Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

what do you think?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

what do you think?

Old 06-08-22, 11:50 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
what do you think?

I've been riding road and rail trails for a long time. Lately I've been watching a lot of single track and mtb videos and I find it quite appealing. Living in sw wi there is not a lot of single track available but there is some. Keep thinking about a hard tail and the likelihood of breaking a hip trying to learn a new style of riding at 71 with a bad back and crap knees. Crazy thinking?
Old 06-08-22, 12:05 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Only YOU can accurately judge your tolerance for risk.
Old 06-08-22, 04:34 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 1,057 Posts
single track can be a blast and my guess is you would enjoy

might depend on the areas where you can ride - start easy and progress from there

maybe start with a combination of dirt roads and some easy trails

areas you might want to limit or avoid - and / or push through :

> rocks - some scattered rocks might not be an issue - but extremely rocky areas / rock gardens can be a real challenge
> extreme climbs and descents
> extreme mud
> winter riding with frozen ground / snow / ice
> tree crossings - small trees not too much of an issue but larger trees can be a real challenge (dismount and lift / carry bike over)
> exposed roots - most times not much of an issue but larger roots can be a challenge especially when wet (and more-so if you cannot square up to them)
> extreme rutted sections can be a challenge

probably more I cannot think of at this time
Old 06-08-22, 06:43 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by rck
I've been riding road and rail trails for a long time. Lately I've been watching a lot of single track and mtb videos and I find it quite appealing. Living in sw wi there is not a lot of single track available but there is some. Keep thinking about a hard tail and the likelihood of breaking a hip trying to learn a new style of riding at 71 with a bad back and crap knees. Crazy thinking?
That would be crazy for me, but I have always been coordination-challenged. I love going offroad, but multitrack trails and dirt roads are more my speed.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 06-09-22, 04:18 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I have chronic spinal issues and love riding bikes. Personally, I would not even attempt to do that. But I have had 4 surgeries and have numerous discs that are not in very good shape. I do get sore knees with a lot of clicking and creaking, so I would not subject them to that abuse either. I have no idea what shape your body is in, but in reality, only you can decide. Anyone you could borrow a bike from to give the single track a try? If yes, I would try that on relatively low impact single track to see how you feel. Progress from there if all is good.
Old 06-09-22, 05:59 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 263 Posts
Ride within your handling abilities and you may be fine...always look down the trail to prepare for difficult sections, wet roots, baby heads, etc...if you wait until you are on top of them it is likely too late.
Old 06-09-22, 08:32 AM
rck

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for responses. I suspect borrowing one or finding a used bike may be the route I take. The single track available here is not too technical, so I'm thinking doable. On the other hand if I'm laying on the ground with a broken hip, my definition of technical may change.
Old 06-09-22, 08:44 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
The main skill to learn is maintaining momentum- a bicycle without a rider will coast through surprisingly rough terrain without any help, it is the rider who often interferes and causes the bike to stall and fall over. And unless you are doing high-speed downhills, the primary hazard is slow speed falls when you can't keep the bike rolling.
Old 06-09-22, 08:46 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
I didn't start crashing until I got a mountain bike. in my early 60s, so I think I can keep going a cpl more years. less crashing would be nice
Old 06-09-22, 08:56 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts
You would want to be riding single track that does not have an abundance of difficult technical features that require skill and stamina to ride. The Trail Forks app often shows a lot of the single track in a particular region and often times is color coded as to difficulty levels. Yellow and green tend to be easier (as I recall). I'm only a few years behind you, have been mt. biking 33 years, but have stopped riding trails with technical features as I no longer want to get hurt in a fall, takes a lot longer to heal and my wife is tired of dealing with an injured husband doing something stupid.

I pretty much do all my mt. biking in fall and early winter (before we get persistent snow cover), when road riding is too cold. We can mt. bike down to 15-20 degrees comfortably, not moving as quick (8-10 mph avg,) are not out as long, and less wind in wooded areas. I transition to mostly road in spring and summer to avoid ticks and poison ivy.

Last edited by Steve B.; 06-09-22 at 09:02 AM.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 06-09-22, 09:41 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 548 Posts
Anyone considering a mountain bike at 70+ is obviously in good shape but it would be a good idea to consider that old bones aren't young bones and if you look at the outcome for seniors who break hips it's shockingly bad. I know in my case, I used to ride motorcycles and gave it up after a serious crash. I've thought about mountain biking but have decided against it mainly due to the injuries that some friends have had.
Old 06-09-22, 09:07 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
If you need to drive to the trail, I say skip it. And if there is only one trail nearby, skip it.
Old 06-20-22, 09:13 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,578 Times in 2,895 Posts
I started mountain bike riding in my 50s after 30 years of road. I found it to be great fun and required a far amount of new skills. I liken road bike riding to cross country skiing where mountain bikes are like downhill skiing requiring your full attention, moving your weight and constantly thinking ahead.

If you ride within your comfort level and keep to ;beginner trails (blue) which are not technical, you should be fine. If you find a part of the trail which might make you uncomfortable, it is no crime to get off the bike and walk it over that section and then get back on again. I have done that many times and even more now that I am approaching 70.

I wouldn’t worry about breaking bones unless you have balance issues already.

Old 06-20-22, 01:26 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 244 Posts
Dumb dumb dumb idea. Go find a paved road with scenery.
10 years ago I had a little slide because of springtime sand on the street. I figured it would be ok to use the side of my knee to break the fall.
Wrong. It cracked the top of the leg bone. Didn't need a doctor but it was sore to touch for a month.
Old 06-20-22, 02:52 PM
big john

Quoted: 8253 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
I'm 68, been riding off road bicycles for 30+ years and off road motorcycles for 10 years before that. I think it's great fun and has the advantage of no cars. Also, wind and weather is much less a factor than on the road.

If you're going to try it, start easy and get used to the feeling of the bike moving around. You can't just ride like a road bike, you need to learn the techniques and practice. If you're riding dirt roads and smooth trails, any bike will work. If you want to do anything technical or ride with any speed, I recommend a full suspension bike.

A rear suspension is easier on your back, will track the ground better, and will save you from your mistakes. Also, the rear brake works better with suspension.
I have what is known as an "enduro" style bike. 160mm fork with 150mm rear travel. It's 32 pounds and a bit of a chore to climb long hills with, but it's so much fun to descend on. If I could just get a new bike now I would go for a shorter (120-130mm travel) lighter bike. I've tried to tone down the risk in the last couple years and I have no problem getting off and walking a section.

No form of bicycling is completely safe but my worst crash was on the road bike on a bike path.

Here is my KHS.
Old 06-20-22, 03:05 PM
big john

Mountain bike group rides are a blast!

We did a shuttle ride and the van took us up to 9200 feet and we rode back down. We brought lunch and took pictures and it was so fun.

I'm on the right and in the center is a friend who is 71 and she is an excellent mountain biker.
Old 06-20-22, 03:15 PM
big john

I used to go to Lake Tahoe but haven't been there in years. Awesome trails up there!
Old 06-21-22, 01:12 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
Here is my take on your situation. I started mountain biking at 61. I rode a lot of different trails crashed, got up, kept riding, and continued to push myself. I was also surfing so balance wasn’t an issue.

I can say that the amount of skills needed to do somewhat technical runs is off the charts. Even with decades of riding a road bike it is a completely different animal. The best I could get to was low intermediate. It is still a blast.

Mountain biking can be done at 71, but if you started 40 or 50 years earlier it will be a lot easier since you have established skills.

There are some similarities with surfing in that having decades behind me, I can still get out there at 70, but it might be different if I was just starting out at that age.

And like mountain biking there will be situations where you have to just go for it as being timid will only put you in a bad situation. That is the toughest part, putting the pedal down because hitting the brakes will only lead to injury.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 06-21-22 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-21-22, 05:02 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Originally Posted by big john
I'm 68, been riding off road bicycles for 30+ years and off road motorcycles for 10 years before that. I think it's great fun and has the advantage of no cars. Also, wind and weather is much less a factor than on the road.

If you're going to try it, start easy and get used to the feeling of the bike moving around. You can't just ride like a road bike, you need to learn the techniques and practice. If you're riding dirt roads and smooth trails, any bike will work. If you want to do anything technical or ride with any speed, I recommend a full suspension bike.

A rear suspension is easier on your back, will track the ground better, and will save you from your mistakes. Also, the rear brake works better with suspension.
I have what is known as an "enduro" style bike. 160mm fork with 150mm rear travel. It's 32 pounds and a bit of a chore to climb long hills with, but it's so much fun to descend on. If I could just get a new bike now I would go for a shorter (120-130mm travel) lighter bike. I've tried to tone down the risk in the last couple years and I have no problem getting off and walking a section.

No form of bicycling is completely safe but my worst crash was on the road bike on a bike path.

Here is my KHS.
sweet looking KHS ! and with 160 / 150 mm susp travel !

I can recall installing a 'long travel' kit on a Judy XC fork - to increase the travel to 80mm lol ... in the rear had 60-80 mm travel (?)

and this was living large - after forks with 60 mm of travel - and before this it was often just a rigid fork and a 2.2 Ritchey Z Max lol
Old 06-21-22, 05:32 PM
big john

Originally Posted by t2p
sweet looking KHS ! and with 160 / 150 mm susp travel !

I can recall installing a 'long travel' kit on a Judy XC fork - to increase the travel to 80mm lol ... in the rear had 60-80 mm travel (?)

and this was living large - after forks with 60 mm of travel - and before this it was often just a rigid fork and a 2.2 Ritchey Z Max lol
I had one of those Rock Shox forks with the little hole like a basketball where you put air into it. Later got a Manitou elastomer fork and I put a spring and damper kit in it.
I think it was 80mm and the Rock Shox fork was 63mm.

My first rear suspension bike was a 1998 K2 with a Girvin fork and Noleen shocks front and rear. Yes, the fork had a little shock and linkage on it. I put the older Manitou fork on it after the Noleen blew up. When the rear Noleen went bad I bought a custom air shock from Risse Racing. I had a lot of fun on that bike. The frame broke after 10 years.
Then I got my first KHS and rode it for 10 more years. It was 100mm on both ends but my LBS gave me a 130mm fork for it.
Old 06-21-22, 05:43 PM
t2p

good stuff !

this thread is motivating me to get back on the trails - if I lived near rck I would be tempted to hook up with him to find some good (and easy lol) single track !
Old 06-21-22, 06:09 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
RCK, No! No! No!

That’s all I have to say.
Old 06-22-22, 01:09 PM
rck

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Big John-Nice pics and makes the thought more appealing. Down side is there is no biking like that in sw wi. Closest single track is 30 miles away. It does seem somewhat counterproductive to drive in order to bike, not that I haven't done so before and will likely do once again.

jppe-I suspect that I will bow to your superior wisdom. One of those rare times that I will let my brain decide rather than my heart. I must be getting old!
Old 06-22-22, 04:05 PM
t2p

yikes - I don't know which is worse

no close single track (really ?)

or allowing brain rather than heart
Old 06-22-22, 04:08 PM
t2p

if you do decide to give it a try - and find something / somewhere to ride off road

maybe you can first find an inexpensive MTB - even something old / vintage / rigid ... just to give it a try

( and make sure the bike is sized properly - often a smaller size bike is recommended for off road use )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.