Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10 - from touring to commuting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-23, 01:01 PM
smin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I've had this bike (a 2008 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10) for going on 15 years now. I love it, but after several long tours it had kind of lost its place in the stable, and I wanted to update it.
I was looking for something that would replace my 3 speed road bike commuter (https://imgur.com/a/yYhz1g4) which I've used for the past 8 or so years to commute to my office job.

The Sherpa is an absolute tank. Reynolds 853 tubes, room for 29x2s. I used it on a few tours through the years, and was my primary commuter back in 2009-2014 or so. Over the year it lived its first iteration of more like a road tourer that went from Finland all the way down to Montenegro.

A few years later it handled the gravel roads of central asia without missing a beat.

It finished that trip home with a stopover in europe and rode the route des grandes alpes too.

Now I don't have any long distance tours planned, when I do get out it's weekends in the rockies, and i've got a soma wolverine for those duties.
The needs/wants I had to make this a commuter were hydro discs and an IGH for winter riding (so I could use a hebie chainglider, those things rule if you're in a grimy winter climate). The sherpa 30 of that year was complete with a disc brake tab in the rear so I knew the frame was up to it - the 10 however didn't have that option - so that was my first order of business. It took me the better part of a year to muster up the courage and practice to take the torch to the bike, but it went together reasonably well and looks pretty solid (if a little janky). I did destructive testing on a couple practice welds and didn't have any failures even after reefing on them in the vice so I'm comfortable. Still not complete though - next step is a brace between the chainstay and seatstay and then repaint where required.

With the disc brake, I needed to solve the vertical dropout problem. I used the First components EBB (https://www.firstcomponents.com/bott...entric/p237sa/). This thing is great - it works with hollowtech or GXP cranksets and I've got 0 dramas with chain tension, way more adjustability that I even need. I threw on a cheap alfine crankset and a steel surly chainring for longetivity, scavenged a Kona Rove P2 fork (aluminum, still casually looking for a steel fork to come up, but this does it for now), TRP Hylex SS hydraulic brakes, and picked up a microshift alfine shifter.
The Alfine is the early 8 speed (SG500) that I picked up for the local coop and built it into another coop wheel. ripped it apart and it looks mint.
It still needs a rack that fits around the disc brakes, but this is where I stand currently. Just waiting to put the summer tires on.

Full album here: (be nice on my janky brazing)
https://imgur.com/a/F0Z0NIq
Likes For smin:
Old 03-29-23, 02:38 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Beautiful bike. The Sherpa is one of those frames that just does it right.
Likes For Clyde1820: