Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sprocket Shuffling/Building a Cino Freewheel

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-16-22, 04:50 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 646 Posts

I am sorting out the gearing on the bike I'm riding in Montana next month. First off, it has a 144bcd crankset with 52/42 rings. I would like to have a 32 tooth sprocket on the freewheel

I have a couple of 6 speed freewheel a 32t. However, they're standard width and wont work on my 120mm spaced wheel(without spacers and possibly a longer axle). I do have a nos 13-21 Ultra 6 new winner freewheel, along with a 28t and 32t sprocket. I also have a 5 speed winner freewheel(13-26).

Are these two freewheel interchangeable as far as sprockets go? Ideally, I would like to turn that Ultra 6 into my Cino gearing. This would be my first time tearing apart one of these things, so I am asking you the experts for some help.

Likes For Roger M:
Old 06-16-22, 05:40 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,330 Times in 1,564 Posts
Have you been shown the New Winner freewheel literature and cog board layout?
It's got the info about what cog types were used on the various configurations. The configuration variations include ultra vs. regular spacing, and whether it was 5, 6, or 7 speed.

the literature:

high resolution version: https://live.staticflickr.com/3651/3...209492_k_d.jpg

high resolution version: https://live.staticflickr.com/3410/3...bbb165_k_d.jpg

and the "service board", which is how bike shops stored and displayed the spare cogs and spacers.

high resolution version: https://live.staticflickr.com/3628/3...909bc_4k_d.jpg

You'll need to figure out what cogs and spacers you have, and then figure out what you will need for the desired freewheel.
For SunTour freewheels that aren't New Winners, the cog arrangements will be different.
It's possible that you'll want to take them apart to see exactly what you've got.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 06-17-22, 07:34 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 957 Posts
The Winner pictured is the original Winner. Notice there are no little holes spaced 180 degrees from each other. I've only had a few of these in my hands and I could never service them. However, the sprockets and spacers should be interchangeable with the New Winner, and vice versa. I'd personally use the New Winner body over the original Winner body.

You should be able to remove both sets of sprockets and mix them together with the 32T onto the New Winner body, as long as you only use either the Ultra-narrow spacers or the standard spacers. You should still have a 120mm compatible freewheel if you use the Ultra spacers.

With that said, I have switched wheelsets on my '71 Paramount. One wheelset could run an Ultra spaced Suntour freewheel, while the other wheelset did not have enough clearance for an Ultra 6 speed and could only handle a 5 speed.

Finally, I have found that Ultra 6 speed freewheels prefer a narrow 8 speed chain, such as a SRAM or KMC model for improved shifting.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 06-17-22, 09:44 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
At least for my gravel riding, a 52/13 top gear never comes in handy, so I'd probably lose the 13T in favor of a 14T or 15T, or shrink the big ring in order to free up derailleur capacity.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 06-17-22 at 09:47 AM.
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 06-17-22, 10:21 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 957 Posts
Unfortunately, ThermionicScott if all Roger M has on hand are the two Suntour freewheels pictured, he only has a 13T for the first position on those two bodies.

I agree, for Cino, I'd probably run a custom Suntour Perfect or ProCompe Ultra 6 speed with a 15T or 16T high-gear.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 06-17-22, 07:10 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
Have you been shown the New Winner freewheel literature and cog board layout?
It's got the info about what cog types were used on the various configurations. The configuration variations include ultra vs. regular spacing, and whether it was 5, 6, or 7 speed.

and the "service board", which is how bike shops stored and displayed the spare cogs and

You'll need to figure out what cogs and spacers you have, and then figure out what you will need for the desired freewheel.
For SunTour freewheels that aren't New Winners, the cog arrangements will be different.
It's possible that you'll want to take them apart to see exactly what you've got.

Steve in Peoria
Thanks Steve, for sharing the charts. That helps a bunch. I am hunting through the garage and basement for freewheels tonight, in hopes of finding more Suntour parts..

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
The Winner pictured is the original Winner. Notice there are no little holes spaced 180 degrees from each other. I've only had a few of these in my hands and I could never service them. However, the sprockets and spacers should be interchangeable with the New Winner, and vice versa. I'd personally use the New Winner body over the original Winner body.

You should be able to remove both sets of sprockets and mix them together with the 32T onto the New Winner body, as long as you only use either the Ultra-narrow spacers or the standard spacers. You should still have a 120mm compatible freewheel if you use the Ultra spacers.

With that said, I have switched wheelsets on my '71 Paramount. One wheelset could run an Ultra spaced Suntour freewheel, while the other wheelset did not have enough clearance for an Ultra 6 speed and could only handle a 5 speed.

Finally, I have found that Ultra 6 speed freewheels prefer a narrow 8 speed chain, such as a SRAM or KMC model for improved shifting.

Hope this is helpful.
Thanks pastorbobnlnh. I appreciate you chiming in with your expertise and wisdom on this subject. If I can find some more Winner freewheels here at home, I will likely use that Ultra 6 body as per your suggestion. I will keep you all posted.
Likes For Roger M: