Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

FS: 1950 Raleigh Superbe, 1951 + 52 Raleigh Sports, 1980 Sports

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-22, 11:34 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts

You know, sometimes you wake up in the morning and say "why do I have so many bikes?" Then you promptly call the doctor and get back into bed.

But sometimes you follow through from your slumber, and - in a fit of troubling sanity - you engage in sacrilegious mathematics such as N = N - 1 and utter words of delirium such as "I should think of my finances."

As such, I have decided to put up for offer my humble collection of Raleigh Sports. As you know, these are the best bicycle ever conceived to see the unworthy soles of our shoes. This collection includes a 1950 Raleigh Superbe, which can be only described as "green," my trusty 1951 Raleigh Sports built 16 years ago and subject of build threads long devoured into the mist by the forum servers of yore, and a 1952 Raleigh Sports, which...is just a better example of my 1951. Rounding out the fleet is the red-headed stepchild of the bunch, my 1980 Raleigh Sports, who has informed me in no uncertain terms, that it does not have any hair, and if it were so, it would definitely not be red. It also seeks vengeance upon me for having modernized it into such an unholy machine from it's God-fearing roots in New Hampshire with our patron saint of Schwinn, pastorbobnlnh.

Each of these fine machines are complete with lovely Brooks saddles, all well-broken in with the aromic effluence of many former meals, and each are also equipped with dual-leg Trygg kickstands that exist to remind us that when the apocalypse is upon us, only the Sweedish bikes will stay upright amongst the worldwide earthquakes caused by lesser bicycles plummeting to earth from their wobbly side stands.

This said, some work still remains on these piles of overweight British junk fine machines. For instance, both the '50 and '52 will require further work to complete both their lighting and braking systems. I have specifically chosen the most expensive cable housing possible for the '50 Superbe, of which I have run out of since. This will ensure the new owner will do their part to contribute to the Great Bicycling Economy. Meanwhile, the wiring for the lighting systems have been organized towards the most accurate definition of "rat's nest" possible to afford the new owner maximum opportunities to utilize their problem-solving skills whilst enjoying the Zen of home bicycle repair. Or grab your favorite wire cutter and rip them all to hell.

I'm asking a very reasonable $15,000 for all four bicycles. Western Union, Venmo, and all other non-traceable, non-recoverable forms of payment are gladly accepted. Don't worry about shipping. Heck, you don't even have to provide your address.

Those in the South Florida area may come to inspect the bikes before purchase but must present a PCR test indicating they are not suffering from the virus CAMPY-27, though the necessary frostbite is not generally experienced this far south, though we would be glad to provide the necessary wingnuts (not period correct).

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 04-01-22, 11:53 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,589 Times in 3,779 Posts
As these bikes are all much too large for me, I am very interested in buying them. Please send them COD to my Nigerian address that you have on file.

Last edited by cb400bill; 04-01-22 at 12:56 PM.
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 04-01-22, 11:56 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by cb400bill
As these bikes are all much too large for me, I am very interested in buying them. Please send them COD to my Nigerian address.that you have on file.
No CODs. We can do Western Screwnion.

-Kurt

Old 04-01-22, 12:24 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3807 Post(s)
Liked 6,676 Times in 2,607 Posts
Mr. @cudak888's offering motivates me to downsize similarly. Pictured are what I am ready to offer:

1974 Raleigh International, 1973 Raleigh Super Tourer, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sport, and a 1974 Raleigh SuperCourse MkII. These all can be yours for the low price of $66,666. Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I should say that I do not actually own these bikes any longer, but I do promise to track subsequent owners and provide pictures of their current status. Shipping included!
Likes For nlerner:
Old 04-01-22, 12:26 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by nlerner
Mr. @cudak888's offering motivates me to downsize similarly. Pictured are what I am ready to offer:

1974 Raleigh International, 1973 Raleigh Super Tourer, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sport, and a 1974 Raleigh SuperCourse MkII. These all can be yours for the low price of $66,666. Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I should say that I do not actually own these bikes any longer, but I do promise to track subsequent owners and provide pictures of their current status. Shipping included!
I would like to offer you $5,555 for the potential pictorial status of the Super Course Mk.II, but only for drive-side pictures. None of this left-hand nonsense.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 04-01-22, 12:31 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3807 Post(s)
Liked 6,676 Times in 2,607 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
I would like to offer you $5,555 for the potential pictorial status of the Super Course Mk.II, but only for drive-side pictures. None of this left-hand nonsense.

-Kurt
Sadly, that might involve expensive undersea imaging equipment and first-class travel to the Salton Sea. I'll need to get back to you.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 04-01-22, 03:35 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
I've got period wing nutz if anyone takes up Kurts' stellar offering.
Likes For clubman:
Old 04-01-22, 04:02 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by nlerner
Sadly, that might involve expensive undersea imaging equipment and first-class travel to the Salton Sea. I'll need to get back to you.
I'll ring McCartney and see if he's got back yet.

-Kurt

Old 04-01-22, 04:32 PM
niliraga 

Bikes: 1970s Coppi/Fiorelli beater, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Legnano Roma

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 129 Posts
I am keen to buy them all! Except my riding mower is still in the shop awaiting repairs, and I'm waiting on an estimated bill that I probably can't pay, so I'm actually unable to buy these.

Originally Posted by cudak888

You know, sometimes you wake up in the morning and say "why do I have so many bikes?" Then you promptly call the doctor and get back into bed.

But sometimes you follow through from your slumber, and - in a fit of troubling sanity - you engage in sacrilegious mathematics such as N = N - 1 and utter words of delirium such as "I should think of my finances."

As such, I have decided to put up for offer my humble collection of Raleigh Sports. As you know, these are the best bicycle ever conceived to see the unworthy soles of our shoes. This collection includes a 1950 Raleigh Superbe, which can be only described as "green," my trusty 1951 Raleigh Sports built 16 years ago and subject of build threads long devoured into the mist by the forum servers of yore, and a 1952 Raleigh Sports, which...is just a better example of my 1951. Rounding out the fleet is the red-headed stepchild of the bunch, my 1980 Raleigh Sports, who has informed me in no uncertain terms, that it does not have any hair, and if it were so, it would definitely not be red. It also seeks vengeance upon me for having modernized it into such an unholy machine from it's God-fearing roots in New Hampshire with our patron saint of Schwinn, pastorbobnlnh.

Each of these fine machines are complete with lovely Brooks saddles, all well-broken in with the aromic effluence of many former meals, and each are also equipped with dual-leg Trygg kickstands that exist to remind us that when the apocalypse is upon us, only the Sweedish bikes will stay upright amongst the worldwide earthquakes caused by lesser bicycles plummeting to earth from their wobbly side stands.

This said, some work still remains on these piles of overweight British junk fine machines. For instance, both the '50 and '52 will require further work to complete both their lighting and braking systems. I have specifically chosen the most expensive cable housing possible for the '50 Superbe, of which I have run out of since. This will ensure the new owner will do their part to contribute to the Great Bicycling Economy. Meanwhile, the wiring for the lighting systems have been organized towards the most accurate definition of "rat's nest" possible to afford the new owner maximum opportunities to utilize their problem-solving skills whilst enjoying the Zen of home bicycle repair. Or grab your favorite wire cutter and rip them all to hell.

I'm asking a very reasonable $15,000 for all four bicycles. Western Union, Venmo, and all other non-traceable, non-recoverable forms of payment are gladly accepted. Don't worry about shipping. Heck, you don't even have to provide your address.

Those in the South Florida area may come to inspect the bikes before purchase but must present a PCR test indicating they are not suffering from the virus CAMPY-27, though the necessary frostbite is not generally experienced this far south, though we would be glad to provide the necessary wingnuts (not period correct).

-Kurt
Likes For niliraga:
Old 04-01-22, 08:59 PM
cyclophilia 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 63 Posts
Sold!

I wish to purchase ALL the bicycles displayed in this thread.

Please bill to my credit card:

1234 5678 9012 3456
Likes For cyclophilia:
Old 04-02-22, 06:53 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts
Kurt, I cannot believe you will allow the 1980 Sports to slip from your hands for such a low and reasonable price! Especially now that it is in its fourth decade and living out retirement in sunny South Florida. How could you run the risk of subjecting your unknowing Brit to a stranger in some cruel, dark, cold, wet, and snowy land?

How did I miss your April Fools shenanigans on the Day you have immortalized so well over the course of your 17-year history on BF? Hah! Retirement! I'm barely online distracting myself from work anymore!

Well written and I'm glad to see how you pulled nlerner away from his academic responsibilities to compose his own tome!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 04-02-22, 09:05 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Kurt, I cannot believe you will allow the 1980 Sports to slip from your hands for such a low and reasonable price! Especially now that it is in its fourth decade and living out retirement in sunny South Florida. How could you run the risk of subjecting your unknowing Brit to a stranger in some cruel, dark, cold, wet, and snowy land?
@Ged117 said almost the same thing when he sold me the 1950 Superbe: "How could I run the risk of subjecting my unknowing Brit to a stranger in some cruel, sunny South Florida land when it's living out retirement in a dark, cold, wet, and snowy Toronto?"

How did I miss your April Fools shenanigans on the Day you have immortalized so well over the course of your 17-year history on BF? Hah!
Easy, you're not buying enough bike crap and don't visit this sub-forum enough!

Was it April Fools those many years ago that Colonel Hogan and Shultz showed up? I honestly can't remember if it was, or if it was some sort of BF Foo Day.

Retirement! I'm barely online distracting myself from work anymore!
Of course you can't stop working. Work, post-retirement, is defined as "Stockholm syndrome"

Well written and I'm glad to see how you pulled nlerner away from his academic responsibilities to compose his own tome!
Neal has academic responsibilities?

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 04-02-22, 06:59 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Loved this edition of BF CV 4/1 sales ads - keep the tradition going!
Likes For mountaindave: