Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Shimano Introduces "Warp Resistant" Road Disc Rotors

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-30-22, 07:22 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 183 Posts

Somewhat eclipsed by the announcement of the new Shimano 105 Di2 group set, Shimano also announced new disc brake rotors that are less prone to warping...

New SHIMANO Rotors Deliver Quieter, More Consistent Braking Performance

I wonder how these rotors compare to XTR rotors in terms of their ability to not warp. I'm running XTR rotors on my Ultegra Di2 setup and they do make noise after hard breaking, like when there's a stop sign at the bottom of a long descent. The XTR rotor carriers are already more "beefy" than the road discs. Perhaps a "Dura Ace vs XTR rotor warp comparison" could be a future GCN episode.
Old 06-30-22, 08:34 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Warp resistant rotors sound great. Now all we need is a warp capable bike.
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 06-30-22, 09:30 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
Hmmm...Real deal or gimmick?

I have never had my rotors warp on any of my bikes.
Likes For prj71:
Old 06-30-22, 12:02 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
The main gist seems to be that they will run cooler (I wonder about that) and less apt to warp due to heat. Will an aluminum carrier be more prone to failure due to repeated braking stresses? It'd be a Bad Thing(tm) if your brakes ran without rubbing, but you could eventually count on them to explode on a big downhill.

Most mechanicals work by warping the rotors. Will they work with these new rotors?
Old 06-30-22, 12:09 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
can I get some for my Honda minivan
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 06-30-22, 01:04 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
it might just be Shimano venting out a product for those that can ride fast, but don't have the best braking judgement.
Old 06-30-22, 02:41 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 1,057 Posts

I believe Shimano has offered the three layer rotors for a number of years - and the 'Freeza ' or similar version since 2018 or so ???

XTR RT99 rotor ... 2018 or so ?
Old 06-30-22, 02:55 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,317 Times in 671 Posts
My understanding is that Fiamme invented warp-resistant braking surfaces in 1934 quickly followed by Mavic.
Old 06-30-22, 08:22 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Shimano at least on some bikes we had, came with warped rotors for a while, every once and while we still get them. Less common on other brands but I am sure it happens once and while. More warp resistance could be good. Really just a good stiff rotor is a positive, I am game.
Old 06-30-22, 09:40 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
I'm trying to think of a way to adjust the warp in the same way one would straighten a rim by the spokes.

I suppose the rotor would have to be thin enough to take adjustment. Let's say you had a bolt system either inside or outside the rotor with very small philips...allen... TORX fasteners you could adjust inwardly or outwardly to straighten the rotor. Or shim it.

Just a thought
Old 07-01-22, 03:28 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
My $2 disc rotors doesn't warp unless I come across a dense cloud of tachyon particles.

Seriously, I didn't even know rotor warp exists until this thread. I've gone long mountain descents, emergency braking during these descents with my cheap $2 single piece steel rotors and never had anything but consistent and smooth braking. Imagining a problem that doesn't really exist??
Old 07-01-22, 05:33 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Originally Posted by koala logs
My $2 disc rotors doesn't warp unless I come across a dense cloud of tachyon particles.

Seriously, I didn't even know rotor warp exists until this thread. I've gone long mountain descents, emergency braking during these descents with my cheap $2 single piece steel rotors and never had anything but consistent and smooth braking. Imagining a problem that doesn't really exist??
never had rotor rub when riding your bike ?

you've never experienced brake pedal 'pulsating' when applying the brakes on your car ?
Old 07-01-22, 06:50 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Originally Posted by t2p
never had rotor rub when riding your bike ?

you've never experienced brake pedal 'pulsating' when applying the brakes on your car ?
Hmmm. Never did.

The brake pedal pulsating on the car I think happens to be the action of some primitive 90's era ABS (Anti-lock Braking Systems) because I ONLY experience those pulsating feedback when braking over loose surfaces like mud, sand, regardless of ambient temperatures OR when I'm using summer tires on wet roads and I'm skidding all over the road. It doesn't feel like a rotor warp but rather feels a lot like a mechanical feedback because it can feel pretty rough depending on the car model.

The pulsating seems to release the brakes intermittently and helps me steer when braking at the same time over loose surfaces. Before on 80's cars without ABS if I lock the front wheels, there's no way I can steer the car.
Old 07-01-22, 11:44 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,577 Times in 2,894 Posts
My new, 1 month old front rotor is already warped.

These are what I have been looking for. Thanks for posting. Will get an order in with my LBS ASAP.

Old 07-02-22, 12:02 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p

I believe Shimano has offered the three layer rotors for a number of years - and the 'Freeza ' or similar version since 2018 or so ???

XTR RT99 rotor ... 2018 or so ?
I have one of those -- just stuck it on my wife's bike. She drags her rear brake, and the crappy stock rotor turned multi-colored. This one seems to handle her abuse much better.
Old 07-02-22, 04:55 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I have one of those -- just stuck it on my wife's bike. She drags her rear brake, and the crappy stock rotor turned multi-colored. This one seems to handle her abuse much better.
Multicolored means the brake rotor would have been glowing red hot (you won't see the glow unless it's night). You might want to inspect brake pads and the brake calipers as well. On long descents where I might have dragged the brakes like due to plenty of tight turns on the way down, I just sit in a more upright posture and unzip my jersey to create as much aero drag as possible. That helps reduce my speed without depending too much on the brakes.
Old 07-02-22, 05:14 AM
t2p

Hmmm. Never did.

The brake pedal pulsating on the car I think happens to be the action of some primitive 90's era ABS (Anti-lock Braking Systems) because I ONLY experience those pulsating feedback when braking over loose surfaces like mud, sand, regardless of ambient temperatures OR when I'm using summer tires on wet roads and I'm skidding all over the road. It doesn't feel like a rotor warp but rather feels a lot like a mechanical feedback because it can feel pretty rough depending on the car model.

The pulsating seems to release the brakes intermittently and helps me steer when braking at the same time over loose surfaces. Before on 80's cars without ABS if I lock the front wheels, there's no way I can steer the car.
Yes - I'm familiar with ABS pulsating

I mentioned a different type pulsating - pulsating due to warped or glazed rotors - fairly common (especially for those that often brake late / hard)
Old 07-02-22, 05:17 AM
t2p

Originally Posted by rsbob
My new, 1 month old front rotor is already warped.

These are what I have been looking for. Thanks for posting. Will get an order in with my LBS ASAP.
for some - the move to a larger rotor (diameter) solved the rotor overheat / warp issue

example - move to 180mm from 160mm
Old 07-02-22, 08:30 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Multicolored means the brake rotor would have been glowing red hot (you won't see the glow unless it's night). You might want to inspect brake pads and the brake calipers as well. On long descents where I might have dragged the brakes like due to plenty of tight turns on the way down, I just sit in a more upright posture and unzip my jersey to create as much aero drag as possible. That helps reduce my speed without depending too much on the brakes.
The pads look fine (apart from wearing out frequently). We have steep, windy roads. I chew through huge numbers of brake pads (and lots of rotors), but apply the front and back more evenly.
Old 07-02-22, 09:14 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,577 Times in 2,894 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
for some - the move to a larger rotor (diameter) solved the rotor overheat / warp issue

example - move to 180mm from 160mm
didn’t know that larger would fit without new calipers. Thanks for the tip!

Old 07-02-22, 09:59 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Originally Posted by t2p
Yes - I'm familiar with ABS pulsating

I mentioned a different type pulsating - pulsating due to warped or glazed rotors - fairly common (especially for those that often brake late / hard)
I see. Well, I never brake hard when I'm driving a car. The only times I activated the ABS is braking over mud, ice, and having the wrong tires for the season.

I can't imagine warping the brake rotors of a car, they are much thicker, especially the front disc.

I seldom do hard / abrupt braking on the bike and never for no reason. If did, it's usually for motorists who cut me off and stop right in front of me on the bike lane. Even then, I don't brake hard enough and in few cases, I left a dent in the car's body work. They probably deserved it anyway!
Old 07-02-22, 10:31 AM
t2p

please note : a new caliper mount / adapter will also be required (to move caliper out appropriate distance)
Likes For t2p:
Old 07-02-22, 11:28 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Just an adaptor.

Some road forks are specced for 160mm max. Some road rear triangles won't fit a larger rotor than 160 or 140 mm.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-03-22, 05:09 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I am up for warp resistant rotors. Where I live we have a LOT of mountains/hills. On those descent my rotors, specifically my front, tend to warp. Of course once they cool down the rotors return to their normal state. But sure. I am interested in more warp resistant rotors. Would I pay more for them? Probably not.
Old 07-03-22, 08:22 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
The IceTech rotor on the back of my tandem did warp. Replaced it with a vented Hope rotor which has been just fine.
The vented Hope rotors are thicker than most bike rotors and are interested for use with the V4 calipers..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.