Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are they fooling us?! a rant

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are they fooling us?! a rant

Old 11-17-21, 01:13 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,597 Times in 5,944 Posts
If the internet existed when 6 speed freewheels and 126mm spacing were introduced, there would have been threads on bicycle forums about how the marketing departments were trying to get us to buy unnecessary frippery, and there probably would have been those who complained that FIVE gears are already too many and REAL cyclists get by with 4, and the 5th gear was all just marketing, and that's why you can't get a good 4 speed freewheel anymore.

Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-17-21, 01:14 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,711 Times in 2,911 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59
I agree with some of this. I think threadless fork / stem was a definite improvement. But the latest integrated cockpit is expensive overreach. 9 speed rear is better than 5, but I’ll stop there. Hydraulic brakes, tubeless tires, electric shift? You can keep all that, no thanks. Some bikes now cost waaay too much. But to each his own. OP has every right to his opinion.
Absolutely. But you don't use words like "we" and "us" when you express a personal opinion. The OP should just speak for himself and be thankful he can still get cheap parts for his old rig.
Old 11-17-21, 01:30 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
The OP should just speak for himself and be thankful he can still get cheap parts for his old rig.
Speaking of which: If I understand the OP correctly, HE can get those old parts readily but the bike shop cannot for some reason...

So what's the problem?
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 11-17-21, 01:39 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,290 Times in 7,228 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Take a look at any car commercial. When was the last time you drove through downtown of a major city in the middle of the day without any other traffic around and be able to park right in front of your destination?

Or for SUVs and pickup trucks, are manufacturers really encouraging you to drive over curbs and race other vehicles to beat the lane-end?

They try to fool you that life is good with their car but in reality, when someone buys a car, usually he just wants to get around and he's going to get stuck in traffic and pay high gasoline prices and insurance premiums regardless of the type of motor vehicle he gets.
But But But those women do it in that Buick ad, hands free no less. So it must be true.

Personally, my insurance is relatively cheap for a major American city. Less than $1,400/yea for $300/$300 and $1 million umbrella coverage, plus collision, comprehensive, roadside assistance and towing. And I don't drive much. Got my Forester in the beginning of July, 2016. Just about to hit 13,700 miles. It would be fewer but I am required to work in our NJ office twice/week, so that has been adding about 70 miles/week. Many of the miles were put on during long trips, including 3 round trips to Brooklyn in connection with bike rides. That was 600 right there. As such, higher gas prices don't hit my wallet in a noticeable way. Plus, I can save about $0.25/gallon when I am in NJ.
Old 11-17-21, 01:58 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Marketing only works if you buy into it.

I don't acknowledge the bicycle industry as an authority on which bikes I ought to own. It just produces the products I have chosen to buy.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 11-17-21, 02:16 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Zas
Right now my daily ride is an 80s steel touring bike. Straight 1" steerer, threaded headset. Threaded bb. Cantilever brakes. Shimano 600 indexed downtube shifting from the 90s, hyperglide cassette. Can fit fenders, racks and 37mm gravel or winter tires. I can get all spares for it cheap and they are actually being manufactured still, not everything can always be bought off the shelf from the LBS though. For example a fine quality 7s cassette costs a fraction compared to a modern 1x12 cassette. If I crash, I only trash a cheap brake lever, not a brifter that costs hundreds. Maintenance is easy because the technology has been there for 40 years, once you learn it you´re done. They are trying to force us to buy new stuff for no other reason than to get money from us. There´s been very little development in the modern quality bicycle in the past 40 years(with the exception of the mountain bike, which is arguably better today compared to the 90s). Honestly, we could have stopped most of the development in the 90s and be perfectly happy!
Wow, somebody really suckered you into buying all that high tech stuff. Cantilever brakes? 7 speed cassette? Pfffft.
Should have bought one of these:
54" UDC MK3 PENNY FARTHING - BLACK/RED | Unicycle.com

Technology moves along, making bicycles faster, safer, lighter, more aero. No one is forcing you to buy new, but you have to understand that eventually, old technology can no longer be supported and parts are going to become unavailable.(That being said, I think that what SRAM has done is terrible, and is why I will stay away from their products.) Hey, the way things are looking, you may not be able to buy spark plugs for your internal combustion powered car (you know, the one you only take out on Sundays, because all the gas pumps have been replaced by EV charging ports) in about 20 years.

Last edited by Bald Paul; 11-17-21 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-17-21, 02:17 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9526 Post(s)
Liked 6,268 Times in 3,456 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Take a look at any car commercial. When was the last time you drove through downtown of a major city in the middle of the day without any other traffic around and be able to park right in front of your destination?

Or for SUVs and pickup trucks, are manufacturers really encouraging you to drive over curbs and race other vehicles to beat the lane-end?

They try to fool you that life is good with their car but in reality, when someone buys a car, usually he just wants to get around and he's going to get stuck in traffic and pay high gasoline prices and insurance premiums regardless of the type of motor vehicle he gets.
And then there are those who buy a particular car for the love of driving. Not everyone is of the opinion that cars are solely to get from point A to B. Gas and insurance are just the cost of having some fun on a daily basis.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 11-17-21, 02:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Hey is this another thread where someone points a gun at your head and makes you buy stuff?

Two in one week!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-17-21, 02:26 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
And then there are those who buy a particular car for the love of driving. Not everyone is of the opinion that cars are solely to get from point A to B. Gas and insurance are just the cost of having some fun on a daily basis.
Says the guy with the white rental-car wannabe?
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 11-17-21, 02:56 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Hey is this another thread where someone points a gun at your head and makes you buy stuff?

Two in one week!
No. It is a thread where someone points a gun at your head and makes you read one thread or the other.

If you read both threads you won't need someone else's help to point a gun at your head.

John
Old 11-17-21, 02:57 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
For the love of driving to the closest traffic jam so people can admire your car that's stuck behind the garbage truck.

And nobody is pointing a gun to your head when you have to get the latest iphone or update the latest operating system or agree to the new Ts and Cs or none of your apps will work.
Old 11-17-21, 03:04 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
No. It is a thread where someone points a gun at your head and makes you read one thread or the other.

If you read both threads you won't need someone else's help to point a gun at your head.

John

I told OP that he had invented a cyclist horror film genre. Little did we know the sequel would appear so fast:

They Made Me Buy Crap II
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-17-21, 03:14 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Hi! What's this thread about?
Old 11-17-21, 03:21 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1564 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
The Mind-Control Machinations of the Marketing Arm(s) of Big Bicycle™.
Old 11-17-21, 03:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
"It's about this long."
"And it's about this wide."
"And it's about this country, about which we're singing about."

Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-17-21, 03:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by badger1
The Mind-Control Machinations of the Marketing Arm(s) of Big Bicycle™.
D'you suppose I could tell my wife that Big Bicycle FORCED ME to buy yet another bike? "Really, hon! Honestly! I had no choice in the matter!"

Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-17-21, 03:34 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1564 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
D'you suppose I could tell my wife that Big Bicycle FORCED ME to buy yet another bike? "Really, hon! Honestly! I had no choice in the matter!"
Can't see why that wouldn't fly!
Old 11-17-21, 03:36 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Our entire economy is based on "New and Improved!" As a society we've been indoctrinated into "New and Improved!" so much, we get all pouty if it doesn't happen fast enough ('I want it NOW, Daddy!'). I call it the cancer model economy; grow forever or die. But what do I know?

TL;DR I love my vintage 26'ers.
Likes For Korina:
Old 11-17-21, 03:36 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by badger1
Can't see why that wouldn't fly!
I feel like Big Bicycle is trying to get me to buy something with the new Dura Ace.....

Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-17-21, 03:41 PM
Gravel Rider

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 63 Posts
I bought a gravel bike.
I'm sorry.
Old 11-17-21, 03:42 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
"Honest, baby, I NEED the new 12-speed electronic .... you don't want Big Bicycle to Kill me, do you? Their gun is literally pointed at my head, figuratively. It's not about riding, it's Life and Death!"

Yeah, that might get me killed.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-17-21, 03:44 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Korina
Our entire economy is based on "New and Improved!" As a society we've been indoctrinated into "New and Improved!" so much, we get all pouty if it doesn't happen fast enough ('I want it NOW, Daddy!'). I call it the cancer model economy; grow forever or die. But what do I know?

TL;DR I love my vintage 26'ers.
Counterpoint: If we all just made do with what we have, fewer people would have jobs. It's a problem for which I have no solution to offer.

Likes For genejockey:
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,166 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Zas
Does anyone else think the marketing departments of cell phone brands and component makers are too much in control of what cell phones we use at any given time? Do you all think this is the way to go? They want to sell us new cell phones that are more incompatible and more expensive every few years by any means necessary.
Originally Posted by Zas
Does anyone else think the marketing departments of computer brands and component makers are too much in control of what computers we use at any given time? Do you all think this is the way to go? They want to sell us new computers that are more incompatible and more expensive every few years by any means necessary.
Originally Posted by Zas
Does anyone else think the marketing departments of vehicle brands and component makers are too much in control of what cars at any given time? Do you all think this is the way to go? They want to sell us new cars that are more incompatible and more expensive every few years by any means necessary.
Does that answer your question?

The world moves on, new ideas come about and that’s just how it is. Nobody is a victim.

The modern bike is a wonderful thing and the majority of us aren't stuck in some time warp riding something from the 80's.

Last edited by prj71; 11-17-21 at 03:47 PM.
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Maelochs
"Honest, baby, I NEED the new 12-speed electronic .... you don't want Big Bicycle to Kill me, do you? Their gun is literally pointed at my head, figuratively. It's not about riding, it's Life and Death!"

Yeah, that might get me killed.
Or worse - ridiculed.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-17-21, 03:48 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9526 Post(s)
Liked 6,268 Times in 3,456 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Says the guy with the white rental-car wannabe?
I have not owned that car for some time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.