Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Finally grabbed a Schwinn Le Tour 1980 12 Speed

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-27-22, 07:27 AM
RidingAroundCT

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour 1988 12 Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

I've been slowly looking into grabbing a bike for a daily commuter/random bike. This bike was $125 which maybe on the higher side I'm not 110% sure but it is what it is!

Bike includes Sakae handles, Siguno crankset, Dia compe, Suntour, & Weinman Rims

The only issue is the front tire is flat and doesn't hold air.

I plan on getting it serviced and probably changing the wheels and get whatever else needs to be changed out.

Pictures are below

Likes For RidingAroundCT:
Old 06-27-22, 07:58 AM
kermie

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Cross 2.0 LE, 1993 Santana Vision, 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1993 Trek 930, 1985 Panasonic DX3000

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
That should be a fun project. Looks like several areas will need attention, but it will make you knowledgeable for future buys. Have fun, and keep us posted on your progress.
Old 06-27-22, 08:03 AM
RidingAroundCT

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks kermie! Definitely plan on learning more about the bike and taking care of it. looking forward to posting progress
Old 06-27-22, 08:04 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,330 Times in 1,564 Posts
Was this generation of LeTours closer to the weight of their competitors? I had an early LeTour, which was a nice bike for the late 70's, but in retrospect, the frame tubes were pretty chunky (i.e. the tubing had thick walls).

With some penetrating oil, new grease, etc., this LeTour should do quite nicely!

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 06-27-22, 09:05 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
Im thinking your new bike is closer to 1986 than '80 with the fade paint and the Suntour indexing.
Old 06-27-22, 09:21 AM
kermie

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Cross 2.0 LE, 1993 Santana Vision, 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1993 Trek 930, 1985 Panasonic DX3000

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Im thinking your new bike is closer to 1986 than '80 with the fade paint and the Suntour indexing.
Seeing the SunTour Accushift, leads me to agree, mid to late 1980's I think Accushift came out in 86 or 87....
Likes For kermie:
Old 06-27-22, 09:32 AM
RidingAroundCT

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the info Mr. 66 and Kermie!
Old 06-27-22, 09:49 AM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 385 Posts
Yes, yours is a later year and better. I snatched a curb find 1980 Letour many years ago. My son has it now. It was lower quality tubing and steel wheels. Interesting historical story on the 1980 model is it was brought back from Japan manufacturing and made in Chicago for perhaps that one year. It actually rides decent considering the lower quality steel and the steel wheels. Yours is a much better find and will serve you well. Have fun.
Old 06-27-22, 02:30 PM
RidingAroundCT

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sd5782
Yes, yours is a later year and better. I snatched a curb find 1980 Letour many years ago. My son has it now. It was lower quality tubing and steel wheels. Interesting historical story on the 1980 model is it was brought back from Japan manufacturing and made in Chicago for perhaps that one year. It actually rides decent considering the lower quality steel and the steel wheels. Yours is a much better find and will serve you well. Have fun.
that is a good bit of history thanks for the info
Old 06-28-22, 06:43 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 957 Posts
Keep in mind that if you are having it serviced by your LBS, they will probably want to simply bin your freewheel. If you are running the Accu Shift RD on index shifting, there's no modern freewheel that is fully compatible. The Suntour freewheel should be saved, serviced, and reused.

Can you post a close-up picture with the wheel off the bike in order that I can better evaluate its condition?

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 06-28-22, 06:57 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Keep in mind that if you are having it serviced by your LBS, they will probably want to simply bin your freewheel. If you are running the Accu Shift RD on index shifting, there's no modern freewheel that is fully compatible. The Suntour freewheel should be saved, serviced, and reused.

Can you post a close-up picture with the wheel off the bike in order that I can better evaluate its condition?
Good advice. It would probably be a good idea to earn how to service the bike yourself if you can. If you do take the bike in, before you do give it a thorough cleaning. From my own experience working in bike shops one thing we all hated was working on a dirty bike and we would charge extra to clean the bike before we worked on it
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 06-28-22, 07:16 AM
RidingAroundCT

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

As soon as I get home ill snap a pic of it and thanks for the info I had no idea

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Good advice. It would probably be a good idea to earn how to service the bike yourself if you can. If you do take the bike in, before you do give it a thorough cleaning. From my own experience working in bike shops one thing we all hated was working on a dirty bike and we would charge extra to clean the bike before we worked on it
Thanks and yeah I plan on cleaning it up before getting it serviced.
Likes For RidingAroundCT:
Old 06-28-22, 06:54 PM
LittleGinseng 
lurking nightrider

Bikes: '84 Lotus Supreme, '85 Club Fuji, '86 Schwinn Peloton, '87 DS Ironman Expert, '87 Maruishi Professional, '88 Takara

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
It's a 1988 model to be sure.

Schwinn catalogs, 1981 - 1990 (346 of 456) (waterfordbikes.com)
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys." Orson Welles
Likes For LittleGinseng:
Old 06-28-22, 07:13 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 943 Times in 495 Posts
It looks like a 1988 Le Tour. There should be a four digit number stamped into the head badge. The first three digits are the day of the year, the last is the year. Mine is 0888, so March 17, 1988 if I counted the leap years correctly. They were built by Schwinn in Mississippi. I rebuilt my wheels with wider rims to make it easier to mount the tires. It weighs about 25 pounds, which is where most of the sport touring competition was. There is not a lot of love for the Sun Tour AccuShift, but I didn't have any issues with it. Even with a triple crankset and a mountain bike derailleur, it worked well.

1988 Le Tour

Here is a link to the catalog page:
https://bikecatalogs.org/SCHWINN/1988...LL/1988_12.jpg
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 06-29-22, 06:07 AM
RidingAroundCT

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LittleGinseng
Originally Posted by Pompiere
It looks like a 1988 Le Tour. There should be a four digit number stamped into the head badge. The first three digits are the day of the year, the last is the year. Mine is 0888, so March 17, 1988 if I counted the leap years correctly. They were built by Schwinn in Mississippi. I rebuilt my wheels with wider rims to make it easier to mount the tires. It weighs about 25 pounds, which is where most of the sport touring competition was. There is not a lot of love for the Sun Tour AccuShift, but I didn't have any issues with it. Even with a triple crankset and a mountain bike derailleur, it worked well.

1988 Le Tour

Here is a link to the catalog page:
https://bikecatalogs.org/SCHWINN/1988...LL/1988_12.jpg
Thank you! I'll double check the number today once I'm home but I'm pretty sure I saw a number on the bottom of the bike
Old 06-29-22, 06:10 AM
RidingAroundCT

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Old 06-29-22, 07:07 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

RidingAroundCT unfortunately my eyes are not good enough to do a proper evaluation of thumbnail sized pictures. The best I can tell you is to confirm it is a Suntour Accu Shift model freewheel. In one photo it appears to be rusty. How does it feel when you spin the sprockets? Smooth, gritty, stiff, catches in places?

I would service and preserve your freewheel. Searching ebay only finds two Accu Shift 6-speed freewheels, and both are pricey. Most Accu Shift freewheels that I've worked on were 7-speed models.

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 06-29-22, 07:27 AM
RidingAroundCT

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
RidingAroundCT unfortunately my eyes are not good enough to do a proper evaluation of thumbnail sized pictures. The best I can tell you is to confirm it is a Suntour Accu Shift model freewheel. In one photo it appears to be rusty. How does it feel when you spin the sprockets? Smooth, gritty, stiff, catches in places?

I would service and preserve your freewheel. Searching ebay only finds two Accu Shift 6-speed freewheels, and both are pricey. Most Accu Shift freewheels that I've worked on were 7-speed models.
Hi! you can actually click on the pictures and a bigger picture should come up. It appears smooth when I spin it.
Old 06-29-22, 03:01 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Originally Posted by RidingAroundCT
Hi! you can actually click on the pictures and a bigger picture should come up. It appears smooth when I spin it.
I tried this earlier today and they each remained small. This time I asked my browser to open your pictures in a separate link and then had to double click them to enlarge.

I'll just add one here in order that others don't need to jump through the hoops.

While a bit tarnished with a tattered finish, overall, it looks to have had little use. It is a great candidate for cleaning, lubrication, and service. Don't let the LBS throw it away for a new one.

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 06-29-22, 10:06 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
I plan on getting it serviced and probably changing the wheels.
The wheels look like the best part.

Fully overhaul it! Buy Paselas and a new chain on the internet/ebay.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 06-30-22, 08:03 AM
RidingAroundCT

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I tried this earlier today and they each remained small. This time I asked my browser to open your pictures in a separate link and then had to double click them to enlarge.

I'll just add one here in order that others don't need to jump through the hoops.

While a bit tarnished with a tattered finish, overall, it looks to have had little use. It is a great candidate for cleaning, lubrication, and service. Don't let the LBS throw it away for a new one.
thanks! I actually went to my local lbs to get tape and look at seats and he was telling me how i should just get a new one lol
Old 06-30-22, 10:32 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
An ‘80s bike for sure but yes late ‘80s! Definitely going with the 1988 suggestion. Headbadge code and frame # will provide more info. Depending on date of final assembly (headbadge) it’s possible that the frame could be from the previous year. Also, if the the final assembly was late enough in the year, the bike could be part of the next year’s model lineup. I think that, with Schwinn bikes, catalog photos are the final confirmation.
I do have a 1980 LeTour and agree that the OP’s LeTour is a much better bike! Being one of the last “Chicago Schwinns” does give the 1980 LeTour some degree of “desirability” tho .
I also have a 1989 LeTour which is quite similar to the OP’s ‘88 model. It too, has the Sun Tour AccuShift groupset but in 1989 it was labeled “Blaze”. Glad to learn that I should definitely keep the OEM freewheel and recommend that the OP heed that suggestion made by others too. Freewheels aren’t that hard to rehabilitate and if the teeth show minimal signs of wear/abuse, should perform well.
The ‘88 LeTour is a nice looking bike and if it performs anything like my ‘89 model, will be a nice ride too!
Likes For sovende:
Old 06-30-22, 11:14 AM
RidingAroundCT

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Thank you for the info and honestly thank everyone for all the details and help I appreciate it. I'm away on a business trip today through next Thursday but once I'm home ill definitely do some looking for a serial.

Also a few questions (warning they are silly)

1. Are these tires (ones that aren't flat) ok for commuting and general riding?

2. Can this bike safely pull a trailer? I think it can but my wife wants some others to chime in, who know. I'm looking at a trailer like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/18547440274...mis&media=COPY
Old 06-30-22, 11:55 AM
kermie

To the tire question, if it were me, I would buy new tires and tubes. Rubber does degrade over time, so you want to keep it reliable. As to the trailer, Im sure it would be fine, but someone with experience with the bike could better answer that one
Old 06-30-22, 01:00 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 396 Posts
1. Are these tires (ones that aren't flat) ok for commuting and general riding?

2. Can this bike safely pull a trailer?
If the tires are old and dried out, I would replace them with new.
The trailer will add weight which will work against the brakes. How old are those brake pads? If you are going to pull this trailer in wet or rainy weather Kool Stop brake pads will greatly improve stopping.
If you are in a hilly area, you may find the gearing a bit high for uphill work. The trailer will make that worse, if it is heavy.
Likes For daverup:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.