Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Question about wheel truing

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-18, 08:14 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts

So the the other day I experienced a broken rear spoke during my ride. No big deal. It's happened plenty of times. Obviously the wheel goes out of true when this happens. When I got home I replaced the spoke, put the wheel in my Park TS-1, tensioned and trued it. Lateral (side to side) that is. I'm pretty good at that and can usually get it spot on. But the radial (vertical) truing is what I'm not so good at. In this case it's not really off by much (not even noticeable during subsequent ride) so I just left it alone. So...my question is...will/can a wheel re-gain radial true through the stressing of a ride? My thought is that if the other spokes aren't tightened that the pressures of riding on it might cause the "bump" or "flat spot" to even out. Is this crazy wishful thinking, or can it actually happen?

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 10-26-18 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-26-18, 08:23 AM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
The out of round condition relates to inconsistent spoke length after tensioning. I can't see that correcting itself while riding. Of course the wheel will stress relieve itself while riding if you don't manually do it after tensioning, but that's sort of a different subject.
Old 10-26-18, 08:26 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
If the rim itself is out of round - typically a flat spot - riding will not fix the problem. If it's due to spoke tension you would need a bit of luck for it to come back into round.
Old 10-26-18, 08:30 AM
Brofessor

Bikes: Schwinn Circuit 89'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't have scientific data to support this, but my guess is that most of the force from the road to the rim would be distributed around the rim via tire pressure, therefore there wouldn't be enough force to achieve that correction. You can ride without tire and see if that corrects things
Old 10-26-18, 02:28 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
How sure are you that the wheel was in perfect radial true before you had the broken spoke?
Old 10-26-18, 02:39 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
How sure are you that the wheel was in perfect radial true before you had the broken spoke?
The obvious answer is because the rider didn't notice any problem, so there couldn't have been one... Andy (while this sounds a bit snarky, it is human nature to assume the lack of awareness of a problem is the same as there being no problem)
Old 10-27-18, 05:43 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
No, your wheel won’t get round. Radially truing is hard for me too. Just adjust tension of spokes where you have an issue in very small increments and you should b able to get it true without throwing the wheel out of true laterally.. If you have to have significantly different tension in one spot to achieve radial true, you may have a dented rim.

The other thing that is hard, but you may want to check given your broken spoke issue, is spoke tension. Is your tension fairly even all the way around? If not, you may want detension and start fresh tensioning and truing the wheel.
Old 10-27-18, 05:55 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
I"ll join the chorus. Don't expect any truing problem, whether lateral, radial, dish, or spoke tension, to sort itself out under load.

Radial truing is an important skill in wheel building and maintenance, and it's no more difficult than any other aspect of the wheel. It could add a few minutes, if that, to the job.
Old 10-27-18, 07:22 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
When building a new wheel, get radial true first, then lateral, then back to radial, then lateral, back and forth in smaller and smaller increments. It is a little harder when fixing a single spoke because you don't feel the need to start from scratch.
Old 10-27-18, 03:34 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
el. If it was way off I would detension the wheel and start from scratch, I tend to work on radial true at first leaving the lateral until tension begins to build in the wheel. I find as the tension goes up it is more difficult to correct radial problems. I shoot for .5mm or less.
Old 10-30-18, 10:38 AM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
As others have said, detension completely and start with radial truing. I work on low spots first but I also work on high spots, back and forth, very incrementally. At this point it is not necessarily perfect but then I check lateral true to gt it to acceptable level. Then back to radial true. As tension builds, adjustments are smaller and smaller. I also periodically check for even tension with a tension meter.
Old 10-30-18, 09:27 PM
DOS

Here is a problem I just experienced that happens more pften than I care to admit. I will be working on a wheel where there is one spoke where the nipple is really tight and hard to turn, to the pointt I start rounding of the brass nipple, even though the spoke tension is about the same as other spokes. One one think the nipple would turn just the same as the others.

It just happened again tonight. I was truing up a wheel after replacing a nipple that kept coming loose (different spoke) when I noticed a lot of uneveness in the spoke tension around the wheel. The wheel is a couple of years old and was originally machine built, so I decided to detension to see if I could get more even tension (32h H Plus Son archetype rim on ultegra hub, 3x lacing). I managed to get things true and tension fairly even, within 10% variance all the way around. But I have one spoke where the nipple is near impossible to turn yet measures at about the same tensiion as the other driveside spokes. Very frustrating. I expect that it will hold spoke tension and the wheel is sound, but I don’t think I can live with it.
Old 10-30-18, 09:33 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Sounds like the threads are buggered up. Have you tried to replace the tight nipple and see what results? Andy
Old 10-30-18, 09:40 PM
DOS

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Sounds like the threads are buggered up. Have you tried to replace the tight nipple and see what results? Andy
Not yet. I didn’t really notice it until I was almost doen with final tensioning so powered through. But even though the wheel is rolling good and I got the tension right, I will replace the nipple to see if that does the trick.
Old 11-02-18, 11:59 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Broken spoke "plenty of times"? On the same wheel? If so you are past due to replace the full basket of spokes. Spokes fail from fatigue, when one is fatigued they are most likely all fatigued. Unless it was just a badly built wheel in the first place.

When nipples stick put some oil on them. If you have enough tension in your build oil will not make them loosen.

Yes, radial true is just different and usually a touch more difficult. On rims that are going to be straight, not old, cheap, or buggered rims, final tension pulls the rim round and will even pop out minor flat spots. If you aren't verifying tension with a meter you really have no idea how much tension you have or how even it is.