Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

First century, how many riders finish at the cut off time?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-11, 10:38 PM
tabriz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, A few months ago I wrote about getting ready for my first century, in Moab. Well, it is almost here, the 16th. I think I'll be able to finish, but I expect I will be the very last rider. How much company can I expect to have? Those of you who have ridden a century before, how many riders come in at 10 hours? Are there usually just one or two or will there be more?

Tabriz
Old 09-06-11, 11:44 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Depends on your average for say a 50 mile ride. If you are 13mph or above then the 10 hours will be beat easily. Organised rides will add 1 or 2mph average for the first half of the ride as you get dragged on by the riders around you- but make certain that YOU do not lead the group very often as this is your first century. Remember about the BONK point that will come about if you push too hard or do not eat and drink enough on the ride. Time for this is 70miles onwards so prepare for it.

Other than refill of bottles or aquiring food- I stop at 65- take a full bottle- eat something a bit more substantial and stretch. Only a few minutes rest and then off again

Good luck and take the camera.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-07-11, 06:30 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
For most cyclists, a century should take no more than 8-8:30, including stops. On most century rides that I do, all riders are in well before the cut-off time. Start at the beginning, not the end, of the start window and only take a few <20 minute breaks. You're not moving down the road if you're sitting under a tree.
Old 09-07-11, 06:59 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
These are very general questions about a specific event. There are no absolute standards. I once did a century ride where I was the last finisher at 8-1/2 hours. I have done another where many riders came in around 10 hours. Some century rides are promoted and staffed to support first time century riders. Others give very little support for beyond 8 hours. I take it the ride you are doing has a 10 hour cutoff? That would be longer than most rides I have seen and may indicate a willingness to support slower riders.

If you really think you will be among the last finishers, be prepared to need to stop at stores to get water and food as you may find that the rest stops are closed when you arrive. Your first century is not a time when you want to see how far you can go without water.

The best people to answer your questions would be the organizers of the ride and other people who have done this ride in the past. I would shoot an email to the ride director.
Old 09-07-11, 07:15 AM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At the back end of the century wagon riders get strung out. You may feel like you're the only person on the road at the time but most likely there are many riders around you though you might not be riding directly with them. One year on the Assault on Mt Mitchell I bonked quite badly. At mile 96 Elvis had left the building and the next 22 miles took me over 3.5 hours to complete. I was sure I was the last rider on the road but when I checked out the results there were many riders that finished after me and around my time. I don't remember seeing anyone! Stay to your plan, ride your pace and you will finish. Hopefully the ride organizers are prepared for riders late in the day. To be honest I have so much respect for those riders that finish late in the day. I may wonder how some people can ride a 4.5 hour century but I know how someone finishes a 10 hour century. They persist. Have a great ride!
Old 09-07-11, 07:30 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Try to find someone to talk to and ride with, at least for a while. The ride is better for me if I have someone to whine to.
Old 09-07-11, 09:36 AM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
...Start at the beginning, not the end, of the start window...
This! When you begin at the start of the depart window, you will see people all day long. Just don't try to keep up with those fast rollers who pass you. You may even consider taking off 1/2 half hour before the official start window. Another advantage is that the rest stops will be well stocked with food. Toward the end, they run out of stuff, or even close. And...if you are unfamiliar with the route, there will always be someone in sight that can act as a guide so you know where to turn.
Old 09-07-11, 09:39 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
For most cyclists, a century should take no more than 8-8:30, including stops. On most century rides that I do, all riders are in well before the cut-off time. Start at the beginning, not the end, of the start window and only take a few <20 minute breaks. You're not moving down the road if you're sitting under a tree.
+1 for that. I ride solo and my strategy is to start as early as possible, easy for me as an early morning riser. That way I have a full choice of pacelines that pass by and if I find one compatible with my own pace, I'll ask if I can join; and I'm always happy to lead one too.

Nonetheless, the prime rule for a Century for me is that I must ride at my own pace, and join or abandon other riders as necessary; and I make that clear if I join with someone else.
Old 09-07-11, 09:43 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
This! When you begin at the start of the depart window, you will see people all day long. Just don't try to keep up with those fast rollers who pass you. You may even consider taking off 1/2 half hour before the official start window. Another advantage is that the rest stops will be well stocked with food. Toward the end, they run out of stuff, or even close. And...if you are unfamiliar with the route, there will always be someone in sight that can act as a guide so you know where to turn.
These are also good reasons to start early, but my favorite Century, which has a massed, staggered start, always warns not to depend entirely on the riders ahead of you because they can miss directions too.
Old 09-07-11, 09:59 AM
El Gigante

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads Elite, Specialized Trcross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tabriz
Hi, A few months ago I wrote about getting ready for my first century, in Moab. Well, it is almost here, the 16th. I think I'll be able to finish, but I expect I will be the very last rider. How much company can I expect to have? Those of you who have ridden a century before, how many riders come in at 10 hours? Are there usually just one or two or will there be more?

Tabriz
A lot of variables factor into a century, and its hard to make generalities - wind, elevation gain, traffic can all factor in to your average speed. Like many folks on this thread have said, its best to start at the beginning, not end of the start window, and make sure to take full advantage of rest stops, (but don't linger too long). The hardest part of the ride will be the last 20, so make sure you've saved some gas in the tank and you'll do fine.
Old 09-07-11, 10:09 AM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by El Gigante
A lot of variables factor into a century, and its hard to make generalities - wind, elevation gain, traffic can all factor in to your average speed. Like many folks on this thread have said, its best to start at the beginning, not end of the start window, and make sure to take full advantage of rest stops, (but don't linger too long). The hardest part of the ride will be the last 20, so make sure you've saved some gas in the tank and you'll do fine.
+1

A lot of people spend 15-20 minutes at each stop. I try to spend as little time as possible at intermediate stops and allow about 30 minutes for the main lunch stop. Time off the bike adds up quickly.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 09-07-11, 01:23 PM
nmichell

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Starting early

The one century I rode in Santa Fe had a "suggested" start time of 7am. I left at 5:30am, and I'm glad I did 'cause it was HOT that day. Of course, I had faster riders passing me all day long, but I was not the last one to finish
Old 09-07-11, 06:52 PM
tabriz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
You are allowed to start before the official start window???

Tabriz
Old 09-07-11, 08:03 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Try to find someone to talk to and ride with, at least for a while. The ride is better for me if I have someone to whine to.
+1
Old 09-07-11, 08:18 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by nmichell
The one century I rode in Santa Fe had a "suggested" start time of 7am. I left at 5:30am, and I'm glad I did 'cause it was HOT that day. Of course, I had faster riders passing me all day long, but I was not the last one to finish
A whole bunch of us started the Santa Fe Century about 5:30 am in 2000.
Old 09-07-11, 08:30 PM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
tabriz, I just don't stop for very long, ten minutes max at any rest stop, I just seem to lose my rhythm if I stop much longer than that. Also don't eat or drink too much at the rest stops, just enough to refresh yourself.

Generally I think my first century was better than I'd imagined, I was pretty nervous beforehand, had no mechanical issues and my butt and neck were a little tender the next day from 9+ hours including rest stops.

Have fun.

Brad
Old 09-09-11, 11:00 AM
nmichell

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
A whole bunch of us started the Santa Fe Century about 5:30 am in 2000.
As I recall, when I rode it in 2005, I started early based on the advise in this forum. So, yeah, that was a good idea. Thanks
Old 09-09-11, 03:56 PM
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
It really depends on the elevation gain for me. My first century was about 4500 ft. as I recall but they were mostly easy climbs with a few killers in there. The other thing is the wind. If you are fighting the wind especially on the way in or up grade it will work you over. The best thing I can tell you is not to worry about it. I know for a fact that most first timers are surprised how well they did. Of course if you did no preparation you can't expect to do well, but that's not the case with you. Good luck and don't worry.