lots of little rides to get groceries and what not.
Old 01-29-23, 05:34 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
I probably do as much transportation cycling as purely recreational. I do a lot of grocery shopping by bike, and I either walk or bike to the YMCA 3 times per week.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-29-23, 06:01 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 504 Times in 320 Posts
Whatever gets you out the door. And starting from your house is a lot better than driving somewhere to start. I guess I'm lucky that way. But that's the what I prefer.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 01-29-23, 06:17 PM
Random11

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Try what I call “UPS touring”:

You fill a box with a change of clothing and toiletries, UPS ship to a hotel, bike to the hotel, spend the night (or multiple nights), UPS ship the box home, ride home.
This is an interesting idea! I'd need to figure out where I could ride that would both be a desirable destination and have a safe way to ride there. Regrettably, there aren't many long rides in my area that seem safe from cars. Don't mean to put a damper of the thread, but last year, a neighbor of mine was cyling down to the coast, his wife driving down to meet him, and he was hit and killed by an SUV. Your idea is something to consider, if I could find a good route and destination.
Old 01-29-23, 06:30 PM
Random11

Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
... And starting from your house is a lot better than driving somewhere to start...
I'm with you on that, Joe. I live in a large suburban neighborhood and almost all my riding leaves from my house and is on those neighborhood streets. I have other things I'd rather do with my time than drive my bike somewhere so I can ride it. It limits where I ride, though, because leaving the neighborhood means riding on heavily trafficked roads and I'm reluctant to mix it up with drivers who are inattentive, and sometimes even hostile toward the idea of sharing the road with cyclists. I do give in from time to time (maybe once a month) and drive my bike somewhere to ride it.
Old 01-29-23, 07:10 PM
PaulH

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
I'm a transportation biker and don't use bikes for anything else. I ride because car parking is scarce and inconvenient here in the DC area. Back in grad school, I decided that bikes were practical everyday transportation and that cars were for fun and recreation. In addition to being able to find a parking spot, the ability to use studded snow tires is a huge advantage in winter.
Old 01-29-23, 10:40 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 896 Times in 440 Posts
I love running errands in the ridable parts of town on my bike. I can't think of anywhere within riding distance that I'd prefer to my own home for a stay, however.

Lots of long-distance backpackers do something similar to "UPS touring", picking up supplies they've sent themselves in advance.
Old 01-30-23, 11:52 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
I mostly use the car. Primarily due to old injuries making cycling hard and often quite painful. But, I do ride for reasons of general exercise and occasionally for getting from point A to B.

One thing I've found, in 50+ years of biking, is that little jaunts for whatever reason often turn into longer trips ... if the inkling to ride becomes habitual. A little ride to feel good ... to enjoy the morning ... to get to the grocery and back ... whatever. Then another one later in the week, perhaps just because. Then turning shorter rides into somewhat longer ones. Then, joining up with a buddy to simply explore that trail or the other side of town. Great way to see the place where one lives, instead of zipping by inside a vehicle. Good for exercise, peace of mind. Good for simple transportation, assuming the roads/paths near one's home allow for that.

Which reminds me: it's high time for giving the ride the once-over, ahead of spring cycling. Weather's going to be turning, in another 6-8 weeks. Yaaayaaaaaaa!

Last edited by Clyde1820; 01-31-23 at 09:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-30-23, 02:08 PM
Senathon

Bikes: Posiden X for Practice, Need one for road and light gravel

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I came out yesterday and found I had a flat tire and took my bike to work. I actually made better time on my bike than my Jeep because there was no one in the bike lane!

BTW, the parts of the bike line I took is exempt from Stop signs and traffic lights.
Old 01-31-23, 02:01 AM
exercion

Bikes: Cannondales: Synapse 5 Carbon and F5

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 34 Posts
Awesome job Randomn11! I ride for exercise, fun, and to go places. I'm fortunate to live in a state with a ton of rail trails, some quite long, such as the Great Allegheny Passage. I enjoy traveling on them, as well as on the roads. Nice thing about the r2t's is the lack of vehicle traffic in general. Even if it's just an out and back trip, they make for nice rides.

Eric

Heading to Pittsburgh.
Old 01-31-23, 09:39 PM
Random11

Originally Posted by exercion
... Nice thing about the r2t's is the lack of vehicle traffic in general. Even if it's just an out and back trip, they make for nice rides.
I agree, Eric. There's a nice r2t that's about a half hour drive from my house. But that hour of driving to get there and back is enough to discourage me from going too often. I'm too timid to ride my bike on the roads I'd have to navigate to cycle to the trail, so almost all my riding is on the suburban streets within my (rather large) neighborhood.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.