Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Old Cannondale F1000 Fatty Head Shok SL fail

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-22, 05:42 AM
ChristianF1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am a long-term Cannondale owner. I bought a new F1000 way back in the late nineties/early 2000s and have owned the fantastic ride ever since. It has been to 4 continents and too many countries to count. After a long stay in Russia, I recently had to leave because of my opposition to the war. Now I am in Berlin. Almost every component has been changed, fixed or upgraded over the last 20+ years, but the fantastic bike is still mostly original. Alas, finally the Fatty Head Shok SL has failed. I have been to bike shops who just shrug and say, "it is too old" and then to the number one specialty repair and part shop for shocks in Germany, Damfer Klinik. They used the word "Kaput" and old far too many times for my liking. This bike is loved by me, and I had planned to have it for the rest of my life. They started saying they could do nothing for the shock as it was too old. Then they gave me an option of 4 weeks repair and 600 Euro to replace the stem, fork and headset for a new shock OR send the parts back to Cannondale for an upgrade for 650 Euros. This is the saddest day of my life. After leaving 20 years of my life in Russia behind, all my possessions, my beautiful apartment in St. Petersburg and my girlfriend due to the war - my last dependable love of my life was my Cannondale. And now it seems to be disappearing before my eyes too. There must be a remaining Fatty Head Shok SL left in the world, there must be a work-around that costs less than a new bike. I am desperate and sad. I want my bike back. Everything should be fixable and why do we have a disposable world where I have to replace a bike that could be on the road longer than me. Is there a work around or can someone find me a replacement Head Shok?
Old 06-30-22, 06:14 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Can't you just slap any Headshok in there? Just don't buy a cheap elastomer one, and the color will not match. You could also run cup reducers and stick any fork in there, but Headshok is preferred for this frame.

I have a 99 F1000 and have the fork overhauled by Mendon Cyclesmith, which luckily for me is a few hour's drive; Craig, is very nice and knowledgable
Old 06-30-22, 06:22 AM
ChristianF1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks DorkDisk! I will check out those options. Please keep up the possible fixes as I need to get back on the road.
Old 06-30-22, 09:15 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 378 Posts
I know 600 euro is a lot of money but it seems like it’s worth it (assuming you have the funds) to keep such a beloved bike alive, especially considering how long it’s served you.
Old 06-30-22, 11:03 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
In giving the benefit of doubt, you only have a couple of viable options.

Your first decision is if you really need any front suspension. If you are not going to ride on surfaces that require it, don't replace it with another fork that will only cause you problems down the road.

That said your options are to send it off to Mendon Cyclesmith, linked above, or use an adapter to install a non-headshok fork, either rigid or suspension. You could do both to get you back on the road while waiting for the fork to get repaired.

The true reality is that high quality 26" V/Linear brake suspension forks are pretty much gone, probably for good. No one supports that size, especially with rim brakes.

My advice is to find an appropriate rim brake rigid fork and use adapters to run a straight 1-1/8" steerer and either set your headshok aside or send it off to get repaired. Unfortunately life moves on and it is difficult it is to keep older stuff working when it is no longer economically feasible to manufacture parts for a diminishing market.

John
Old 06-30-22, 11:43 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Might keep checking Craigslist (or equivalent for your area, Facebook marketplace, bike co-ops for a used one in good shape. A good friend has an older C-dale with headshock in perfect shape. No, he isn't selling it although he hardly rides it since buying a newer hybrid. Keeps it around in case someone wants to join one of his rides but doesn't have a bike.