Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Trying to id a late 80s UNIVEGA All terrain bike

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-01-22, 05:04 PM
beabear444

Bikes: To many to mention

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a circa 89? ish (my guess) Univega AT (early MTB) in the base black color with white paint splatter. It has a "Tange Chromoly Frame" sticker (in black background with red at the bottom) on the seat tube and Shimano 200GS drivetrain. The model name on the top tube has worn off. Serial number is MOC 62109. Online sources say an M should be 84 ?? but I dont believe they made the splatter paint jobs that early and the 84 catalog online confirms that. Best I can tell the splatter paints were made in late 80s. Im new so cant post pics, sorry? Anyone have any ideas what year and model this is and what what particular Tange tubing it has?
Old 07-02-22, 04:53 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Most lilely, the 2nd character is a "zero", as opposed to an "oh". That would make it a 1990 model, which was the year that Shimano introduced their entry level 200GS group. In 1990, Univega's ATB model equipped with this group was the Rover 200.
Old 07-03-22, 03:07 PM
beabear444

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thx again T-Mar for sharing.

I picked this Univega bike up for the price of "free" and thought it would make a good round town beater that I could lock up in my busy theft prone metro area and if it gets stolen its not going to be too upsetting for me. Worst case I have to take an Uber home but I'm out no more $$. I wanted to confirm that I had a true beater and not something more desirable to a thief.

On another note I have been studying frame tubing set charts and wanted to verify what I suspect to be true.
The chart in question lists the tube set weight in grams. Now it is my guess that this figure only represents the weight of the 8 tubes (3 main, head, and the seat and chain stays). It dosn't include the weight of the lugs, brazing material, BB shell, drop outs, or any other braze on nubs such as rack attachments. If that is true the "tube set weight" would'nt correspond with the actual frame weight. For example the Reynold 531C tube set is listed at 1800g but an actual frame is probably going to weigh closer to 2000g all in?
Thx in advance for your knowledge. Am I on the right track here?
Old 07-04-22, 07:33 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by beabear444
Thx again T-Mar for sharing.

I picked this Univega bike up for the price of "free" and thought it would make a good round town beater that I could lock up in my busy theft prone metro area and if it gets stolen its not going to be too upsetting for me. Worst case I have to take an Uber home but I'm out no more $$. I wanted to confirm that I had a true beater and not something more desirable to a thief.

On another note I have been studying frame tubing set charts and wanted to verify what I suspect to be true.
The chart in question lists the tube set weight in grams. Now it is my guess that this figure only represents the weight of the 8 tubes (3 main, head, and the seat and chain stays). It dosn't include the weight of the lugs, brazing material, BB shell, drop outs, or any other braze on nubs such as rack attachments. If that is true the "tube set weight" would'nt correspond with the actual frame weight. For example the Reynold 531C tube set is listed at 1800g but an actual frame is probably going to weigh closer to 2000g all in?
Thx in advance for your knowledge. Am I on the right track here?
True, the claimed weights for tubesets do not include the lugs, fork crowns, BB shell, dropouts or any of the brazed-on fittings. These can add substantially to the weight and there can be quite a bit of variation depending of the actual selection. However, with the exception of Columbus, the published tubeset weights are also for full length tubes, which are typically capable of building a 25" frames, so the weight of the actual tubes used in most fames is less than the published weight. Due to all the possible permutations, it's hard to predict a frame weight based on the tubeset. Consequently, I always caution against using tube weight as a tool to identify the tubeset. For instance, I have two Italian racing frames of the same size, both built with full Columbus SL and and the difference in weight is a whopping 286g!
Old 07-04-22, 04:05 PM
beabear444

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thx T Mar. Thats why I always weight and record my frame sets when I strip them now.