Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Problems with Canyon (the company) and their customer service?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Problems with Canyon (the company) and their customer service?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-21, 08:53 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
You made your bed, now you are in it.
Proving that not every Kant is a philosopher.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 12-28-21, 09:46 PM
davethelefty

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL, Cannondale Topstone 6, Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I would definitely go with the CC route as well, I would also file a complaint with the California Department of Consumer Affairs. I had to do that once for service my wife was suppose to be obtaining, but we were having issue with. It eventually was resolved, but we still filed with the state. I would also let Canyon know you will file with the state.

https://www.dca.ca.gov/webapps/gencomplaint.php
Thanks for the link to the CA Dept of Consumer Affairs -- I will reach out to them. Also a big thanks to everyone who has endorsed the credit card warranty protection process. My CC does offer that feature, and I kick it off with a phone call, probably followed by a ton of documentation. I may have a case that they're willing to support, and contacting the state of Calif. will be an interesting endeavor also.

And perhaps this will wake up Canyon? While I was mildly chastised for not going the LBS route (and let's be clear, I wish that had been an option for me), there were many things that attracted me to Canyon besides price and availability. In the research I did, I got a good amount of feedback from people on this forum about Canyon. I appreciate that Canyon supports riders on the TdF. It's a solid bike manufacturer, and to be fair, we can blame Covid and resulting supply chain issues for much of this nonsense. I debated giving up and just buying the Trek Domane I originally looked at. But good luck getting one before Summer 2022. My Trek LBS laughed when I said I wanted a Domane.

Again, thanks for all your ideas. This was exactly the info I was looking for and it'll be immensely helpful. And I'm hoping before long I'll be back on my repaired/replaced Endurace!!!
Old 12-29-21, 01:48 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
From my experience ( original owner, all four bikes less than six months old) ( Cannondale, Liv, Giant ) warranty is only good if your frame is broken in half or it's something they can fix in under 15 minutes with just labor ( lube job, adjust etc... )

For all those that say this is the problem with direct to consumers, I did not find it any better buying locally. I had the same issue with one giant and 2 liv's. All bought from three different LBS.
The little LBS store does not want warranty your bike and fight the big bicycle manufacture. They don't mind taking something apart and greasing it up. That's it. If they have to eat a
bicycle part that requires them to prove to some manufacture about defect they want nothing to do with it.

The only luck I had with warranty was when I bought from sports-basement. I still had to go in at least 10 times saying the bottom bracket is still not right. They kept trying to pretend they could not hear it. Since Sports Basement has 10+ stores they probably have more clout with Cannondale than the small LBS that we bought the Giant and Liv from. Cannondale ended up sending Sport basement a new bottom bracket, crank set. All I wanted was a bottom bracket. Maybe my model had a know issues so they replaced everything? dunno.
Old 12-29-21, 04:56 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,184 Times in 2,225 Posts
Originally Posted by davethelefty
Thanks for the link to the CA Dept of Consumer Affairs -- I will reach out to them. Also a big thanks to everyone who has endorsed the credit card warranty protection process. My CC does offer that feature, and I kick it off with a phone call, probably followed by a ton of documentation. I may have a case that they're willing to support, and contacting the state of Calif. will be an interesting endeavor also.

And perhaps this will wake up Canyon? While I was mildly chastised for not going the LBS route (and let's be clear, I wish that had been an option for me), there were many things that attracted me to Canyon besides price and availability. In the research I did, I got a good amount of feedback from people on this forum about Canyon. I appreciate that Canyon supports riders on the TdF. It's a solid bike manufacturer, and to be fair, we can blame Covid and resulting supply chain issues for much of this nonsense. I debated giving up and just buying the Trek Domane I originally looked at. But good luck getting one before Summer 2022. My Trek LBS laughed when I said I wanted a Domane.

Again, thanks for all your ideas. This was exactly the info I was looking for and it'll be immensely helpful. And I'm hoping before long I'll be back on my repaired/replaced Endurace!!!
What size do you need? My Local trek dealer has about 8 domane on the floor right now ready to go.
Old 12-29-21, 05:14 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
The shop I worked in has been a Giant and Speciallzed dealer since 1992. Processing warranty claims with Specialized was always a hassle and we had to go to battle with them. That changed around 2015. Not sure why, but it is much more streamlined and easier to deal with them.
Giant has never been a hassle to deal with on warranty claims. They have always stepped up to the plate, even when it had been obvious that the problem was operator error. A very gracious company to deal with. I left the biz this past fall so I know my impressions are up to date.
I do believe the dealer relationship with the supplier has a determining factor on warrranty service. I know for sure that parts are in short supply, including frames and forks. I also know poor communications sink relationships. Canyon as screwed up. Unfortunately, what very well could be an isolated incident will now become an overblown incident and grow lots of legs due to the internet.
Old 12-29-21, 05:56 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
The shop I worked in has been a Giant and Speciallzed dealer since 1992. Processing warranty claims with Specialized was always a hassle and we had to go to battle with them. That changed around 2015. Not sure why, but it is much more streamlined and easier to deal with them.
Giant has never been a hassle to deal with on warranty claims. They have always stepped up to the plate, even when it had been obvious that the problem was operator error. A very gracious company to deal with. I left the biz this past fall so I know my impressions are up to date.
I do believe the dealer relationship with the supplier has a determining factor on warrranty service. I know for sure that parts are in short supply, including frames and forks. I also know poor communications sink relationships. Canyon as screwed up. Unfortunately, what very well could be an isolated incident will now become an overblown incident and grow lots of legs due to the internet.
How is the incident overblown?

All Canyon has to do at this point?

1. Sincerely apologize

2. Send OP either the bike with swapped components or the upgrade version.......Express service.

3. Get a working email account or a written means to communicate warranty claims

Hopefully, OP would then close the loop here with a happy story and the incident is closed
Old 12-29-21, 06:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
How is the incident overblown?

All Canyon has to do at this point?

1. Sincerely apologize

2. Send OP either the bike with swapped components or the upgrade version.......Express service.

3. Get a working email account or a written means to communicate warranty claims

Hopefully, OP would then close the loop here with a happy story and the incident is closed

I think you just agreed with the post you're quoting. I took the point to be that the incident was getting overblown because Canyon is screwing up by not promptly taking some step to resolve this. It wasn't a criticism of OP.

At this point, Canyon needs to either refund in full or send the complete bike right now. The CC refund thing really is OP's best chance here because Canyon has absolutely no leg to stand on once they admitted that it was covered by the warranty. Canyon should rightly be alarmed if there's internet stories like this circulating on social media-- they're not doing the right thing and have to be forced to return the money is not a good look on Google results.

Canyon lives by the internet and this kind of incident is how they could die by the internet.

Last edited by livedarklions; 12-29-21 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-29-21, 07:24 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Unfortunately that's the number I'm calling. Someone answers, they're friendly and sympathetic, but nothing comes from the call. I open a ticket and absolutely get nothing. I've called and asked to escalate the case, nothing comes from it.

But thank you for replying with this info. I do appreciate those who respond and are trying in earnest to help!
Just curious. You've mentioned a couple times that calling hasn't helped. Are they telling you anything at all though on those calls? Eg. do they know they haven't lost your bike? Maybe try that tact -- you want a refund on the entire bike because they can't provide any ETA or status?
Old 12-29-21, 09:09 AM
davethelefty

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Just curious. You've mentioned a couple times that calling hasn't helped. Are they telling you anything at all though on those calls? Eg. do they know they haven't lost your bike? Maybe try that tact -- you want a refund on the entire bike because they can't provide any ETA or status?
No,the frustrating thing is they have case notes but no updates. So they can see what's going on but don't have up-to-date status (or they do, and don't want to communicate it). So each time I call I get someone who tells me he'll go out and get Alex, the case owner, to give me an update. But I NEVER get a call back from Alex or anyone else. If they told me it was going to take another month I might be angry but I'd know the timeline. At present I don't know a thing. And as far as losing my bike, all I have is the FedEx tracking number that shows Canyon received the bike...

I"ve gotten a lot of great suggestions and ideas from everyone here for my next call to Canyon. I will request a replacement bike or a refund, inform them that I've contacted CA Dept of Consumer Affairs, and I've escalated with my CC company. These are all GREAT steps to take!!! And eventually it'll work out one way or another and I will provide an update here.
Old 12-29-21, 10:19 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 693 Posts
Start writing.

The way I’d go…

1. Call the number you have. Ask for a physical address for the delivery of legal documents.
Do not get drawn in to a discussion of the bike. If pushed answer, it’s regarding cycling products.

2. Write a letter containing the following…
Detail of bike purchase (include receipt and serial number)
Timeline of all contact with Canyon, brief description of contact, ticket number if applicable.
Detail / propose acceptable solutions and timeframe for resolution.
Provide your contact info, but not a phone number. Only email and physical address. You want a written reply.

3. Optional, have lawyer copy your letter to letterhead.
you’ll likely pay for a rewrite of the letter. But having it already written will cut costs.

4. Mail letter using some form of recorded (signature required) method…… FedEx maybe.

what this does is build a case…. Best part, they know what you’re doing !!!
You can even list your Credit Card company as a CC recipient.

Sincerely

Barry

Last edited by Barry2; 12-29-21 at 11:34 AM. Reason: typo
Likes For Barry2:
Old 12-29-21, 11:09 AM
davethelefty

Originally Posted by Barry2
The way I’d go…

1. Call the number you have. Ask for a physical address for the delivery of legal documents.
Do not get drawn in to a discussion of the bike. If pushed answer, it’s regarding cycling products.

2. Write a letter containing the following…
Detail of bike purchase (include receipt and serial number)
Timeline of all contact with Canyon, brief description of contact, ticket number if applicable.
Detail / propose acceptable solutions and timeframe for resolution.
Provide your contact info, but not a phone number. Only email and physical address. You want a written reply.

3. Optional, have lawyer copy your letter to letterhead.
you’ll likely pay for a rewrite of the letter. But having it already written will cut costs.

4. Mail letter using some form of recorded (signature required) method…… FedEx maybe.

what this does is build a case…. Best part, they know what you’re doing !!!
You can even list you Credit Card company as a CC recipient.

Sincerely

Barry
I like this approach! Thank you.
Old 12-29-21, 11:32 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
At this point, Canyon needs to either refund in full or send the complete bike right now. The CC refund thing really is OP's best chance here because Canyon has absolutely no leg to stand on once they admitted that it was covered by the warranty. Canyon should rightly be alarmed if there's internet stories like this circulating on social media-- they're not doing the right thing and have to be forced to return the money is not a good look on Google results.

Canyon lives by the internet and this kind of incident is how they could die by the internet.
I'll agree, that they SHOULD be alarmed... But my own experience in varied cases involving 'internet' purchases, that once a company feels 'insulated', their whole customer service system breaks down. Once the sense of urgency is dulled, 'rationalization' sets in, and this kinda thing happens.
I also conclude, that they think their customer base is so varied and again, insulated, that individual cases like this will have no impact on their business/model.
Let's hope they're wrong.
Feel bad for the OP davethelefty
But it does confirm my hesitation to deal with an internet only company, in this business and with a very high ticket item... for which 'warrenty' always seems contentious in the first place.
Given the current cost of 'new', I'd only buy if the bike was directly in my hands, and from a shop invested in my 'satisfaction'.
A large part/price paid of the 'purchase' is the level of 'warrenty' and reliability of the company backing their product.
Nothing new said here by me. But I did want to state that the OP's reasonable expectations and methods are NOTICED, and have a direct effect on the audience here...
needless to say, this totally affects my opinion of Canyon products, for myself... course, that doesn't help the OP...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 12-29-21, 12:20 PM
davethelefty

An update -- apparently my DM to Canyon on Twitter prompted someone from Canyon corporate contacting Warranty Support. I received a call this AM from a point person who is driving getting the new frameset and my 105 components to Engineering for the rebuild. The target date is 1/3. Now call me skeptical because nothing Canyon has promised has come true on time, but this is a good start. I did also get an apology and an assessment that this had taken way too long to resolve.

So now let's see if they move in a positive direction, or if I need to tighten the screws a bit more.

Again, thanks to everyone who read my original post and offered suggestions, ideas, and sympathy. And yes, even to the guy who thought I was a whiner, because it's true. You go 5+ months not riding an awesome bike, and get no response from Canyon, you get grumpy.
Old 12-29-21, 12:49 PM
Route 66

Bikes: Spot ACME with Shimano Alfine 11 & Gates Carbon Drive

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 24 Posts
It's nice to hear some positive news about your dilemma for a change.
Old 12-29-21, 02:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
An update -- apparently my DM to Canyon on Twitter prompted someone from Canyon corporate contacting Warranty Support. I received a call this AM from a point person who is driving getting the new frameset and my 105 components to Engineering for the rebuild. The target date is 1/3. Now call me skeptical because nothing Canyon has promised has come true on time, but this is a good start. I did also get an apology and an assessment that this had taken way too long to resolve.

So now let's see if they move in a positive direction, or if I need to tighten the screws a bit more.

Again, thanks to everyone who read my original post and offered suggestions, ideas, and sympathy. And yes, even to the guy who thought I was a whiner, because it's true. You go 5+ months not riding an awesome bike, and get no response from Canyon, you get grumpy.

Make 'em give you some swag. You can never have too many water bottles.

Good work! And on behalf of everybody else, we don't thank the guy who accused you of whining. We live in the real world where stuff is often bought online, and a good discussion of what to do when it goes wrong is a really good topic. I think other people are going to find this thread helpful, and you-know-who can stick his "you got what you deserve" trolling nonsense.

I definitely join you in thanking the constructive posters on this thread (everyone but the one guy, in other words), there were some really good ideas there.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-29-21, 04:46 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 1,010 Posts
I would still file a complaint with the state just to keep them honest.

Old 12-29-21, 05:09 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
"I also know poor communications sink relationships. Canyon as screwed up. Unfortunately, what very well could be an isolated incident will now become an overblown incident and grow lots of legs due to the internet."

Rereading my statement I do not see any accusatory verbage. Tacking another course, Canyon may be making a mountain out of a mole hill with the simple lack of communication.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 12-29-21, 08:45 PM
davethelefty

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
"I also know poor communications sink relationships. Canyon as screwed up. Unfortunately, what very well could be an isolated incident will now become an overblown incident and grow lots of legs due to the internet."

Rereading my statement I do not see any accusatory verbage. Tacking another course, Canyon may be making a mountain out of a mole hill with the simple lack of communication.
It's funny what a difference just one degree of separation makes. My wife has thought from the get-go that I was making Mt. Everest out of this mole hill. In retrospect I fretted about this an awful lot, wrote about it a lot (too much?) on this forum, and have grumbled to literally every bike friend I have. My whole universe is praying we get resolution so I'll shut up!! But grumbling is something I do well, and as I age, I'm getting a whole lot better at it.

Happy New Year, everyone!
Likes For davethelefty:
Old 12-29-21, 11:00 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
I’m with your wife. But good luck anyway.
Old 12-29-21, 11:14 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,897 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
I’m with your wife. But good luck anyway.
I'm sure all the other kids in your middle school class are really impressed with your devastating banter.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-30-21, 09:00 PM
Pouhana

Bikes: Fuji Nevada 29, Trek 820, SE BIG Mountain 29

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

It is my understanding California where they do business, is under lemon laws. Problem is that they have your lemon.

It also seems to me many of these importers do NOT have an actual shop.
Old 12-30-21, 11:35 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I'm sure all the other kids in your middle school class are really impressed with your devastating banter.

"Bless his heart, he tries."
Likes For Rolla:
Old 01-01-22, 12:50 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
After the original post, I am sure it will give some pause to buy a Canyon product.

Old 01-01-22, 05:59 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4402 Post(s)
Liked 4,849 Times in 3,001 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
After the original post, I am sure it will give some pause to buy a Canyon product.
True, but then if you black-balled companies based on individual bad experiences, then you would struggle to have confidence with pretty much any bike at all! But it does highlight one of the potential drawbacks of buying direct from the manufacturer, especially far away from their base.

But I've had so many disappointing experiences with various local bike shops (I've tried them all in our local area over the years) that I decided to bypass them on my last few bike purchases and have just ordered my second Canyon having had a very positive experience previously. But I'm not sure I would buy Canyon if I was on the US side of the pond.
Old 01-01-22, 10:12 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
True, but then if you black-balled companies based on individual bad experiences, then you would struggle to have confidence with pretty much any bike at all! But it does highlight one of the potential drawbacks of buying direct from the manufacturer, especially far away from their base.

But I've had so many disappointing experiences with various local bike shops (I've tried them all in our local area over the years) that I decided to bypass them on my last few bike purchases and have just ordered my second Canyon having had a very positive experience previously. But I'm not sure I would buy Canyon if I was on the US side of the pond.
Hey Pete, good to hear from you. Plenty of positive comments and their sponsorship of pro-teams. When I make a higher-end purchase, one of my criteria is good customer support, but that is just me. Enjoy your rides! They make beautiful bikes. Happy NY!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.