Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New wheel doesn't fit??

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

New wheel doesn't fit??

Old 07-02-22, 02:56 AM
rop12770

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New wheel doesn't fit??

Hello guys

I need a little help, if possible.

I have a Merida Scultura Endurance 4000: ***.merida-bikes.com/pt-pt/bike/3111/scultura-endurance-4000
I bought for it a new set of wheels: ***.fulcrumwheels.com/en/wheels/road-bike-wheels/racing-4-db

My problem now is that it seems that the rear wheel doesn't fit the frame. After I screw it on, the brake touches the disc. If I unscrew one or 2 turns, it fits well and spins well. It's like there some kind of spacer needed (a couple of mm) between the wheel screw and the frame.
The "original" wheel fits perfectly.
Does this make any sense?

Any hints?

Thanks
Old 07-02-22, 05:08 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
The wheel fits the frame, but the disc rotor is not in the exact same place as your other wheel. You need to adjust the brake caliper to match the rotor location on the new wheel. Loosen the two bolts that hold the brake caliper to the frame and you will see that it can move sideways. If you want to be able to use both wheels, you will probably want to use shims on the rotor to move it over and match the old wheel.

If you were missing an endcap, it would be more than a few mm short.
Old 07-02-22, 05:08 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 640 Times in 329 Posts
You probably just need to readjust your brake caliper to the new rotor. If you plan on switching between the new and original wheels regularly, you might be able to use spacers for the rotor so you don’t have to adjust your brake whenever you switch.
Old 07-02-22, 05:27 AM
rop12770

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys

Thanks for the replies.

I don't thing it's a brake issue, because we tested to remove the brake of the frame, just to fit the wheel and the disc stays at a very few millimeters from the frame.
Comparing both wheels sizes, the original it's a little more "wider" if you know what I mean.
I found that the Fulcrum wheel have this part on it: ***.bike-discount.de/en/fulcrum-adjusting-ring-hub
Can this be needed an adjustment?
Old 07-02-22, 05:38 AM
rop12770

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forget it. I found out what that does: it's to eliminate any kind of wiggle of the hub.
Old 07-02-22, 08:59 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
https://www.halowheels.com/frame-spa...d-information/